IGNORED

Political Correctness - How Far Should it Go? Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the owners of the Redskins, Blackhawks, Indians be forced to change their teams name?

• Yes, it's insensitive to American Indians
    • No, it's a non-issue
    • Who cares, this is a golf forum

It's like calling African Americans black. Yet that stayed on. And about the above quote on non derogatory names, my highschool is the warriors and we run around in feathered chief hats.

Also, today while taking the past I noticed when you bubble in your race it has all the technical names and then for white it says white. Seems like reverse racism. I've always seen it as cacasian and African American or I've seen it as black and white. Seems weird

Actually i know a lot of people who say they rather be called black than African American. They take the point that they are American's, not African American's. So depends on the point of view.

Here's how I would take it. If the fans want it changed, change it. If the polls of the fans say they feel like its time to change, then do. If not, then you either suffer the PR backlash, or cave to outside influence.

Man, Disney would get hammered so bad today, it is crazy how far PC has come.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone remember this?

Times change, yes, but sometimes political correctness goes too far.

I don't care enough to know how I feel about the Redskins. A part of me thinks it feels too much like people looking for a reason to be offended. And another part of me says "just change it" because I can't think of a good reason to dig your heels in on this fight. It's not like there's a moral high ground on which to stand here, or a principle.

Oh, that is a fantastic movie.  Love watching 12 year olds curse and drink beer, lol.

But, yeah, I agree with you on this.  Doesn't bother ME one bit right now.  so let's leave it.  But if it bothers others, is it really that big of a deal to change the name?  No, of course not.

Oh, that is a fantastic movie.  Love watching 12 year olds curse and drink beer, lol.

But, yeah, I agree with you on this.  Doesn't bother ME one bit right now.  so let's leave it.  But if it bothers others, is it really that big of a deal to change the name?  No, of course not.

I would disagree, it's a pretty big deal.  All the marketing for the team is centered around the name "Redskins".  Can it be done, sure, at a huge expense to the team and possibly the NFL but what about all the fans that shelled out their hard earned money for a jersey and other Redskin gear.

What if a group of old gold miners and their families decided that the 49'ers name was exploitative of all the people who lost their lives in mining accidents.  I know it's a far reach, but the point is today special interest groups get large public forums to complain about what they are offended over.  I get that we should be sensitive to other peoples feelings but people overall need a thicker skin.

Joe Paradiso

I voted yes, not because of political correctness.  It is just a dumb team name.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

The obvious problem with putting it to a vote is that very few "redskins" are fans of the "Redskins" so their vote would be in the minority.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just change the name and move on. Remember the Houston Colt 45's/Astros, the Washington Bullets/Wizards, and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays/Rays? I do think we have gone a bit overboard with the PC lately but the term Redskin is flat out F_____g Offensive. If it offends Native Americans then change it, case closed.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I was recently listening to an interview on ESPN concerning this. One of the things mentioned is that there are some schools on Indian reservations that use the name/logo of the Redskins. Also the person researching the issue had interviewed many Native Americans and very few had a problem with the name and logo. This issue, like many others of a PC nature, is blown out of proportion by small groups.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I see where you're going with this but in today's society all it takes is one person to be offended. I read a story awhile back about I beleive was an elementary school that had a yearly Father/Daughter dance. The little girls and the dads got dressed up and Im sure had a ball. The school had been doing it for years until one mom complained that she had no contact with her daughters dad and the school was forced to stop the event all together. The mom claimed the kid felt "left out and sad" becasue she couldnt attend the event with her dad. The NFL is about dollars and they are gonna bury this issue before it starts to cost them money.

I would disagree, it's a pretty big deal.  All the marketing for the team is centered around the name "Redskins".  Can it be done, sure, at a huge expense to the team and possibly the NFL ...

Nonsense.  Of the top of my head just recently ... Washington Bullets/Wizards, Tennessee Oilers/Titans, New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans, Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets (next year), Tampa Bay Devil Rays/Rays, and several others that are slightly less drastic, but changes nonetheless, for example, Florida/Miami Marlins, Anaheim/LA of Anaheim Angels, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim/Anaheim Ducks, Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, and there are probably others I'm forgetting.  And don't even ask me to list all of the teams that have changed their uniforms and colors over the years.  If you are talking about this from a marketing standpoint, then you're talking about trademarks, and letterhead, and basically everything ... so the expenses are going to be there even for those teams with the seemingly slighter changes.

If it was such a big deal, and so expensive, would they be making these changes so often?

... what about all the fans that shelled out their hard earned money for a jersey and other Redskin gear.

So, what about them?  I currently own 3 San Diego Chargers jerseys, one Anahiem Ducks jersey, a Lakers jersey and a Fresno State football jersey.  All purchased within the last decade.  Guess how many of them match the jerseys currently worn by those teams?  Basically, only the Lakers jersey.  Further, the names on the back of 2 of my Chargers jerseys are "Tomlinson" and "Jammer."  What about me?  Oh yeah, nothing, because we all know when we buy those things that they are likely going to be outdated shortly, and oftentimes when they do become outdated, they become even more valuable, or "cool."  Brown and Yellow Padres jerseys, for example.

