IGNORED

How many years of practice to hit a Driver 270+ yards?

ponyboy
Note: This thread is 3733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To carry the ball 270 yards, you need a ball speed around 160 mph. That means if you miss hit the ball, lets say dropping your smash factor from 1.47 down to 1.37,

You need a club head speed of 117 mph

If your smash factor is 1.47, you need a club head speed of 109 mph.

So, poor contact requires you to increase your club head speed by nearly 8 mph.

There is something to say that body build is important. Taller people generally hit the ball farther, because they have long swing arcs, and get more leverage. If your smaller, you probably want to work on getting faster hip speed.

If you want to gain distance, improve contact, and work out. If you get to 270 or not, only time will tell. But your golf game will probably improve ;)

yup.

this is me.  im 6'4" with a fast swing speed, and TERRIBLE contact.  so i can mishit it and still get it out there pretty far.  if my smash factor and penis size were co-dependent I'd be a girl...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Allot of people don't realize that swinging 50 percent and playing the whites it's golf. I'm for everyone playing the same tees unless you get social security, or haven't been alive a decade. Women play somewhere in between. Distance is not important, but if you are swinging 50%and playing up than you are cheating yourself. They don't let the pros play up if you drive it shorter. Just trying to level the playing feild

Allot of people don't realize that swinging 50 percent and playing the whites it's golf. I'm for everyone playing the same tees unless you get social security, or haven't been alive a decade. Women play somewhere in between. Distance is not important, but if you are swinging 50%and playing up than you are cheating yourself. They don't let the pros play up if you drive it shorter.

Just trying to level the playing feild

Reality check time Nick ... with all the issues today with golf taking too long, "tee it forward", "while we're young",  etc ... could you even imagine the length of time it would take the average weekend duffer to play a round from only one tee box - assuming as you implied its farther back than the white tee's.    Forcing out of shape, 50 year olds with bad backs and shot knees like me to play the same tee's as young guys like you is a lot to ask.      Holy cow my head hurts just thinking about making high hcp'ers play rearward tee's and the waiting that would go along with that ... there's good reason there are 3 to 5 tee boxes at golf courses - to match distance to skill level and ultimately enjoyment of the game for all.

Again, maybe to you, distance is very important ... you're a single digit hcp, who presumably competes ... makes sense.     But for the vast majority of golfers who are nowhere near as good as you - control is absolutely undeniably far more important than distance, and is the key to shooting lower.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Hi,

How many months/years of practice is required to hit a Driver 270+ yards?

Some can do it right away and some will never get there.  Too many factors to give you an answer.  I'd work on improving your priority piece and go from there.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I've always been able to, as long as I hit it center. More swish, less smash.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

That should never be a goal unless you're looking to compete in a long drive competition.  I hit it anywhere from 280-310 and hit some further (just blessed with being tall and flexible), but I take zero pride in a long good drive.  Drives are just a means to give yourself the best chance to hit the green.  Now hitting a stiff iron shot or draining a 20 ft birdie putt is a different story, that get's my blood pumping.

It took me about 4 years from the time I decided I would try to improve my game to get to where I can hit it 270 total distance once in a while.   But that was casual practicing and playing a few times a month . .not like dedicated, focused effort on learning to hit driver.

I think most people could get to those distances by doing strenght training the proper way. I know alot of people from sports that require explosive power and go to gym for it, instructor goes and makes a basic ''muscle growth'' program for them with ''12 reps'' all over the place. Bye, bye fast muscle fibers.

Been having a 2-3 year break from all training basically due to work draining everything out of me, lost aprox 3kg of bodyweight during that time and I'd say 95% of that was muscle, that's alot for me as I'm skinny as hell, get mistaken of string bean constantly. Plan to start working out again and this time to improve clubhead speed, got pretty good idea what to work on but all the tips are welcome. Last number from army 3,5 years ago: bodyweight + 40kg pullup for 3 reps; oh shit why I have let myself get to this shape...

PS: If someone can go for 300 yard drives, doesn't he/she have easier time to hit 270 yard drives down the middle? Oh yeah I forgot someone who goes for lenght can't train accuracy.

A lot of fast muscle fiber is genetic, and based on the muscle you work out. You can gain some, if its useful in the golf swing is another issue.

Most people will hit it farther by gaining flexibility, and gaining muscle. Its just the fact that being stronger does allow you to swing a club faster, it might not be optimally done, but it does. If you life a weight, and it becomes easier to lift, its moving faster because your stronger.

