IGNORED

Off Season Plans

tefunk
Note: This thread is 3852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are probably another 5-8 weeks of golf left out this way, and as the season is coming to a close I'm pretty confident I won't be making my goal this year of becoming a single digit handicap (my game has been slipping downhill this past month and I should probably update the handicap on my profile now haha).

I'm starting to think about what I can do over the off season to be able to come out strong next year, and finally hit the single digits.  Here it is:

1:  I'm going to take a lesson every other week starting this Saturday, and through next March.  I'm going to strongly focus on mechanics, getting into good positions, and creating good habits.

2:  I have a net and mat set up in the basement, where I can take full swings and practice the things my coach suggests.  I plan to hit "at least" 100 balls a day.  I'm not too concerned about ball flight the first few months (October through mid-February), just mechanics.

3:  Come late February and through March, I'll start hitting the range for some of the practice sessions and start paying more attention to ball flight, etc... once the good swing habits are there.  There are two ranges out here with heated bays.

4:  I'm going to focus on getting back into shape, and work on some golf specfic exercises as well.

5:  As usual, I'll be putting on my cheapo mat just to keep the stroke grooved and smooth.

6:  I'm going to do a lot of skiing!  I know, not golf related, but I'm looking forwad to that part of the off season very much!

Just curious if anyone else has plans to improve their game during the off season, and what you'll be working on.  Good luck!

My off season plans:

If there is no snow on the ground and the temps are above freezing......I play.  If not.....I don't play.  Pretty simple...LOL

I don't practice....I play when I can.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I hang at an indoor facility in the winter and take lessons from an old golf pro. He doesn't do much besides draw lines on my vids and give me SBS analysis with pros he thinks are similarly built. I don't care it's part of the $30hr fees. He can email me and I do my own  inspection. But mostly I golf. I played more Nov-Jan last year summer.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are probably another 5-8 weeks of golf left out this way, and as the season is coming to a close I'm pretty confident I won't be making my goal this year of becoming a single digit handicap (my game has been slipping downhill this past month and I should probably update the handicap on my profile now haha).

I'm starting to think about what I can do over the off season to be able to come out strong next year, and finally hit the single digits.  Here it is:

1:  I'm going to take a lesson every other week starting this Saturday, and through next March.  I'm going to strongly focus on mechanics, getting into good positions, and creating good habits.

2:  I have a net and mat set up in the basement, where I can take full swings and practice the things my coach suggests.  I plan to hit "at least" 100 balls a day.  I'm not too concerned about ball flight the first few months (October through mid-February), just mechanics.

3:  Come late February and through March, I'll start hitting the range for some of the practice sessions and start paying more attention to ball flight, etc... once the good swing habits are there.  There are two ranges out here with heated bays.

4:  I'm going to focus on getting back into shape, and work on some golf specfic exercises as well.

5:  As usual, I'll be putting on my cheapo mat just to keep the stroke grooved and smooth.

6:  I'm going to do a lot of skiing!  I know, not golf related, but I'm looking forwad to that part of the off season very much!

Just curious if anyone else has plans to improve their game during the off season, and what you'll be working on.  Good luck!

Wow, that's an ambitious plan.  Good luck.

Out here in California,  we just need to deal with 2 - 3 rainy months, and short daylight hours.  This means 1/2 of usual playing time for golf.   I will likely increase my practice time at home - hitting plastic balls with iron, putting, chipping on carpet.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I get to go straight through for the most part, which is good because I didn't play for so many years I feel I need to 'catch up'.  Also, the fall is my favorite time to play anyway.  Once the heat breaks, it feels so good to go play.  And even in the dead of winter (what we call winter anyway), I prefer to play on 38* days than the 95* days here in Georgia anyway.  As rkim said, there is less daylight, so no after work buckets, 9's or playing the par 3.

I got a yearly pass to this driving range, unlimited golf balls. They have heated area with mats, so I will be there all winter working on my game. What i need to do is get one of my old irons reshafted with a heavier shaft so i can practice with that on the mats instead of hitting my new mizunos. Not really wanting to hit them off hard mats.

Usually my winter consists of slow steady practice indoors

Hitting golf balls at the range when weather permits

EXERCISE!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Move someplace warm. There's no off-season in so cal.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

there is no off season in georgia

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

I've got it made.  Hunting season and golf season don't conflict at all.  Slight overlaps but not too bad.  I'll give up year round golf for the bigger deer we have around here any time.  Those southern deer are about the size of my dog.  I enjoy both golf and hunting but don't want to do either all year.

In LA no off season and because it is a little cold out less people you walk right on early mornings....oh ya! :dance:

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

This summer was my first season back after a long lay-off and I'm REALLY not looking forward to having to put the clubs away. I'm hoping to keep my putting practice up at home and to try to get a couple of rounds in if the weathers not too bad. I also need to get in shape, not sure I want to spend another season dropping Advils just to get me through a round.

I've got it made.  Hunting season and golf season don't conflict at all.  Slight overlaps but not too bad.  I'll give up year round golf for the bigger deer we have around here any time. Those southern deer are about the size of my dog. I enjoy both golf and hunting but don't want to do either all year.

I'm guessing you've never been down here..... These guys were in my front yard about 6 weeks ago Oh yeah.....the deer season runs for five months and the bag limit is two deer.....daily! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm guessing you've never been down here.....

These guys were in my front yard about 6 weeks ago

Oh yeah.....the deer season runs for five months and the bag limit is two deer.....daily!

I'll be down in Jan after our rut.  I've got clubs and bow that travel well together.

Your plan is somewhat similar to what I did at the start of last off season- I took a few lessons with Golf Evolution before the snow hit the ground, but my basement is too confined (and dark) to provide them with the quality of video they were looking for so that stopped in November.

I ended up practicing pretty regularly until ski season kicked in but with over 100 days on the slopes, I didn't practice much from December through March.

I mostly liked the way I hit the ball this season so I have not done video in a while, but likely will as my final competitions wind down and the courses start to close over the next few weeks (two that I play close Sunday and the other I play regularly closes about a week later).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 3852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!