IGNORED

How many years of practice to hit a Driver 270+ yards?

ponyboy
Note: This thread is 3751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With modern equipment, I can usually muster one solid drive of about 260 yards carry per round.

Most of the others carry between 210 and 230 yards. Haven't unlocked the secret of where that one "super drive" comes from.

Can't believe I'm posting this, but Stan says to use a hammer, and then hit it with that right hand.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When my Son started golfing, he was 6'6" and 250lbs, after about 6 mos. I let him use my Ping 3 wood for his driver, par 5 570 yds or so, and he hits my 3 wood 297 yds, and yes, he took a pretty good swing at it, so I'd have to say, some of it is/was power..lol

well, i will not kid you, i recently turned 13, and im driving 300 + yards, and to be honest, last month was the first month i started, and i was already driving 270+, i have no idea how i hit it that far, but i did play baseball since i was two, and i can easily hit homeruns, and people say i have a funky swing, but when they tried my swing, they hit it far farther, but idk man, but, im just telling you, if a thirteen year old can do it, you could too! :D

You are assuming, of course, that we are not carrying years of injuries to our bodies from when we were teens :~(

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Can't believe I'm posting this, but Stan says to use a hammer, and then hit it with that right hand.

Jerry, this is a great video.

With modern equipment, I can usually muster one solid drive of about 260 yards carry per round.

Most of the others carry between 210 and 230 yards. Haven't unlocked the secret of where that one "super drive" comes from.

A carry of 220 is pretty far, you have a very respectable 95 mph swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

270 yards or more, it comes down to club head speed, Not power, club head speed and ideal launch conditions, including low spin will allow the ball to travel that far.

How long will this take? it depends who and when they start striking the ball. If you are a women the answer will likely be never, If you are an adult guy, athletic it still might be never. I will say the taller you are, with a gift for a high reactive muscles, you can do it with some practice, but as someone also pointed out- you either have it or you don't

Having traveled for years with a launch monitor for several golf companies, most men think they hit the ball further than they think, I have had men tell me repeatedly they hit the ball 260-275, I can have them warm up and make decent contact with the ball, put them on the launch monitor, with a quality ball and a majority of the time they hit it 235-240 and occasionally one close to 260. This usually after I hand them a driver 1.5 degrees higher in loft.

if I only had a dollar for every........

270 yards or more, it comes down to club head speed, Not power, club head speed and ideal launch conditions, including low spin will allow the ball to travel that far. How long will this take? it depends who and when they start striking the ball. If you are a women the answer will likely be never, If you are an adult guy, athletic it still might be never. I will say the taller you are, with a gift for a high reactive muscles, you can do it with some practice, but as someone also pointed out- you either have it or you don't Having traveled for years with a launch monitor for several golf companies, most men think they hit the ball further than they think, I have had men tell me repeatedly they hit the ball 260-275, I can have them warm up and make decent contact with the ball, put them on the launch monitor, with a quality ball and a majority of the time they hit it 235-240 and occasionally one close to 260. This usually after I hand them a driver 1.5 degrees higher in loft. if I only had a dollar for every........

235-240 is pretty far on the courses I normally play.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I am 42 years old and I truly avg. 294 off the tee box.I practice about 10 to 12 hours a week mostly on rotating the upper torsil , proper hinge of the wrist, and creating a lag. I hit a 336 yard drive in a golftec session and the representative lost his cool by hugging me. Before the question is ask I am 5'10 and 220 and athelic. But takes more than these quality to get you there.

I am 42 years old and I truly avg. 294 off the tee box.I practice about 10 to 12 hours a week mostly on rotating the upper torsil , proper hinge of the wrist, and creating a lag. I hit a 336 yard drive in a golftec session and the representative lost his cool by hugging me. Before the question is ask I am 5'10 and 220 and athelic. But takes more than these quality to get you there.

You win the internet then, congratulations!

That's extremely precise. You must carry Trackman in your bag? I average 260(total distance) with driver but as previous posters have said, I think it's more important for amateurs to get impact correct than swing out of your shoes. If you swing with good rhythm and balance at around 75-80% you won't go far wrong as long as your fundamentals are in place. I occasionally let loose with driver but it's very rare and only gains me 5-10yds anyway.

