IGNORED

Are expensive golf balls worth it?

Note: This thread is 3811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually think I'm gonna buy Callaway HEX Chrome+ and give it a try.  It's obviously a step up from the cheapies I've been using but without spending a fortune on golf balls.

At your level, you should definitely be able to tell the difference between balls in feel and certain areas of performance. Is it worth it-in terms of lowering your score-probably not if your are talking about a ProV or Bridgestone 330 vs many less expensive but quality balls. I am only slightly ahead of you in scoring, but I have been playing a long time. I can definitely feel the difference, but I doubt if my score would be affected more than a stroke or two, maybe not at all. FWIW, my cheap ball is a Noodle $12-15/doz., the "Practice" version is about half that if you can find them and I can't tell them from regular ones. My medium priced ball is the DT SoLo, about $20/doz--really the high end of cheap balls, but for me as good as balls in the $25-30 range. A lot of folks like the Top Flite Gamer from Dick's, also in the 20-25 range. This is way different from the Top Flite "rocks" you mentioned. In a premium ball, I like the Bridgestone 330 series slightly better than the ProV's, but both are good. I occasionally splurge for some of these because they feel great and perform great, and I don't lose many. With my game though, I don't realize enough extra performance to justify it. On the other hand, a 73 C10 and a new Silverado LTZ will both haul the garbage cans to the street, but the experience is quite different.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really don't think "expensive balls" are the key for you at this point as much as selecting a ball and sticking to it.

When your handicap is down into the single digits you won't lose so many balls, and at that point more expensive balls won't cost as much as they will now when you may lose more of them.  However, I really think most golfers can benefit from using the same (or very similar) balls all the time.  Less expensive balls won't stop as quick on the greens, and won't feel as soft putting maybe, but it is about being used to what they DO feel like, and how much roll to expect that really counts.  I know some guys that save some money hitting whatever they scavenged from the woods yesterday, but none of them play very well.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

ok, so i know i put up a response to this already....

but today i did a comparison of the titleist NXT Tour, Tour S, and ProV1x, and SoLo

Since it's been raining for the past couple of days here, the greens are extremely soft... So everything just sticks..

But even as i told one of the guys in the club house, If the NXT tour, Tour S, ProV1X and Solo was all blank, and i hit them all.. I probably could not tell the diffference...

I know the SoLo seemed to be about 10 yards farther than everything else...  But short of that..  the big difference that i noticed is the amount of fade I was getting with ball...

but my rankings of how straight the ball went goes like this....  Solo, NXT Tour S, Tour, and ProV1x..

and really if i didnt have the fade with the ProV1X, i think it might of actually out distanced all the balls, because even with the fade, it still had the same distance..  it's just 10 to 15 yards to the right lol....

It is what it is

No.

No.

No.

Premium balls spin more...which, if not hit correctly will hurt your game - cause you to go right and left - when you aren't trying to.

A great mid-range ball is the Top-Flite Gamer.  Seriously...I shot a one under par with one as the club pro tossed me a sleeve on the way out and asked me to tell him what I thought of them!

However, the Mojos are in the same category.

The Hex Chrome + are for a 100 mph swing, right?  And are pretty pricey?

Let us know how that turns out for you.

It would be interesting to hear your story.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

No. No. No. Premium balls spin more...which, if not hit correctly will hurt your game - cause you to go right and left - when you aren't trying to. A great mid-range ball is the Top-Flite Gamer.  Seriously...I shot a one under par with one as the club pro tossed me a sleeve on the way out and asked me to tell him what I thought of them!   However, the Mojos are in the same category.  The Hex Chrome + are for a 100 mph swing, right?  And are pretty pricey?     Let us know how that turns out for you.   It would be interesting to hear your story.

But wrong on this. Most premium golf balls will spin higher for wedges, but are very much lower spin for drivers as well. They do a good job mixing in compressions and different layers to achieve this.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I went to Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and spoke to the guy there.  We looked at a few golf balls and I hit 1 ball in the simulator with a 7-iron (I believe it was) and it showed the ball speed of 110MPH.  That was the main number I remember seeing and the one he spoke about the most.  again, I only hit once because he asked me to in order to get an idea of the type of ball that would be best.  He said a lower compression ball and/or something with low spin.  They had 2012's Titleist ProV1X on sale for $35.00 so I ended up buying those.  I have no idea if that ball speed number is good, bad, average, or terrible but that's what the screen showed.  maybe yall know more about whether it's decent or not??