I think most people would see tremendous gains in distance and ball striking just by doing a standard full body work out, emphasis on core work and flexibility as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In high school I'd go to the driving range every once and a while and just try to CRUSH golf balls. I remember I could get a quite a few right around the 250 yards marker. Consistency and direction was obviously a non-factor though. Now I'm finally starting to get consistent drives down. They are only going a little over 200 yards at the moment but consistency is far more important at this stage.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Hi,

How many months/years of practice is required to hit a Driver 270+ yards?

Better question: Why does it matter? Swing within yourself and learn proper technique and the distance will come, with accuracy to boot. I could hit a driver 270 the first time I got to a driving range at 16 - the wrong way. I think Corey Pavin still can't hit a ball 270+ and he won the U.S. Open.

I think most people could get to those distances by doing strenght training the proper way. I know alot of people from sports that require explosive power and go to gym for it, instructor goes and makes a basic ''muscle growth'' program for them with ''12 reps'' all over the place. Bye, bye fast muscle fibers.

Been having a 2-3 year break from all training basically due to work draining everything out of me, lost aprox 3kg of bodyweight during that time and I'd say 95% of that was muscle, that's alot for me as I'm skinny as hell, get mistaken of string bean constantly. Plan to start working out again and this time to improve clubhead speed, got pretty good idea what to work on but all the tips are welcome. Last number from army 3,5 years ago: bodyweight + 40kg pullup for 3 reps; oh shit why I have let myself get to this shape...

PS: If someone can go for 300 yard drives, doesn't he/she have easier time to hit 270 yard drives down the middle? Oh yeah I forgot someone who goes for lenght can't train accuracy.

I'm not really sure what your PS means, but I know plenty of guys that hit it that far and hit it dead straight.  Point being that good players that hit it long don't "go for length" it's just a product of their swing and or physique.  I do know some small guys that hit it long also though, one of my good buddies won the Puerto Rico Classic last week, he's under 6 foot tall and hits it a mile.

Reality check time Nick ... with all the issues today with golf taking too long, "tee it forward", "while we're young",  etc ... could you even imagine the length of time it would take the average weekend duffer to play a round from only one tee box - assuming as you implied its farther back than the white tee's.    Forcing out of shape, 50 year olds with bad backs and shot knees like me to play the same tee's as young guys like you is a lot to ask.      Holy cow my head hurts just thinking about making high hcp'ers play rearward tee's and the waiting that would go along with that ... there's good reason there are 3 to 5 tee boxes at golf courses - to match distance to skill level and ultimately enjoyment of the game for all.

Again, maybe to you, distance is very important ... you're a single digit hcp, who presumably competes ... makes sense.     But for the vast majority of golfers who are nowhere near as good as you - control is absolutely undeniably far more important than distance, and is the key to shooting lower.

if your too slow you pick up and move on. And i don't really think hdcp matters for your tees. Playing the reds isn't going to matter if you are a 36 hdcp but if you catch it it is gone. If you shank every shot it doesn't matter where you play.

With modern equipment, I can usually muster one solid drive of about 260 yards carry per round.

Most of the others carry between 210 and 230 yards. Haven't unlocked the secret of where that one "super drive" comes from.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I definitely agree, it is not a matter of years.  I will give you this example.  I have been playing since I was 24 years old and I am now 67.  In my late 20s, when I finally figured out how to get rid of the dreaded slice and hit a draw, I could hit my drives out there close to 270.  As equipment got better, I hit my driver over 270.  I could hit the occasional 290 or 300 yard drive...but it was rare.  After I turned 60, I started losing distance and I will never see 270 again.  So for me, I would say it was about 5 years.

Now, let's take a look at my son.  He has not played since he was 12 and back then his drive was about 175 yards.  He took up golf again this year (January) and in 3 months he was hitting drives out in the 290 range consistenly.  He is 17 years old.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I was talking with a golf pro one day and I asked him if he would rather teach somebody that already had some pop naturally. He said he would because that's not something that's easy to teach. Then he said "If I could teach pop I would do it myself."

You can teach it. The swing has power accumulators, so you can teach swing speed. Everyone has a limit, but you can squeeze out every bit of it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 4 weeks later...

well, i will not kid you, i recently turned 13, and im driving 300 + yards, and to be honest, last month was the first month i started, and i was already driving 270+, i have no idea how i hit it that far, but i did play baseball since i was two, and i can easily hit homeruns, and people say i have a funky swing, but when they tried my swing, they hit it far farther, but idk man, but, im just telling you, if a thirteen year old can do it, you could too! :D

Note: This thread is 3733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!