IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand the problem. If there is no dress code why should someone be considered trash for what they are wearing. If there is a dress code and they  don't abide by it they don't play. Just because you don't like what someone wears is your problem not theirs. I personally don't care for someone coming to the golf course in a tank top and ragged jeans shorts, but if there is no dress code, again what is the problem. If you don't like it try to get the dress code implemented simple as that.

Agree 100%

You show up at a function, looking like Gomer Pile, (i.e., wedding, funeral, business function, etc.), don't expect much respect.

And don't  try to defend why you need to look like trash to others at a specific venue. You are what you are. You brought how your treated on yourself.

You lost me here jimmyc.  If the course allows jeans then that is appropriate clothing for that course, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks.

At a wedding, some people wear tuxedo's, some business suits and some just wear sports coats with slacks.  Should we treat those in sports coats as low class because they are the most casually dressed at the wedding?

Not sure if you've shopped for jeans lately, but they've come quite a way since Levi's and Lee were the only ones making them.  Price tags on some of these jeans are well beyond what most people pay for suits.  I get you don't like the look on a golf course but if they're permitted you'd be wrong to treat someone with little respect for wearing them.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And the other 65 days are, what, days you don't leave the house so you don't even bother putting on shorts?

I'm wearing jeans ;-)

Agree 100%

You show up at a function, looking like Gomer Pile, (i.e., wedding, funeral, business function, etc.), don't expect much respect.

And don't  try to defend why you need to look like trash to others at a specific venue. You are what you are. You brought how your treated on yourself.

I don't understand the problem. If there is no dress code why should someone be considered trash for what they are wearing. If there is a dress code and they  don't abide by it they don't play. Just because you don't like what someone wears is your problem not theirs. I personally don't care for someone coming to the golf course in a tank top and ragged jeans shorts, but if there is no dress code, again what is the problem. If you don't like it try to get the dress code implemented simple as that.

I don't understand the issue either.  Jimmy, if there is no dress code, then there isn't a problem.  End of story.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloverUT

And again I will gladly state that I am glad these type of people are so transparent.  If you respect/disrespect me based on my clothing then your opinion is of no value to me.  And I won't have to worry about how you treat me as I will not be around you.

I'm right there with you.  I find it amazing how many people have such strong opinions of strangers that are based on dress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloverUT

And for the record, this is coming from someone who wears slacks on the course.  But I play with plenty of people who don't and have a great time doing so.

Yeah, same here.  I like dressing nice to play golf, which includes slacks when it's not too hot, but I just can't fathom forming a negative opinion on somebody because they do not.

I can.  There are always going to be people who are shallow and phony.  I've been around for almost 67 years and I've seen them my whole life.  Fortunately I've learned to disregard what they say as petty and mostly irrelevant.  I had better upbringing than that.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It seems to me that the folks on this thread who believe jeans are an affront to the honor and tradition of golf are the same folks who can't be bothered to punctuate or spell correctly when tapping out posts on their smartphones.

Smartphones are an affront to the honor and tradition of the English language.  I'm offended.

:offtopic: mini-rant complete.

• Upvote 3

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Maybe I'm the sore thumb of the group, but I believe regardless of dress code, there shouldn't be jeans on a golf course.  If you go to the beach, are you going to wear dress pants and a suit jacket while you swim?  No.  If you go to a wedding are you going to wear shorts and a t-shirt?  No.  So why would you bring jeans to a golf course...  I'm not saying it's illegal or anything, but I just think it shows bad taste.  I'm pretty sure every man owns at least one pair of non-jean shorts and some type of slacks, so why are those hard to put on?  All in all - do what you want, but expect odd looks and less respect when you show up to a country club wearing jeans.  At a country club I worked at in college, we wouldn't allow dining guests to wear jeans...much less on the actual golf course.  Respect the sport.