It"s kind hard to believe that 80% swing tempo equates to 112 mph clubhead speed on the PGA. So,a solid player like Matt Kuchar who average 270ish off the tee leaves 20% of his swing on the table to be ranked 100 in driving distance.Uuummm. When it come to iron play yes 80% drivers and fairway metal 100%. I like the trsckman statement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Please use this method, then come and play me for money! haha, madness.

Actually, if you read Utley's book, The Art of the Swing, he talks about unhinging and an aggressive "snapping" of the wrists to release the club with a driver.

What Stan is saying with the "hammer" is to remain on plane during the process. Of course, the lower body supplies momentum and speed to the arms, but the arms also have a role, typically coming in last to supply speed. In my swing, the momentum of the transition to the downswing brings the arms down passively, but I do try to remain on plane by aiming the butt of the club at the ball and then aggressively unhinging. I see this aggressive unhinging in Grant Waite's swing below. Look at that right elbow around impact.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

well, i will not kid you, i recently turned 13, and im driving 300 + yards, and to be honest, last month was the first month i started, and i was already driving 270+, i have no idea how i hit it that far, but i did play baseball since i was two, and i can easily hit homeruns, and people say i have a funky swing, but when they tried my swing, they hit it far farther, but idk man, but, im just telling you, if a thirteen year old can do it, you could too! :D

Wow, I'd be honored if you'd post a video of your genius amazing swing. I'm sure if I tried it, I'd hit it 380 yards on the internet. Maybe I should take steroids; it's the closest thing to going through puberty again so it would be almost like being 13.

I am skeptical of your distance claims. There are threads like this all the time and they never get proven correct. I have serious advice for you though; join the golf team now if you like to play because it will never be as cheap again to get coaching, practice facilities, and rounds. I waited until college before playing and I do have elite distance but I'll never be more than a local amateur champ because I can't afford to practice much and have to work a lot to make money to play. My college doesn't even have a golf team, and if it did I'd be too far behind scoring wise to compete with people with 10+ years of tournament experience even though I can outhit almost everybody.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Please use this method, then come and play me for money! haha, madness.

Upon first glance it looks really silly, but I actually tried it. It makes sense. Not sure how I can align my body perfectly to implement it yet.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It"s kind hard to believe that 80% swing tempo equates to 112 mph clubhead speed on the PGA. So,a solid player like Matt Kuchar who average 270ish off the tee leaves 20% of his swing on the table to be ranked 100 in driving distance.Uuummm. When it come to iron play yes 80% drivers and fairway metal 100%. I like the trsckman statement

I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems right that the pros are putting 80% or less effort on all swings. I am putting what feels like 50% effort, and getting respectable distances. In the past, I put in what felt like 95% and drove the ball 20% shorter than now. My short irons are roughly the same distances as before, but I feel like I'm putting in 40% effort. Before, I would hit my mid and long irons with some difficulty. Now, I can hit them reliably. The tour pros are really efficient. I'm sure they could put some heat on their shots, but my guess is the 80% maximum effort is their normal shot.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This is a hell of a lot to think about in a fraction of a second! I'd say that consciously doing anything at that point in the swing is virtually impossible because of the time frames involved. I love to play people who are trying to manipulate the clubhead at the bottom. Get your cash out!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Actually, if you read Utley's book, The Art of the Swing, he talks about unhinging and an aggressive "snapping" of the wrists to release the club with a driver.

What Stan is saying with the "hammer" is to remain on plane during the process. Of course, the lower body supplies momentum and speed to the arms, but the arms also have a role, typically coming in last to supply speed. In my swing, the momentum of the transition to the downswing brings the arms down passively, but I do try to remain on plane by aiming the butt of the club at the ball and then aggressively unhinging. I see this aggressive unhinging in Grant Waite's swing below. Look at that right elbow around impact.

This is a hell of a lot to think about in a fraction of a second! I'd say that consciously doing anything at that point in the swing is virtually impossible because of the time frames involved. I love to play people who are trying to manipulate the clubhead at the bottom. Get your cash out!!!!!!

It's not a manipulation at all -- it's part of developing the swing. Like anything else, you need to make it an integral part of your swing and it takes time -- does Grant Waite look as if he is manipulating anything?

Get your wallet out...

It's not a manipulation at all -- it's part of developing the swing. Like anything else, you need to make it an integral part of your swing and it takes time -- does Grant Waite look as if he is manipulating anything? Get your wallet out...

No you're right, he has a lovely swing but gravity is unhinging his wrists he doesn't have to think about it and neither do you.

Note: This thread is 3751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!