Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

Full swing changes over the long term - how do you adjust your short game?

3 posts in this topic

When I make full swing changes, I still apply what my instructor tells me, although to a lesser degree perhaps, to the short game. I'm curious, what do others do? What exceptions are there if any? Do you back off from practicing the short game until the full swing changes have settled in?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I make full swing changes, I still apply what my instructor tells me, although to a lesser degree perhaps, to the short game. I'm curious, what do others do? What exceptions are there if any? Do you back off from practicing the short game until the full swing changes have settled in?

Keep to these ratios and you'll be fine http://thesandtrap.com/t/58816/65-25-10-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This question got me thinking and, for me, what I define as my "short game" has become pretty well separate from what I would call my "full swing game."  My short game (roughly inside 50 yards or so) is largely based on the pitching style advocated by Eric here http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video , which isn't much different from my interpretation of Stan Utley's short game recommendations.  For this swing, there really isn't a weight shift, so I just don't think about it being much related to my "full swing" at all.

I put in more time pitching and putting than I do on the full swing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Considering I was 4 years old. 200?  Is that legal?
    • Is that one of your pics?  If it is...outstanding sir!  Love the way the grass and dirt from the divot exploded around him.  Very cool.
    • Yep. The picture you posted of the top of the grips to show the difference in length caught my eye...the blue grip on the Mizzy looks like it might not be on all the way or something like that. Are all the Mizuno irons that much longer than all the Hogan irons, or is each club a little different?  Or do you just have the 5 irons for the Radials and not the whole set?  You could also measure them like this to find out: Should be 37 3/4". I'm curious on which one is not the stock length.
    • 24/2/17 - more mirror work with P2 and P3 the focus. This is definitely starting to feel more natural. Well done for taking the plunge and posting videos. Lots of good things in the swing and I'm sure when you post the my swing thread, someone will give you the right tips to move forward. Well worth doing though; I've gained a lot from mine. Keep it up!
    • I watched this video...watched the whole thing. I'm familiar with Mark's videos and I think he generally does a really good job. I see the result of his test, and it was interesting.  I happen to have extensive first-hand experience with launch data and have literally tested thousands of players over the course of 18 years, 10 of those when I was with a major golf ball manufacturer, and although I like Mark, I don't know another way to say this other than just about everything he said is wrong. Think about it logically...how can a low compression, 2-piece, Surlyn covered ball perform virtually the same as a high compression, 3 or 4-piece, urethane covered ball with different dimple patterns?  They claim the difference is in the feel and performance with wedges?  That would mean if my spin rate was too high with my driver, moving to a different model ball will have no effect in reducing it.  This is flat-out incorrect. The fact is distance balls do go further than high spin "tour" balls for most players, and playing a lower spinning ball will help reduce your hook or slice.  I'm not just spouting off something I read somewhere or giving you my opinion...I have worked with players of all abilities, watched them hit several shots with a certain ball, analyzed their launch numbers for areas that need improving and asked them to hit a different ball and compared the data.  There is a difference.  For some players it might be more dramatic than others, but it's nonsense to think all balls are within a few yards of each other or all balls curve the same amount.  Here is an example: For this player, there is 15 yards difference between these two models, and the longer ball curves less too (although it's not a lot).  And these two models are closer in design than the Pro V1 and DT Solo.  I'm not sure why the results in the video example didn't show any difference, but working with 20-25 players per day, 5 days a week for many years I have seen the difference with my own eyes.  Will everyone gain 20-25 yards or reduce their slice by 35%?  No...but I've seen it happen.  Average is closer to 9 yards and 30%.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. alienator
      alienator
      (43 years old)
    2. b101
      b101
      (29 years old)
    3. hawkcrew2000
      hawkcrew2000
      (37 years old)