IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

That scene with DiCaprio getting into the Lamborghini. Laughed till I cried.

Yeah awesome scene there, just that whole 10-15 minutes, especially when he takes his "Popeye" medicine.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Saw American Hustle with the wife this afternoon.

I give it a long putt made for a bogey. Very close to a double.

I never got into the movie at all. The acting was fine - nothing superb, honestly - just caricatures. But the only thing that could have saved the movie IMO was if the con had been MUCH bigger (seriously, it basically boils down to "we faked a lawyer") or if Jennifer Lawrence's character had been the one pulling the strings all along. There was no character development. I didn't care about any of them. The story was soft. Hell, the only thing I was hoping would resolves itself throughout the whole thing was the ice fishing story, and we never even heard the end of the ****ing thing.

It was weak, and it struck me as the kind of thing where people say it's great just so they're not separating themselves from the group.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This thread will be for the discussion of the most recent film/movie you've seen, news or discussion of movies you want to see, etc.

We'll enforce a gradsavinging scale of eagle, birdie, par, bogey, or double.

Last night the wife and I saw Saving Mr. Banks , starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks. The story about the making of Mary Poppins .

I rate it a birdie .

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I'll give Wolf of Wallstreet a par on a par-5 after an 8 footer missed for birdie.

Fun stuff though. Enjoyed myself. I love Terence Winter, so I had no problem with the length. I felt it was missing a little something-something though. Not sure what.

Constantine

Since golf is out of the question here on the East Coast, my wife and I have been seeing lots of movies the past 2 weeks:

Anchorman 2 - Not nearly as funny as the first one. They were trying too hard for laughs and not much worked. Rating 4 out of 10

American Hustle - Fabulously acted and terribly confusing. Rating 6 out of 10

Wolf of Wall Street - DiCaprio might finally get his Oscar. Wouldn't have minded the length, if it had more to say. Rating 6 out of 10

Frozen - The kids will love it, and you won't fall asleep. 7 out of 10

I felt it was missing a little something-something though. Not sure what.

From a New Yorker piece. Scorsese’s entire picture sparkles from end to end, dancing so hard and at such a sustained high pitch that it threatens to topple at any moment, and yet there is no lingering light to it, no nagging lesson in Jordan Belfort’s demise. My thoughts - that tennis court at the prison is nicer than many public tennis courts. He should have been doing hard labor with the chain gang as far as I'm concerned, not sure what really happened in real life.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The Way, Way Back - Birdie.  Sam Rockwell was excellent as the comedy relief.  The writer/directors were in the movie too, and funny.  I gave it a better grade than @JetFan1983 because of Sam Rockwell.  I agree that Steve Carell play a completely different role that we are used to.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I felt it was missing a little something-something though. Not sure what.

From a New Yorker piece.

Scorsese’s entire picture sparkles from end to end, dancing so hard and at such a sustained high pitch that it threatens to topple at any moment, and yet there is no lingering light to it, no nagging lesson in Jordan Belfort’s demise.

My thoughts - that tennis court at the prison is nicer than many public tennis courts. He should have been doing hard labor with the chain gang as far as I'm concerned, not sure what really happened in real life.

I've always had problems with "true story" movies and biopics, and I think WoWS is a good example of why. The ending just wasn't all that interesting to me, where they more or less had to stick to the true events. That's where I'd like to see some interesting fiction take over, so we as an audience can be taken somewhere truly entertaining. The last act suffered as a result of this "true story" thing, which is why I said it was a par on a par 5 (long movie) with a missed 8 footer for birdie.

But maybe an anti-climactic ending was what they wanted. Maybe they wanted to show us that these white collar scumbags get away with it and that should change.

The Way, Way Back - Birdie.  Sam Rockwell was excellent as the comedy relief.  The writer/directors were in the movie too, and funny.  I gave it a better grade than @JetFan1983 because of Sam Rockwell.  I agree that Steve Carell play a completely different role that we are used to.

In retrospect, I'm changing my score to a birdie as well. A missed GIR with a hole out from the sand. I've been thinking about the movie a lot lately, and I really did enjoy myself during it. It was a nice story, and lately I've had the urge to go back and watch it again.

I went to high school with Jim Rash's younger brother (one of the co-directors)... and his brother was a pretentious d-bag who I remember being a real dick to me on the first day of high school for literally no reason. So maybe that affected my score :-D .... although my memory could be skewed of the actual events and I possibly deserved it. It's hard to say. I think we all mellowed out by senior year.