I wear slacks, shorts, and sometimes yes, jeans. All considering and abiding by any course decorum or dress codes. I don't like cargo shorts or cargo pants for any occasion except maybe hunting/hiking. I am not crtical if you wear them, but I won't. I wear golf/bermuda shorts kakhi, navy or black, and slacks the same although I will wear some patterned slacks. This year, for no particular reason, I have worn slacks more than shorts. As Erik said, the reduced chance of sunburn/skin cancer more than offsets the discomfort, providing you wear summer weight pants. The course I play most often does allow decent jeans, and I will occasionally wear them , though usually tan or black and not blue. I do like jeans especially in damp conditions as my slacks are cuffed and jeans not, so the little wet grass clippings aren't a problem and as others said you don't ruin the cuffs/hem of your slacks. I like decent jeans in the winter for the same reason and for warmth. I do try to know and adhere to the club/course dress codes and norms. Not that I would ever get to play there, but Winged Foot does not allow denim or anything that looks like jeans on the premises by anyone over the age of 12. They also do not allow shorts in the grill after 7:00 on weekends, let alone the dining room. You also have to be over 65 or have a medical to use a cart, and even if you use a cart, I think you are still required to use a caddy. Now that is respect for the game! Pretty cool.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Maybe I'm the sore thumb of the group, but I believe regardless of dress code, there shouldn't be jeans on a golf course..

Don't worry, you're one of several.

If you go to a wedding are you going to wear shorts and a t-shirt?  No.

Not all weddings are equal, wouldn't you agree?  I got married at night in New York City, and our recommended dress was basically black-tie.  My wife's best frined got married on a beach in Kauai ... would it make sense to wear a tuxedo to that one???  Her cousin, who just got married last month, had her wedding in a barn on a ranch in upstate New York along the Hudson River.  Dress was "country casual."  Would you have worn your tux to that one too?

So why would you bring jeans to a golf course...  I'm not saying it's illegal or anything, but I just think it shows bad taste.

No, it doesn't.  Again, we're talking about courses that actually ALLOW jeans to be worn.  All it shows is that the person is more comfortable in jeans than any other type of pants.  So what?

Further, even if I saw a guy in denim at a place that DIDN't allow jeans, I would not think he was lacking taste or manners ... I would suspect that he was more likely a beginning golfer and completely unaware of the dress code.  And, I would bet, more often than not, I'd be right.

Respect the sport.

OK, here's the problem.  You are implying that there is some sort of universal dress code that should apply to the entire sport, and that is incorrect.  Think about this ... there are thousands and thousands of golf courses around the world.  From private country clubs that cost 100k a year (or more) to be a member, all the way down to junky run-down 9-hole courses that cost $2 that you slip into a box on the first tee.  If the expensive CC was equivalent to an exclusive Paris restaurant where a suit and tie was required, then I think it would be safe to say that the 9-hole place would be more like a McDonalds. eh?

Now, how ridiculous would it be if I scoffed at people at McDonalds who WEREN'T in suits and ties and said "What's the matter with you?  Don't you respect the food??"

If we were truly concerned with respect of the sport of golf and its origins, we would wear this and only this:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Don't worry, you're one of several.

Not all weddings are equal, wouldn't you agree?  I got married at night in New York City, and our recommended dress was basically black-tie.  My wife's best frined got married on a beach in Kauai ... would it make sense to wear a tuxedo to that one???  Her cousin, who just got married last month, had her wedding in a barn on a ranch in upstate New York along the Hudson River.  Dress was "country casual."  Would you have worn your tux to that one too?

No, it doesn't.  Again, we're talking about courses that actually ALLOW jeans to be worn.  All it shows is that the person is more comfortable in jeans than any other type of pants.  So what?

Further, even if I saw a guy in denim at a place that DIDN't allow jeans, I would not think he was lacking taste or manners ... I would suspect that he was more likely a beginning golfer and completely unaware of the dress code.  And, I would bet, more often than not, I'd be right.

OK, here's the problem.  You are implying that there is some sort of universal dress code that should apply to the entire sport, and that is incorrect.  Think about this ... there are thousands and thousands of golf courses around the world.  From private country clubs that cost 100k a year (or more) to be a member, all the way down to junky run-down 9-hole courses that cost $2 that you slip into a box on the first tee.  If the expensive CC was equivalent to an exclusive Paris restaurant where a suit and tie was required, then I think it would be safe to say that the 9-hole place would be more like a McDonalds. eh?

Now, how ridiculous would it be if I scoffed at people at McDonalds who WEREN'T in suits and ties and said "What's the matter with you?  Don't you respect the food??"

Once again I see where you're coming from, but we're talking about the same venue...a golf course.  A golf course is a golf course is a golf course.  There are always going to be differences from place to place, but bottom line is you're playing the same sport.  If you're on a baseball team, are you going to wear baseball pants in Fenway and jeans at a local parks and recreation field because it's not "as nice"?  No...you're going to wear what is generally expected in that sport's dress code (i.e. baseball pants).  Why would you not carry those same values in a sport that demands more courtesy and professionalism than the other major sports around the world?  How many times have you seen professional golfers wearing jeans/jean shorts?  I'm going to guess between ZERO and maybe two (and I know that guess is right).  It could also be possible that EVERY golfer I have ever seen wearing jeans has zero respect for the course, NO golf etiquette, and couldn't hit a golf ball into the ocean from the shore if they were aiming at it has something to do with my "jean opinion".  Wear what you want, but just know that I'm one of MANY golfers out there that are going to look at you and say, "Wow...do you see this redneck over here in jeans?"

I can't believe that we've gone six pages without anyone mentioning "manpris":), and I even suspect that you could get them in denim... FYI k this is from my smartphone.

Once again I see where you're coming from, but we're talking about the same venue...a golf course.  A golf course is a golf course is a golf course.  There are always going to be differences from place to place, but bottom line is you're playing the same sport.  If you're on a baseball team, are you going to wear baseball pants in Fenway and jeans at a local parks and recreation field because it's not "as nice"?  No...you're going to wear what is generally expected in that sport's dress code (i.e. baseball pants).  Why would you not carry those same values in a sport that demands more courtesy and professionalism than the other major sports around the world?  How many times have you seen professional golfers wearing jeans/jean shorts?  I'm going to guess between ZERO and maybe two (and I know that guess is right).  It could also be possible that EVERY golfer I have ever seen wearing jeans has zero respect for the course, NO golf etiquette, and couldn't hit a golf ball into the ocean from the shore if they were aiming at it has something to do with my "jean opinion".  Wear what you want, but just know that I'm one of MANY golfers out there that are going to look at you and say, "Wow...do you see this redneck over here in jeans?"

And again I will gladly state that I am glad these type of people are so transparent.  If you respect/disrespect me based on my clothing then your opinion is of no value to me.  And I won't have to worry about how you treat me as I will not be around you.

And for the record, this is coming from someone who wears slacks on the course.  But I play with plenty of people who don't and have a great time doing so.

This again.

Maybe I'm the sore thumb of the group, but I believe regardless of dress code, there shouldn't be jeans on a golf course.  If you go to the beach, are you going to wear dress pants and a suit jacket while you swim?  No.  If you go to a wedding are you going to wear shorts and a t-shirt?  No.  So why would you bring jeans to a golf course...  I'm not saying it's illegal or anything, but I just think it shows bad taste.  I'm pretty sure every man owns at least one pair of non-jean shorts and some type of slacks, so why are those hard to put on?  All in all - do what you want, but expect odd looks and less respect when you show up to a country club wearing jeans.  At a country club I worked at in college, we wouldn't allow dining guests to wear jeans...much less on the actual golf course.  Respect the sport.

At most country clubs you won't just get odd looks and less respect, you will be asked to change or leave. That is their prerogative.

We don't allow jeans anywhere, but it is pretty much igmored in the winter months by some in the men's grill. Usuallly on Sundays with people watching football games. But I peronally would never do it because it's the rules.

Some people are goofy. Once, while I was golf chairman, a guy was wearing jeans in the men's grill in January. It was a unseasonably wam day and they opened the range with the mats. He asked me if I thought it was OK for him to go to the range with the jeans. I just told him that, if he had to ask me that question, he flunked the test.

