IGNORED

Nike Golf

andy walker
Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There does seem a lot of haters on Nike Golf products,Just wondering how deep this goes.

I now play Nike 20XI-X balls, wear Tour Elite gloves and Lunar Control shoe,equipment I really trust and enjoy....However I'm yet to find a club that I can put in the bag.The Covert Tour came close but no better then my Callaway Extreme Fit.

Wedges and Fairways seem the worst to me.I think the irons are pretty good.

TAYLORMADE M2 10.5* MATRIX OZIK BLACK TIE 60S

TAYLORMADE SLDR 17* OBAN DEVOTION 4 60S

CALLAWAY APEX CF16 FORGED 4-PW TT XP95 S300

TITLEIST VOKEY SM5 52F* 60K*

TITLEIST SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT SELECT

BRIDGESTONE B330-S

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the clothing, well made and lasts, on sale you can get some really good deals.

Tried the irons and the driver when I was in the market both seemed well made and hit great and the prices where not bad from what I remember.

For some of us that are not big hitters and like a soft ball the Nike crush is a great ball and not a bad price. I am sure there are a half dozen in my bad right now. Between the e6 and the crush these are two of my favorite balls to play.Who cares if it says Nike on any of there stuff it is just a brand.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I have the Nike Performance carry stand bag and it's been great. I play the Nike PD Soft, and Nike Vapor Black balls sometimes as well. I like them both. Of course I'm not a scratch or low handicapper either, but these products seem good for me.

I regularly play the Top Flight Gamer ball, but when I get a good deal on the Nike's I pick them up too.

Another vote for the clothes.  Picked up a few shirts during the summer and really like the way the style/colors and the way they fit.

Andy, you can check out some of our Nike equipment reviews

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/nike_vr_s_covert_and_covert_tour_drivers_review

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/nike_vr_s_forged_irons_review

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like my SV Tour 56º wedge but that's the only Nike I own or have experience with.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've got the Covert Tour driver, the VR Forged Pro Combos, and an older Unitized putter. EDIT: I should note that I like them all. I've also got the Lunar Control shows, which I also like.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

This may have something to do with it.

683 million in golf related sales last year were reported, clubs were down each of the previous 4 years, sometimes double digit.  out of that 683 million only about 180 million was in golf clubs, balls and accessories, the remainder was in apparel and shoes.

175-190 million isn't that much considering what marketing, athlete costs, cost of goods and distribution WORLDWIDE.

Cleveland srixon for example is 400 million, Taylormade hard goods only, apparel is another division does 2.1 billion and was up 27% last year alone.  this year is flat to down a touch.

truth be told Nike really isn't a player in golf hard goods, apparel on the other hand is very good marketshare.

After 17 years in the golf industry, with tiger, and now Rory they still are not being considered as an innovator and leader in clubs and balls. oh they have some fans and there is a lot of snobbery in our little game but when it comes time to choosing product there are other companies that get the lion share of the business.

As a retailer, they NIKE are over distributed and build too much inventory further diluting their own brand.

case in point I recently saw a new covert tour driver, for 139.00 with 3 dozen 20X1 included, the driver was less than 6 months old and retailed for 349 with the tour shaft. The store owner said he had dozens in the back room, every time the price is lowered Nike send him more of the same model as a buy down credit.  He also said they still were not selling. "sold a couple last  April and May, then it was good night Irene.If it goes any cheaper I may take the heads off and just sell the shafts"

Vr Tw Blades are sweet :)

:titleist: 913 D2 8.75* Adilia Tour Green 65 Stiff Shaft

Rocketballz Stage 2 3Wood 15* Stiff Shaft

Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 Shaft

CG Forged Dark Chrome CC Gap Wedge 52*

RAC Black TP 56*

:cleve: 588 RTX 60*

White Smoke IN-12 Blade Putter     Penta TP5

I use the Covert Tour Driver and 3 Wood and the VR Pro Blades. I also use the 20XI-X ball. Personally, I think Nike's equipment is underrated. A lot of people perceive Nike's equipment as bad before even trying it, which is probably why they hit it poorly when if they actually do test it out.

Nike doesn't really market their equipment as much as they used to and when they do, it's not really specific to one thing. The Tiger and Rory commercial early this year, what were they advertising exactly? Their latest ads were focused more on their shoes and clothing.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I use the Covert Tour Driver and 3 Wood and the VR Pro Blades. I also use the 20XI-X ball. Personally, I think Nike's equipment is underrated. A lot of people perceive Nike's equipment as bad before even trying it, which is probably why they hit it poorly when if they actually do test it out.

Nike doesn't really market their equipment as much as they used to and when they do, it's not really specific to one thing. The Tiger and Rory commercial early this year, what were they advertising exactly? Their latest ads were focused more on their shoes and clothing.

They do less marketing and advertising now of course because the buying season for the consumer is late Feb March, April, May and June.....and they spend gazillions during that period

I like their clothing and Method 001 putter.  Their shoes are too narrow for my feet and I didn't like the Covert irons.

Joe Paradiso

I like Nike golf shoes.  Just seem to fit me better.  I own an old set of Nike irons (CPRs) that I still use upon occasion and for GI irons these were ahead of their time.  I also like their clothing but not the prices, but find it on sale sometimes.

Butch

I like their clothing as well. A buddy of mine just picked up a new pair of their shoes (I think the ones tigers wearing). He thinks they are the nicest shoes he's owned and are very comfortable.

I don't know if the equipment is underrated per say.  I know in my situation I have no doubt that their equipment in up to snuff and would perform as well as any other, but I have a mental block I can't get over to actually respect them as a golf brand.  I just think when most people decide to buy new sticks, they've been fantasizing about Titleist's new blades, Cleveland's new wedges or Taylormade's new driver (just examples), not anything that Nike has made.

Under rated equipment..? No, definitely not. I just picked up my new set of VR Pro Combo irons by Nike and they're the nicest clubs I've ever hit. But as always, every brand has fanboys. It was a really tough call between those clubs and the Mizuno MP-4's. Damn those clubs are sweet....

Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!