IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

24 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

We watched the first James Bond, "Dr. No" last night.   It is so amazing to see the difference between movies made back in the 60s compared to today's technology.   We are going to binge Bond movies for the next few weeks.  

For a movie of the 60 I give it a par, for today's rating it's a bogie. 

I read in Sean Connery’s obit that Dr No was a low budget film and they chose him because he wouldn’t cost too much. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Ready or Not, a movie where the bride has to hide from midnight until dawn without getting murdered by the rich husband’s family.

It’s well liked on Rotten Tomatoes.

I give it… a… birdie. You have to totally suspend disbelief, of course, but the ending made it worthwhile. It’s not a movie you can watch a second or third time, but I’m glad to have watched it once.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Gentlemen

My wife really loved this movie, but it was a bit slow compared to other Guy Ritchie films.  The "gang" activity seemed kind of forced.  Scramble for par.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• Administrator

Richard Jewell, with Sam Rockwell, Kathy Bates, and Olivia Wilde.

Par.

It painted a pretty bad picture of Richard as far as his intellect. It glosses over a lot of things quickly, too, but at the end of the day it also paints a good picture of how his diligence saved lives.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Matrix-Dune-In-The-Heights.jpg?w=1000

Warner Bros is putting its 2021 theatrical slate on HBO Max for the films' first month of release, concurrent with a cinema release.

Whoa.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:
Matrix-Dune-In-The-Heights.jpg?w=1000

Warner Bros is putting its 2021 theatrical slate on HBO Max for the films' first month of release, concurrent with a cinema release.

Whoa.

Wow. Makes me think of Moviepass, when it was easy to use, I watched more movies that I normally would have. There are a bunch in this list I'd never give a screening, now that it's on a service I'm already subscribed to, will probably do the same.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Bone Tomahawk - Easy Par, was a little slow at the beginning or would've been a birdie.  But when it gets to the action, it is a great blend of horror and a western.  Kurt Russel was excellent in this movie.  Very enjoyable, wish I would've watched it earlier, not sure how I missed it.

The Burrowers  -Par - Another Western/Horror blend, enjoyable monster flick set in the west.

Being on a wester horror movie binge, another great is:

Ravenous (1999) - Birdie - It is a highly entertaining movie that is part western, part cannibalism, part Indian lore, great atmospheric setting and lots of black comedy. Guy Pearce and Richard Carlyle are great in their roles.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Bone Tomahawk - Easy Par, was a little slow at the beginning or would've been a birdie.  But when it gets to the action, it is a great blend of horror and a western.  Kurt Russel was excellent in this movie.  Very enjoyable, wish I would've watched it earlier, not sure how I missed it.

The Burrowers  -Par - Another Western/Horror blend, enjoyable monster flick set in the west.

Being on a wester horror movie binge, another great is:

Ravenous (1999) - Birdie - It is a highly entertaining movie that is part western, part cannibalism, part Indian lore, great atmospheric setting and lots of black comedy. Guy Pearce and Richard Carlyle are great in their roles.  

Ravenous is one of my favorites.  Thanks for the mention, it's time to dig the dvd out of the basement and give it a whirl again.

I wasn't impressed with Bone Tomahawk, but I was shocked by that one scene.

Corey

We finally watched Saturday Night Fever (1977) after all these years. Only a Par. Music was excellent and acting was good but the story was kind of lame. All the characters were jerks. I’m half Italian and I can’t stand that kind of Italian American.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Here's a short film.

Tenet - bogey. I'd give Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk all birdies or even better. While some of Tenet's set pieces were amazing, not quite enamored of the story although I got the gist of it. The soundtrack didn't resonate with me as well although I love Mando's score. I don't think it's a negative point that most will see one of the "twists" early in the movie, it's more seeing how it unfolds. Definitely not worth risking going to an actual theater to watch.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I watched three movies over the weekend, which might be more movies than I watched the rest of the year combined.

Jexi - birdie. Predictable romcom plot line but funny as hell.

Mulan (2020) - double bogey. This was bad. Disney is fortunate that COVID shut down theaters because this would have flopped. Fight scenes weren’t even good.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - par. Cute little fantasy movie that’s set in a known world. Done before, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, tehuti said:

Is Tenet worth all of the hype? I may rent it over the holiday weekend.

You'll have to buy it for 20 USD. Not rentable till next year.

Steve

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom - Birdie. Great acting but a very intense movie. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

WW84.

Double bogey.  Plot was so-so, the story was bad and there was not much action.  If you saw all the trailers, pretty much that's all the action there is.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Yukari said:

WW84.

Double bogey.  Plot was so-so, the story was bad and there was not much action.  If you saw all the trailers, pretty much that's all the action there is.

Mirrors my rating. So, I'll just quote that.

Miss Sloane, birdie. One of Jessica Chastain's best performances. I think I watched it awhile ago, 2016 or so, but I had forgotten enough it was worth a re-watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

People Like Us, birdie. Surprising. Better than expected. Good characters. Well acted. Very human, real.