IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

• Administrator

I watched The Green Book and didn't know until the post-script stuff that it was based on a real-life story. It's an appropriate movie in the time of #BLM (or any time, really, but particularly so now).

I give it a par. What I thought would be pretty formulaic and old had a pair of interesting characters that, while it didn't really break the mold, at least managed to entertain and show a character arc for each.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Lying and Stealing, par, a good caper type movie. Plus, Emily Ratajkowski.

Wedding Daze, bogey. It's good for a number of funny stupid cheap laughs, but it's pretty darn shallow and dumb. Plus, Isla Fisher.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/7/2020 at 9:02 AM, iacas said:

I watched The Green Book and didn't know until the post-script stuff that it was based on a real-life story. It's an appropriate movie in the time of #BLM (or any time, really, but particularly so now).

I give it a par. What I thought would be pretty formulaic and old had a pair of interesting characters that, while it didn't really break the mold, at least managed to entertain and show a character arc for each.

I really enjoyed this movie and don’t think that any of the political shit going down today matters in terms of its relevancy. A great story about a time in our history when the racial divide was legitimized by law. Just a great story about two people bonding regardless of the world around them. If we focused more on stories like this, rather than what the powers that be want us fighting over, the world would be a better place. 
I would give this a birdie (I’ve been typing and editing for so long that I have no idea if I’m agreeing or disagreeing with Iacas).  

I rewatched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, eagle, because Mulan, par, just left me wanting for more. I want to give Mulan a bogey, but I'm rating it on the Disney remakes scale.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Hacksaw Ridge, which I could have guessed was based on a true story, but didn't know that going in.

I wondered first why it was taking so long to get to the war part, and in reality they also then skipped over quite a bit — the real life guy also was in Guam (or something) and somewhere else before going to Hacksaw Ridge, but he did save about 75 people from on top of the ridge, was wounded there, etc. He was the only conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor.

I give the movie a bogey. It was pretty much what you expect. The acting was fine, but not exemplary. The scenes and graphics and photography were good. It wasn't anywhere close to, say, Saving Private Ryan, but it did show some stuff that felt like it would be pretty realistic. The war scenes almost tipped it toward a par, but in the end it just lipped out.

I could have done without so much of the love story. It wasn't particularly relevant to his character arc. That would have made it a par or birdie, just focusing on the challenges he faced as a conscientious objector.

I don't know if docs belong in here, but The Social Dilemma is an Albatross (don't know if ratings get that good lol) in my book.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator

Jarhead, bogey. No real character development, no real movement of any kind. I appreciate the peek into the scenes, but… meh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Jackie, birdie. I didn't expect it to be this good, and once I got past the accent and manner of speaking (which was pretty close to accurate; I just had forgotten how Jackie Kennedy sounded), Natalie Portman does such an incredibly good job, particularly in the quiet times.

• Administrator

The Kitchen, birdie. Much better than I thought it would be. Enjoyed the twists and turns.

Midway - Par.  Fine performances from a well stacked cast.  Never boring nor slow, yet it still seems to be missing that little thing that makes a good film great.   Ed Skrein didn't wow me as the male lead, but he was still decent.

Corey

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Wimbledon, bogey. If the guy had still lost, maybe a par. It's a decent background movie for when you're not paying attention. Kirsten Dunst is not at all believable as a top tennis player. Her form is ridiculously bad.

Hubie Halloween - Par. Old school Adam Sandler feel with many actors from his other films. Stupid fun that the kids and I enjoyed.

Trial of the Chicago 7 - Bogey. Perhaps this is what happens when they take a true story and don't really dramatize it, but it felt flat throughout. 

- Mark

Hubie Halloween. Par! 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 3 weeks later...

The Day After (1983)  Par.  Made for tv movie from the Cold War era about what would happen to the States if Nukes were used in war.  For '83 and a being on network television, this one wasn't bad.  The visuals are obviously dated, but still worth a watch.  There's a fair number of current actors who you'll recognize, too.

Threads (1984)  Birdie.  This was the English take on the same subject, except shot with way less money and it followed a somewhat different direction than  TDA.  Honestly, I 'liked' this one more, although I have to admit that this is an even darker, bleaker take than its counterpart.  The feeling of dread and hopelessness stuck with me for a day or so afterwards.  I'm going to rewatch this again at some time in the future, but for right now, just...no.

Edited by Warren Zevon
crap grammar

Corey

Enola Holmes - Birdie. Surprisingly good, starring Millie Bobby Brown. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Weird Science, bogey. This movie is just dumb, and only nostalgia keeps this from being a double or worse. Additionally, the fact that it's like 80 minutes helps. At least it's over quickly.

The Taking Of Pelham 123(1974) Eagle

I'd never seen this before, but man was I impressed.  This one is all thriller, no filler.

Corey

We watched the first James Bond, "Dr. No" last night.   It is so amazing to see the difference between movies made back in the 60s compared to today's technology.   We are going to binge Bond movies for the next few weeks.  

For a movie of the 60 I give it a par, for today's rating it's a bogie. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny