IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

• Administrator

Got some range time in today because I wanted to see what kind of shape my swing was in before I head on vacation. Looks decent actually; can't tell it's been a while since I practiced. Miss is still left. Big sweeping overdraws. Everything pushes though, so that's a positive. Hit a straight push every once in a while, too. Driver was ok, I guess. In my simulated holes, it didn't get me in any serious trouble, but I'm not hitting it with any consistency of direction or distance. I'm not sure I'm really going to want to use it to be perfectly honest.

Define "big sweeping overdraws" in terms of yardages (distance, starts right, finishes left) if you could please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Define "big sweeping overdraws" in terms of yardages (distance, starts right, finishes left) if you could please.

I can hit a ball 10-15 yards right of a target (at the point when it begins to turn) and watch it finish 15-20 yards left of it. These are all obviously estimates; no guarantee that they're all that accurate. It's not a low duck hook type of shot. I was thinking path too far right? I was going to put the ball more forward in my stance but didn't want to play around with it too much.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I can hit a ball 10-15 yards right of a target (at the point when it begins to turn) and watch it finish 15-20 yards left of it. These are all obviously estimates; no guarantee that they're all that accurate. It's not a low duck hook type of shot.

I was thinking path too far right? I was going to put the ball more forward in my stance but didn't want to play around with it too much.

Yes, that's too much curve.

Do you have no chance to get a high-speed video in the next few bits of time?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, that's too much curve. Do you have no chance to get a high-speed video in the next few bits of time?

My mother has an iPhone 6. I may be able to borrow it while we're down in FL (she's coming with us). That will be Sunday or Monday, at the earliest, and I'd still have to figure out the logistics of filming with it. It's raining today and I'm busy doing last minute things anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

My mother has an iPhone 6. I may be able to borrow it while we're down in FL (she's coming with us). That will be Sunday or Monday, at the earliest, and I'd still have to figure out the logistics of filming with it. It's raining today and I'm busy doing last minute things anyway.

Sunday or Monday is pretty soon. :) I meant in the next month or two… :D

Sunday or Monday is pretty soon. :) I meant in the next month or two… :D

Then the answer is yes :-) I ordered a GripTight Gorillapod overnight shipped, should be here before we head out on the road so that issue is covered. Mom gave me the ok to borrow her phone whenever, so I got my highspeed camera :-D Expect to see a lot more high speed video of my swing in the future.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Not sure how I've never posted on your thread before Bill, but I apparently have not. :doh:

I must say that you have a lovely swing ... like so good that your index amazes me.  I think that Erik's simulation game might really help though.  That sounds like a good plan.

(I think you also need a new hat. :-P )

A2. This really highlights the difference the new feel has on my arms:

I agree with @Golfingdad , you have officially taken the title from me of "swing looks much better than score"........ Oh yeah... I also agree about the need for a new hat.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Not sure how I've never posted on your thread before Bill, but I apparently have not.

I must say that you have a lovely swing ... like so good that your index amazes me.  I think that Erik's simulation game might really help though.  That sounds like a good plan.

(I think you also need a new hat. )

I agree with @Golfingdad, you have officially taken the title from me of "swing looks much better than score"........

Oh yeah... I also agree about the need for a new hat.

He spent months getting that hat. It's a "Hogan style" hat.

Looks very, . . .uh, . . .classic. :beer:

BTW, I distinctly heard him muttering something about "sandbagging" during our last outing. . . :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not sure how I've never posted on your thread before Bill, but I apparently have not.

Thanks. I'm gonna focus on hitting balls to targets and trying to play more. I really feel like I'm just going to get out there one day and all of a sudden start shooting in the mid 80's.

(I think you also need a new hat. )

I agree with @Golfingdad, you have officially taken the title from me of "swing looks much better than score"........

Oh yeah... I also agree about the need for a new hat.

He spent months getting that hat. It's a "Hogan style" hat.

Looks very, . . .uh, . . .classic.

What's with all this hat hate? :-P

Bill

My Swing Thread

@billchao ,

Your miss shot shape is similar to mine.  Where do you aim the clubface at set up?  When I am overdrawing, I open the face up a bit and keep the same swing thoughts. It helps a lot.  I had to let go of the fear that the open face would cause a push fade.  I still have that draw miss, but know how to correct on course.  It also may have to do with my grip.  Stephan had me make my grip more neutral.  I still have to work on that a lot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@billchao , Your miss shot shape is similar to mine.  Where do you aim the clubface at set up?  When I am overdrawing, I open the face up a bit and keep the same swing thoughts. It helps a lot.  I had to let go of the fear that the open face would cause a push fade.  I still have that draw miss, but know how to correct on course.  It also may have to do with my grip.  Stephan had me make my grip more neutral.  I still have to work on that a lot.

Open slightly to the target. I experimented a bit with it and discovered that I can and will hit a big push/push-fade if I open it too much. Maybe it is a grip issue. I'll have to make sure I'm gripping it the way @iacas showed me. I think it's a path issue because I'm hitting pushes with too much curve, but I'm beyond my knowledge of the golf swing at this point. I didn't think to check my clubface contact, but I believe I still have a tendency to miss towards the heel. Open face + heel contact + aim for a draw = disaster :-P

Bill

My Swing Thread

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/150257

Played today in the afternoon. It rained all day and was somewhere between drizzling and showering while I was on the course. Didn't hit it as well as I did yesterday. I felt I got lucky on a couple of tee shots: they looked like they were going to be lost, but somehow were still in play. Two big holes did me in, though.

Short game wasn't as good as yesterday, but I was sinking putts today, so the score ended up about the same. Funny game.

I mentioned it in the comments of yesterday's round, but these greens are really tiny. I don't expect the GIR numbers to go up anytime soon.

I wanted to highlight #8 from both rounds:

Yesterday:

Today:

I hit identical mis-hits on the tee shot and approach on two separate days on the same hole, with different clubs for each shot. Funny game.

I wanted to expand on this a little. The tees were set up the same, so I was approached some holes differently today than I did yesterday. Results were eerily similar. Practically identical at times.

1. Yesterday: 3w into trees on right. Today: 2h into trees on right. Made a short putt that I missed yesterday.
  2. Yesterday: GW short of green. Today: 9i long of green. Going to hit PW tomorrow :smartass: . Will probably miss it left :-X .
  3. Yesterday: 3w into trees right. 7i punch clipped some branches and cost me distance. Today: Driver into same group of trees. 5i punch got nGIR and made par.
  4. Yesterday: Toed driver, big push-draw that split the fairway. Today: Straight fade off the center of the clubface, spun too much (need a better fitting driver) and ended up in almost the same spot. Let's not talk about the rest of the hole now.
  5. Yesterday: Didn't really know how the hole was laid out, so just aimed down the center of the fairway that I could see. Today: Tried to cut the dogleg a bit. Took an aggressive line and drew the ball, expecting a fade. Lucky the ball stayed in play.
  6. Yesterday: Wasn't sure where the creek was. Didn't matter as I hooked my 2h hard into a tree on the left. Today: Pushed 3w into oblivion.
  7. Yesterday: Hit a good drive and thinned the approach going for GUR. Today: Hit a bad drive straight into a bush, which actually turned out to be a good thing or else it would have ended up in the pond. Thinned the approach going for GIR.
  8. Yesterday: Pushed drive right, chunked partial PW into bunker. Missed 6' putt for par. Today: Pushed 2h right, chunked partial SW into bunker. I actually laughed out loud when this happened. Made 12' putt for par.
  9. Yesterday: Easy GW short of the green. Today: Full SW long.

Funny game.

BTW my smartphone tripod did not arrive at the house the next day. I have to remember to complain to Amazon.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Golf on my FL vacation is officially over. Everything went pretty well and the weather was good (minus the one round in the rain). I played golf in December, that's always a win.

Results (I posted everything in the GameGolf thread):

Oak Trail (32.3/110) - The white tees are 33.7/119, but all the tees seemed up and they had red/white tee markers, so I'm going to use the red tee ratings

Magnolia (71.6/130)

Didn't hit the range once, so I didn't film my swing. I didn't get that tripod in time, anyway. Weird how I played better down here than I have been at home.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Went out today to film some high speed video. Having various issues with file conversion, losing frame rate, and movie maker auto-formatting the videos. I'll post everything as soon as I figure it all out.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
Went out today to film some high speed video. Having various issues with file conversion, losing frame rate, and movie maker auto-formatting the videos. I'll post everything as soon as I figure it all out.

With the iPhone right?

Whatever you do, just try to not lose the "native" or "raw" file. If you can copy it directly off the iPhone… that is best. I don't use Windows; on a Mac I could give you three or four easy ways to do it.

With the iPhone right? Whatever you do, just try to not lose the "native" or "raw" file. If you can copy it directly off the iPhone… that is best. I don't use Windows; on a Mac I could give you three or four easy ways to do it.

Yea I copied the raw video onto my PC. I didn't trim or edit it on the iPhone, so that's where I'm having the problems. I'll figure something out. Part of the problem is that I recorded it vertically on purpose and Windows Movie Maker doesn't like that apparently.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

With the iPhone right?

Whatever you do, just try to not lose the "native" or "raw" file. If you can copy it directly off the iPhone… that is best. I don't use Windows; on a Mac I could give you three or four easy ways to do it.

Yea I copied the raw video onto my PC. I didn't trim or edit it on the iPhone, so that's where I'm having the problems. I'll figure something out.

Part of the problem is that I recorded it vertically on purpose and Windows Movie Maker doesn't like that apparently.

You can "split" where it transitions from horizontal to vertical. Then you can "rotate" the part that is vertical to make it right. I did this at some point, the only thing is that the video is all rescaled.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano