IGNORED

Sned's pop stroke

Note: This thread is 3820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Holy shit, a tip from from golf magazine that's actually improved my game! Tried this today on a whim, and it was the best I've ever putted. Much better distance control, 3 one-puts from 10"+, and only one 3 putt. Basically a slight take back with the arms and very wrist stroke that ends right after impact. Anyone else try it? Thoughts?

Holy shit, a tip from from golf magazine that's actually improved my game! Tried this today on a whim, and it was the best I've ever putted. Much better distance control, 3 one-puts from 10"+, and only one 3 putt. Basically a slight take back with the arms and very wrist stroke that ends right after impact.

Anyone else try it? Thoughts?

I have tried it and I hit everything too hard.  I prefer the Utley esque method I learned from @iacas .  I have never putted any better than with that method.  Awesome that it words for you though!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Erik doesn't mind you float loading like Sneds (if that's what Sneds is doing). I don't pop it like Sneds, but I am trying to do more float loading, and the consistency with distance continues to surprise me in a good way.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Snedeker is a shorter faster stroke very much like what I teach many players - just a bit shorter and faster than most. A "baby" float load and a backswing that matches the follow through to promote a putter head that is at peak speed or slightly decelerating at impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When I tried it, I should mention that I was accelerating trough the ball at that time, and thus why I was hitting it too hard.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Snedeker is a shorter faster stroke very much like what I teach many players - just a bit shorter and faster than most.

A "baby" float load and a backswing that matches the follow through to promote a putter head that is at peak speed or slightly decelerating at impact.

Does your method have more wrist hinge then the (what seems like) the prevailing method, i.e., wrists stay completely set and the putter is controlled by swinging the arms/shoulders as a single unit?  I've always, ALWAYS struggled with distance control, and so far it feels like I can "feel" the distance better when the putter is powered more with the wrist hinge.

• Administrator
My putting stroke is more like the conventional, but conventional is NOT without wrist motion. It's not a lot but enough to see if you look for it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A close friend of mine has always putted that way.  He is a decent golfer (maybe 8HC).  But he struggles with consistency with that stroke.  Mine is more Utley like, with longer and smoother stroke.  My direction control is much more consistent than his.  My distance control has improved due to controlling the stroke with my left hand per Dick Stockton.

I did send videos to Evolvr and @mvmac helped me with some set up corrections, as did Erik.  I also was fitted to my putter, which really helps aim.

But I do think golfers struggle if they keep switching techniques and putters, etc.  If you like this method, work with it for a long time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I read that article yesterday evening and am intending to put some time in this afternoon trying it out.  One of my many problems is that I feel like I'm "jerky" on the take-away with the wrist locked, shoulder pivoting sort of swing.  Not a good feeling at the start of an always important stroke.  I'm on the disabled list at the moment, so putting is about all I get to practice, I figure this is a good time to give something else a try.  Snedeker is one of my tour favorites, love his general demeanor, and his putting certainly doesn't stink.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Does your method have more wrist hinge then the (what seems like) the prevailing method, i.e., wrists stay completely set and the putter is controlled by swinging the arms/shoulders as a single unit?  I've always, ALWAYS struggled with distance control, and so far it feels like I can "feel" the distance better when the putter is powered more with the wrist hinge.

I think this is why some players like a belly putter.  The butt of the club stays in place and you just make a stroke.  To me this is similar to what a lot of good putters do already.  The handle doesn't move at the same rate as the putter head, the head swings, "float load" feel.  Trying to keep the wrists "frozen" would make distance control much more difficult.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'll need to do a lot more practicing, but I think I LIKE IT! I don't feel like there's as much wrist hinge as Sneds might be advocating, and I was basically using the Utley reverse overlap grip I already had been lately. But just the feel of allowing some hinge seems really liberating. Tomorrow I'll try to feel more of the float/load Mike mentions. I'm loving just the thought of that, I hope this does for my putting what feeling that floaty loady feeling in my pitch shots has!!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!