IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Has anyone seen the new Comedy horror movie "Get Out" from Jordan Peele of Key & Peele fame?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Has anyone seen the new Comedy horror movie "Get Out" from Jordan Peele of Key & Peele fame?

Love K&P. Plan on seeing it soon. Stellar reviews. Mad box office. Josh from The West Wing is in it too.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Love K&P. Plan on seeing it soon. Stellar reviews. Mad box office. Josh from The West Wing is in it too.

some really good reviews as well regarding the movies treatment of the preconceived notions black men face from the so-called enlightened liberal whites.

Colin P.

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

some really good reviews as well regarding the movies treatment of the preconceived notions black men face from the so-called enlightened liberal whites.

Yeah. I'm staying away from the reviews, heard there are interesting twists. This movie is going to make at least $100m, only $5m to make.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah. I'm staying away from the reviews, heard there are interesting twists. This movie is going to make at least $100m, only $5m to make.

im worried its going to be too scary for me. i dont do super scary.

Colin P.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:52 AM, boogielicious said:

Arrival - Par. Good acting but the story was a bit slow in developing.

My wife and I saw this late on a date night. Almost put us to sleep 

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

im worried its going to be too scary for me. i dont do super scary.

I think it's going to be more like, gotcha!

Steve

Steve

On March 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM, colin007 said:

Get Out. Birdie. A movie you might want to see in the theater and cheer along with the audience. It wasn't that scary to me, a couple of jump scares, that's it, enjoyed it for the symbolism but not as wowed as the rave reviews for it. I enjoyed the movie and love K&P, but it didn't live up to the hype, which is more a commentary on today's hyperbole. Maybe when I have a week to think on it, the subtleties will become evident to me and then I'll give it a higher rating. 

Steve

NSFW. Didn't like John Wick, dunno why this is so appealing, Atomic Blonde trailer.

Steve

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Get Out. Birdie. A movie you might want to see in the theater and cheer along with the audience. It wasn't that scary to me, a couple of jump scares, that's it, enjoyed it for the symbolism but not as wowed as the rave reviews for it. I enjoyed the movie and love K&P, but it didn't live up to the hype, which is more a commentary on today's hyperbole. Maybe when I have a week to think on it, the subtleties will become evident to me and then I'll give it a higher rating. 

hmmm....i will have to contemplate doing that. my wife is black and shes always big on supporting films made by black directors and producers, but shes even more of a scaredy cat than i am.

Colin P.

hmmm....i will have to contemplate doing that. my wife is black and shes always big on supporting films made by black directors and producers, but shes even more of a scaredy cat than i am.

I really wouldn't consider it a horror movie, more thriller. 

Steve

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I like your taste in films @nevets88 and I agree with your review of Get Out. It was a little bit oversold, but I liked it. Interesting commentary on cultural appropriation, among other things. 

12 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

I like your taste in films @nevets88 and I agree with your review of Get Out. It was a little bit oversold, but I liked it. Interesting commentary on cultural appropriation, among other things. 

I've been listening to a slew of podcasts talking about it. It's generating a lot of interesting discussion, kind of like Westworld.

Steve

On 3/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, nevets88 said:

I really wouldn't consider it a horror movie, more thriller. 

Question - is there any kind of supernatural element? I'm not really down with that. 

Colin P.

Went to Logan last week.  Bogey.

I wouldn't say it was a bad movie in the sense that it was unwatchable but I was really expecting more.  Without being too spoiler-ish a few of the things that annoyed me were: 

Spoiler

Throughout the movie you hear talk of some "incident" but nobody ever explains what happened.  I don't know if I had missed a movie at some point (I didn't) or if this was supposed to build suspense and curiosity, all I know is I mostly just found it irritating.  The villains were never really explained either.  And oddly the third thing probably won't even be noticeable for most people but a large part of the movie takes place in Mexico and according to the credits filming was done in New Mexico.  Seems reasonable, right?  Other parts of the movie supposedly take place in North Dakota (near the Canadian border) which is my home state.  It's completely obvious they made no attempt to film the movie outside of New Mexico and hoped nobody would notice because the North Dakota scenes basically take place in open desert.  There is no open desert in North Dakota, and there is especially no open desert anywhere near the Canadian border.  It would be a stretch to say the scenes in the movie would even match what you would find in the badlands which are down along the border with South Dakota.  lol  As a North Dakota native it was just embarrassing watching them try to pass New Mexico off as the place where I grew up.

Anyway, I'm sure folks will enjoy the movie despite these things.  They went the rated R route with the language and violence which was a nice change of pace but overall I think the movie could have been a lot better.

Question - is there any kind of supernatural element? I'm not really down with that. 

No, no ghosts or spirits.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

50 years ago, The Graduate. PLASTICS!

Steve