Nothing is going to happen to the Redskins fans because nobody is going to ban them from wearing their gear to games if the team name is changed.  In fact, it will be more like a badge of honor.  You see a guy at a Ducks game with a Disney cartoon duck on his shirt, you laugh because its a ridiculous logo, but you also know that guy has been a fan for a long time.

So, no, Redskin gear is not going to become "worthless" if they change the name ... but quite the opposite.

What if a group of old gold miners and their families decided that the 49'ers name was exploitative of all the people who lost their lives in mining accidents.  I know it's a far reach, but the point is today special interest groups get large public forums to complain about what they are offended over.  I get that we should be sensitive to other peoples feelings but people overall need a thicker skin.

Sorry, but I'm going to roll my eyes now.  I cannot stand "slippery slope" arguments because they are ridiculous and weak.

"We can't ban Redskins because then a whole bunch of United 747's are going to now insist that the name 'Jets' offends them."

"Oh, we're banning peanuts from schools now because one kid might die?  Please!  What's next?  Broccoli?  Water?"

"Can't let gay people get married because that OBVIOUSLY means that we HAVE to let people marry sheep now because that is clearly the same thing."

Come on ... you're better than that.

Just change the name and move on. Remember the Houston Colt 45's/Astros, the Washington Bullets/Wizards, and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays/Rays? I do think we have gone a bit overboard with the PC lately but the term Redskin is flat out F_____g Offensive. If it offends Native Americans then change it, case closed.

I was recently listening to an interview on ESPN concerning this. One of the things mentioned is that there are some schools on Indian reservations that use the name/logo of the Redskins. Also the person researching the issue had interviewed many Native Americans and very few had a problem with the name and logo. This issue, like many others of a PC nature, is blown out of proportion by small groups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I see where you're going with this but in today's society all it takes is one person to be offended. I read a story awhile back about I beleive was an elementary school that had a yearly Father/Daughter dance. The little girls and the dads got dressed up and Im sure had a ball. The school had been doing it for years until one mom complained that she had no contact with her daughters dad and the school was forced to stop the event all together. The mom claimed the kid felt "left out and sad" becasue she couldnt attend the event with her dad. The NFL is about dollars and they are gonna bury this issue before it starts to cost them money.

So, Ron, are you for PC run amok, or agin' it? Pretty subjective matter to consider, eh? If everything that offended someone was banned, there would be nothing left!

Quote:

I hope you don't agree that the father daughter dance at that school should have been cancelled. You may as well cancel any grandparents' day or other special relative day at any school in case someone doesn't have that specific relative to take part in it. Anyone can be offended or hurt by just about anything, that doesn't mean the response should be to eliminate it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

The point is, it doesn't.  There's a very small, vocal minority.  Unfortunately, too many weak people spend their entire lives trying to please every kook out there, ultimately pleasing no one.

People need to get over it and worry about important things........

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My bad, I didnt state my position on this, I think it sucks they cancelled the father daughter dance. I was just trying to point out that sometimes the "hurt feelings of one person is all it takes these days. I'd like to think that Im not one for the over PC'ing of everything but I was pretty vocal on these boards after the Sergio/Tiger fried chicken thing. I was anti Sergio before and I am even more so now. I also thought Taylormade should've done more than they did. As a result, I will never purchase anything TMAG again. Some people may think that is a bit extreme, but oh well. I have that right to those feelings for that and anything "I consider offensive", not what the masses consider offensive. Redskin is a disparaging term for a Native American and as a black man I would be a hypocrite if I thought ANY disparaging racial term was ok.................Whats next, The Nashville N-Words? I know thats a bit extreme, Im just sayin.

Quote:

I hope you don't agree that the father daughter dance at that school should have been canceled. You may as well cancel any grandparents' day or other special relative day at any school in case someone doesn't have that specific relative to take part in it. Anyone can be offended or hurt by just about anything, that doesn't mean the response should be to eliminate it.

My bad, I didnt state my position on this, I think it sucks they cancelled the father daughter dance. I was just trying to point out that sometimes the "hurt feelings of one person is all it takes these days. I'd like to think that Im not one for the over PC'ing of everything but I was pretty vocal on these boards after the Sergio/Tiger fried chicken thing. I was anti Sergio before and I am even more so now. I also thought Taylormade should've done more than they did. As a result, I will never purchase anything TMAG again. Some people may think that is a bit extreme, but oh well. I have that right to those feelings for that and anything "I consider offensive", not what the masses consider offensive. Redskin is a disparaging term for a Native American and as a black man I would be a hypocrite if I thought ANY disparaging racial term was ok.................Whats next, The Nashville N-Words? I know thats a bit extreme, Im just sayin.

Again, interesting, you refer to yourself as "a black man" when other people consider that a disparaging as well. It's always going to be a personal thing, what's offensive and what isn't, you'll not get any argument from me there.

One of the things I really dislike about examples like you gave is that it basically gives kids/people the concept that "If I can't be part of it then it shouldn't happen." but that's not really germane to the topic at hand.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Again, interesting, you refer to yourself as "a black man" when other people consider that a disparaging as well.

I would just call him Ron, or maybe Chicken Thighs. :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yes lets go all Fuzzy Zeoller on him

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

you refer to yourself as "a black man" when other people consider that a disparaging as well. --HA! Damn good point.

Note: This thread is 3598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!