I went to Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and spoke to the guy there.  We looked at a few golf balls and I hit 1 ball in the simulator with a 7-iron (I believe it was) and it showed the ball speed of 110MPH.  That was the main number I remember seeing and the one he spoke about the most.  again, I only hit once because he asked me to in order to get an idea of the type of ball that would be best.  He said a lower compression ball and/or something with low spin.  They had 2012's Titleist ProV1X on sale for $35.00 so I ended up buying those.  I have no idea if that ball speed number is good, bad, average, or terrible but that's what the screen showed.  maybe yall know more about whether it's decent or not??

Probably not the best place to go for an expert opinion, but I don't think it matters much.  $35 for a dozen ProV1's is a great deal.

For the record, 110 mph for a 7 iron isn't bad.  I did some testing with a 6-iron (which I hit about 180) about a year ago and my ball speed was 121-122 or so.

I am new to the forum and just trying to get opinions on golf balls and whether or not they honestly make a difference in play?  Just some background info, I'm not great and frankly have no idea what my "handicap" is or how to even calculate it!  I play for fun with my brother-in-law and father-in-law; however, that doesn't mean I'm not competitive and want to get better.  This is my first full year of playing golf on a very regular basis, taking lessons, swing anaylsis, etc.

My question, is whether or not it's worth it for me to spend the money to play Titleist ProV1X golf balls and if I would even notice the slightest difference in any aspect of my round of golf?  I've been playing with TopFlite D2+ Distance since they are cheap at the sporting goods store I use.  I don't notice anything special about these balls so was contemplating using the more expensive ball but before I spend $50 on 12 balls, is it worth it???  Thanks!!

If you're questioning on whether a $50 golf ball is going to help your game compared to a $15 golf ball, you should probably go ahead and get the cheaper one because you won't notice the difference.  What's your handicap?

Guys,

The subject line of this thread is misleading.

The OP has just played one year of golf for "fun" and he's asking if buying $50/dozen ball is worth it for him.  I can't believe some of you are recommending that he uses Pro V1 (aka "expensive ball") to improve his score.   Having been through year 1 of picking up golf in later in life, I can't see why someone like OP should be suing $50/dozen ball.   Any decent $20/dozen ball will do well for him and most likely improve his scores, too (less spin, more distance).

OP - not everything you read in internet is true ;-) .

Enjoy golf, you will :beer: .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Are expensive golf balls worth it?

Yes and no.

Yes, if you have a solid consistent swing and you are able to take advantage of the features that are designed into a premium ball.

No, If you do not have a solid consistent swing.

You will probably be better off starting out with a ball that is designed more for distance and a higher launch. This way it will not be as painful when you watch your $4-$5 premium ball sail onto the pond.

If you can hit your irons with very precise distance and direction, expensive balls are worth every penny.  You will never be able to get cheaper balls to spin like the more expensive balls will and being able to hit it to a very precise distance and get the ball to stop quickly can go a long way to lowering your scores.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I would say what's more important is sticking with one golf ball. Constantly changing can throw your game.

I prefer a better players golf ball (Urethane Cover) because of the soft feel. Couple that with some nice irons, I could stand out there all day hitting iron shots just because it feels good. Like a golfer's high when you hit an iron shot flush with a premium golf ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I would say what's more important is sticking with one golf ball. Constantly changing can throw your game. I prefer a better players golf ball (Urethane Cover) because of the soft feel. Couple that with some nice irons, I could stand out there all day hitting iron shots just because it feels good. Like a golfer's high when you hit an iron shot flush with a premium golf ball.

I disagree, changing balls won't make much of a difference. I've played balls that don't spin as less and after 3 chips before a round I can already tell and adjust accordingly

I'm not really talking about chipping, just the whole game. I rather play one ball and stick with that ball. If i suddenly switch to a cheap ball, that could add significant spin to my driver shots, which would be bad for someone who hits the ball hard. Also, slightly different sound off the club could throw off the irons, and putting as well.

Here's the thing, most amateurs don't stick with one ball even for a round. They just pull out a ball in the bag, and go. Even you play one ball, but you practice with it before the round to get use to it. So in some regards you proved my point, that you still need to get use to a ball if you change it. I rather not have to bother with it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Like I've posted elsewhere I didn't mind the Top Flite D2s I was using this summer, I think they're an excellent ball for a new player and can be found for a dollar a ball or less.  I'm really not a fan of balls in the $25-40 range, you're paying a bunch of money for balls and still not hitting Pro V1s so it's basically money down the toilet IMO.  Either pony up for Pro V1s and try like hell not to lose them or get the best ball for your money and go from there.

Dick's has Top Flite Gamer Tour on sale for $20 for a dozen and that's what I've been using lately, I like them.  They also had Srixon Q-star on sale, 2 dozen for $45 I think the last time I looked which I think are also supposed to be an excellent ball.

Note: This thread is 3811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!