Bill M

OK - I'll say it. IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE PEOPLE

First, we allowed people to wear suits and hats and tweed - instead of kilts and tam-o-shanterns?  what's wrong with society?

Next, we allowed them to ditch the suit jackets and wear knickers and collared shirts?

Now, on some courses, they can even wears shorts and collared shirts.......as long as they are shiny

Even,, some places you can wear cargo shorts and collared shirts....

Frankly, some "low end" and "low class" places allow blue jeans, t-shirts, even....

it's a freakin tragedy -

next thing you know they'll allow the **inks, **ics and ***rkies to actually play golf....only on Tuesdays maybe, and out of site of the clubhouse (of course), but you know it's going to happen

....or even let women actually play the game - it's crazy

what has the world come to?  where's the respect?

Criminy - soon, just about ANYONE can start to enjoy this game......We CAN'T let that happen!

(crap - it's bad enough that they let those "caddies" swim in the club pool one afternoon a year.  I takes a week to wash the stink out of it)

(tongue in cheek, outrage is over, yes this is a very heavy extension that doesn't apply to most)

Bill - 

And that's a snotty response to someone that was trying to be respectful enough to at least ask the question.

How would it have hurt to just answer kindly and directly "It's not our policy, you need to change your clothes to fit our local rules.  We even have clothes for sale in the pro shop."

Great personal example -

Last year, it was wet and cold and I played at a super nice local private course.  I forgot to pack my spare shorts and pants in the car (I normally have a bag with shorts and pants just in case for golf) and showed up in jeans.  My member friend noted he forgot to inform me of the dress code and offered to loan me his spare  "honestly, we're not stuck up or anything, but we do have this policy".  Luckily, I had slacks (for climbing) in the car that were just fine.  It was no big deal and I would have bought rain pants or something to respect the rules if I didn't have the spares in the car.  But he was super nice about it.  Short answer - he's a great guy and super nice and his regard showed through.  But, if he had said something snotty about such a pissy and subjective and cosmetic thing, instead, it would have been a crappy day for both of us.  Most people are usually very decent about it because, in the end, it's a face to face interaction, not some vague internet things where people default to stupid weak quotes like "respect the game", "how does it look".

Now, I always check the website for dress code at any course I haven't played before.  If it's not clear, I'll call ahead now too.

Bill - 

A golf course is a golf course is a golf course. Well no it isn't. There are country clubs, high end golf courses that are close to a private course, there are plenty of courses that have dress codes and there are muni courses that more than likely have no dress code. Then there are the little nine holes in small areas usually out in the boondocks that have the average joe who busts his butt just to make a living supporting his family. These courses are not going to have dress codes they are not going to be courses that expect people to dress fancy or even to wear slacks. In fact wearing slacks would be considered pretentious in these places. So don't try to make it sound like the right thing by stating something so far fetched. You obviously have not been out and about all that much if you think all golf courses and their environments are the same.

It could be worse.....http://www.newelliowa.com/newsite/index.php?page=gcou

Newell IA Public Golf Course - Rule Number 12 from the website.

"Men are required to wear shirts in and around the immediate clubhouse area."

Apparently there is not a similar requirement for women.

If you have ever been to Newell and saw the women, you'd ask for a similar rule..... :-P

Bill - 

All in all - do what you want, but expect odd looks and less respect when you show up to a country club wearing jeans.  At a country club I worked at in college, we wouldn't allow dining guests to wear jeans...much less on the actual golf course.  Respect the sport.

I agree it would be silly to show up to play a private club in jeans but the discussion isn't just about private clubs.  All courses aren't equal, they have different rules, different cultures.

It could also be possible that EVERY golfer I have ever seen wearing jeans has zero respect for the course, NO golf etiquette, and couldn't hit a golf ball into the ocean from the shore if they were aiming at it has something to do with my "jean opinion".

Well I've seen some guys that dress like tour players that can't break 120.  Now that's really not respecting the game ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!