But it's interesting that the guy's brother in real life might have been a (minor, ultimately harmless) tormentor of the main character of the older brother's story. I think I spent too much time trying to analyze the mindset of the family than just sitting back and enjoying the movie.

And if Chris searches this and finds my comment here, no hard feelings, buddy. It's high school. I get it. I did things I regret too.

Constantine

Saw "Mud" over the weekend. I bought it on Blue-Ray a while back and finally got to watch it.

I would say the ball lipped out for the eagle, and a tap in Birdie. The characters were great. Shockingly the kid actors in the movie were really good. Usually kid/teenager actors are not that good and can drag down a movie (Ender's Game from what I heard). Matthew McConaughey was really good. The writing was good. Solid movie. Personally I think they ending could have been better. Though I understand it from a philosophical point of view based around the movie's underlying themes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I keep hearing amazing things about Mud. Missed the 99 cent rental on iTunes. Will eventually catch it. Really want to watch "Her". Getting rave reviews.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Saw Prisoners during the weekend and would give it an eagle on an easy par 5.  Intense thriller, great performances by Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal with a little twist at the end.  Has some Breaking Bad-esque qualities where you might be asking yourself how far  you would go if you were put in this position.  Not the movie to go see if you want a light hearted date night

I just watched this the day after Christmas and thought it was excellent.  Many times I thought I knew where it was going and was wrong.  It really keeps you guessing.  I think an eagle on an easy par 5 is dead on.

SEE

THIS

MOVIE

In IMAX if possible.

I'd give this an eagle.  Probably the most visually impressive movie I've ever seen.  Great use of 3D--not gimmicky at all.

The Way, Way Back - Birdie.  Sam Rockwell was excellent as the comedy relief.  The writer/directors were in the movie too, and funny.  I gave it a better grade than @JetFan1983 because of Sam Rockwell.  I agree that Steve Carell play a completely different role that we are used to.

I'm with boogielicious--birdie for this one.  It was cool to see Carell in a different role.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Since golf is out of the question here on the East Coast, my wife and I have been seeing lots of movies the past 2 weeks:

Anchorman 2 - Not nearly as funny as the first one. They were trying too hard for laughs and not much worked. Rating 4 out of 10

American Hustle - Fabulously acted and terribly confusing. Rating 6 out of 10

Wolf of Wall Street - DiCaprio might finally get his Oscar. Wouldn't have minded the length, if it had more to say. Rating 6 out of 10

Frozen - The kids will love it, and you won't fall asleep. 7 out of 10

Still trying to catch up on reading all of these threads. I see I didn't rate correctly, according to the threads guidelines, so I will try again:

Anchorman 2 - Bogey

American Hustle - Around the cup and in for a par.

Wolf of Wall Street - A solid par

Frozen - An Eagle for the kiddies, a par for the adults.

The Grandmaster

Saw this earlier in the year, but it's available on iTunes now and will watch it again tonight. This movie defies categorization. It looks like an action movie, but it's more an art-house indie love story with martial arts. The cinematography is excellent, as well as the fight sequences.

This is a bit spoilery, in terms of who wins, but one of the best parts:

• Upvote 1

Steve

My wife and I saw Saving Mr. Banks today. I have to admit after seeing the trailer I had no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie. My wife wanted to see it so I decided I was going to hate it, but I would go.

To my surprise The movie, although a bit slow at times, won me over, a really terrific performance by Emma Thompson is surely the reason to see this movie.

A real surprise and a definite birdie for me.

If you love Raiders of the Lost Ark , you must watch this. It's a commentary running along with the movie with everyone involved commenting plus behind the scenes clips.

Load up Vimeo on your big flat panel and enjoy. There's a screen test w/Tom Selleck (Sacre bleu!) and Sean Young. Glad that didn't work out (sorry Tom.)

Steve

My favorite DVD commentaries are The Evil Dead and The Buddy Holly Story. Gary Busey goes full out batshit crazy on that one.

Corey

My favorite DVD commentaries are The Evil Dead and The Buddy Holly Story. Gary Busey goes full out batshit crazy on that one.

It's not a DVD commentary - it's done by a dedicated fan. It's better too!

Steve

• Administrator

I'd forgotten the nice history lesson at the beginning of The Kingdom .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets