IGNORED

What type of golf ball consumer category do you fit most?

tlstarkk
Note: This thread is 3851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will only touch a Precept Laddie.  That's because I went a little crazy 2 years ago and bought over 100 refurbished laddies.  Actually, I will play any ball I happen to find, too - but I don't hunt for balls.  Even without hunting, I find a fair amount.  I play cheap courses so I typically don't find ProV1's.  I find crap like "Nitro Blasters" and other brands that sound made up, lol.  When I do happen upon a Nitro Blaster or something on the course, I will typically hit it away at some point during the round . .you know, like taking a second shot to try to see if I can clear the water with an 8 iron, etc, etc.  I'm quite used to the Laddies and don't mind them at all. On the very rare occassion that I buy some new balls . .I will buy something that is rated for low-mid swing speeds .. but I don't care what brand, really.  Bridgestones are nice.  Callaways are, too.

So I guess I'm:

A, B (but I don't hunt for them) and E.

I would really like to try a ProV1 but everytime I go to buy one, David Feherty pops up from behind the counter and humiliates me.

A.  Plays the ball that is supposed to be designed for your handicap/swing-speed.

B.  Only plays a Pro V1.. will not touch any other ball.

C.  Plays any ball found on the course/hunts for lost golf balls all the time.

D.  Buys any ball that is on sale.

E.  Buys recycled golf balls.

F.  None of the the above.  For the last 2 years I've played Srixon Z-Star, and now I have a dozen Q-Stars in my bag which I'll break out the next time I play.  I play them because I like them.  I don't know if they are better than anything else - probably not.  To be honest, I've never really fallen in love with any ball since the Titleist Tour Balata became extinct.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm C *only search for them when I'm waiting on people in front of me* but I know what ball I'm "fit" for is hex chrome. I may buy some but right now 30+ dollars per dozen isn't economical for me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I should have added that if I find a DT SOLO ball that immediately becomes my playing ball. On a side note... how bad does a scuff have to be before it affects playability?
  • Upvote 1

imo a scuff has to make the ball decidedly "not round" for me to put it away.
but, i am also willing to put away a ball that starts to get an attitude with me

I am sort of none of the above. A Noodle is my cheap ball, and DT Solo is my medium priced ball. I may try some Wilson Duos soon. For a premium ball, I lean toward the Bridgestone 330RX or 330, but I also like ProV's. I did go to a Bridgestone fitting a couple of years ago, and was right on the line between the 330 and RX with about a 103-104 clubhead speed and my numbers were actually better with the 330. Price is somewhat a factor, but I usually play about 9 holes a week and don't lose a lot of balls on my home course. A sleeve will usually last me a month (36 holes) unless I play somewhere else. This year I have been playing a lot of vintage golf (persimmon and blades) and the Solo and RX work pretty well with those.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I play a range ball with the thick red stripe on it. Its awesome to beat someone with it, its like losing to a girl. And if I'm beat I can blame the ball.

I'd watch where you play it.  I've played courses where you would be ejected for playing a range ball.  Range balls cost money, and stealing them is considered petty theft.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I have played a lot of different balls over the years and don't see a difference in my scores from one brand/type to the other.  So I purchase used balls or over runs or use ones I can find.  But I am not a ball hunter on the course.

Butch

Note: This thread is 3851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!