IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

I had a thought that, since my backswing is more in front of me and less deep at the top, I'm likely swinging less right at impact. That could explain the lack of hooks at the last range session. Going with this thought, I theorized that I could bow my left wrist pretty hard/turn my knuckles down through impact fairly aggressively and not worry about the hooks. Bear in mind, bowing the left wrist hard for me is the same as keeping it neutral, since I have a tendency to cup it. I have never been able to bow it like Dustin Johnson does, not that I'd want to.

What I did was swing to 4 and stop there. One thing to note is that my left wrist is flat when I make mock swings, even though it is cupped when I make real swings. It's probably because the forces from the club aren't there to affect my hands properly. Knowing that, I tried to get my hands in a static position where the left wrist was bowed. I noticed, in order to do that, my right wrist needs to bend back more (duh). My right hand was supporting the weight of the club in a way that the hand stayed a little bit more vertical. It's not as bad as when I used to hinge the right wrist, but it was definitely not "waiter carrying a tray" feel.

I played around with it for a little bit and got the weight of the club to load on my right hand in a way that made it bend back more, naturally. The end result was to shift my right hand grip so that the grip of the club was more in the fingers, and the heel of the right hand placed on top of the muscle (oppenens pollicis?) of the left thumb rather than the MCP joint. Basically, PP#1 more right hand to heel to left hand muscle as opposed to heel to bone.

I practiced my grip change for a few days. I'm always amazed at how quickly making a static change can be, as long as I do it often enough. Stuff like this I basically do while watching TV; it's a great way to add in a few extra hours of practice when I wouldn't be doing anything else, anyway. It already feels weird to grip the club the way I used to.

I stopped at a golf store today just because I was in the area and spent about 15 minutes on their simulator hitting shots. I hit very good shots right around the center line and a little left. Only one weak push-cut, which is a dramatic change from the last time I went (maybe a week ago?) where I was consistently hitting the same weak push-cut, shot after shot. I was absolutely striping the ball today on the simulator, and I was hitting a Mizuno MP4. I had to leave before I spent way too much money on a set of clubs I didn't need :smartass:

Wow, this ended up being a pretty long post. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this season to start. I'll try to get some video up when I can.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I had a thought that, since my backswing is more in front of me and less deep at the top, I'm likely swinging less right at impact. That could explain the lack of hooks at the last range session. Going with this thought, I theorized that I could bow my left wrist pretty hard/turn my knuckles down through impact fairly aggressively and not worry about the hooks. Bear in mind, bowing the left wrist hard for me is the same as keeping it neutral, since I have a tendency to cup it. I have never been able to bow it like Dustin Johnson does, not that I'd want to.

That makes sense.

Wow, this ended up being a pretty long post. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this season to start. I'll try to get some video up when I can.

Good. I read the rest too… makes sense. Where's the video? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good. I read the rest too… makes sense.

Thanks, good to know I'm on the right track. I've been hoping that there was a way I could do the left hand "turning knuckles down" feel at 100% and not have to worry about hitting hooks, because I'm not very good at doing it smaller, controlled amounts. I'd rather play golf the rest of my life with that cupped wrist, open face push-cut and lose yardage on all my clubs than hit duck hooks while trying to worry about how much I'm manipulating the clubface. I'm glad it doesn't have to be that way, though.

Thanks again, for the video you made for me last time. You're the one that had me fix the arm thing in my backswing. I would have never reached that conclusion on my own.

Where's the video? :)

I'm going to try and hit the range this weekend, weather permitting.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Here's the latest video (sorry there's a lot of dead space at the end, I forgot to trim):

It looks the same. The hands are a little too deep compared to my last video, so a step back on that front. Honestly, I hit the ball great. I'm not sure how much I want to keep changing if I keep hitting it well. I don't want to keep changing my pattern again, this year. Maybe it's just the mat effect. I will have to see how well I strike the ball when I get on grass and on a real golf course.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Lookin good to me....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Bill,

I think you are going to drop a LOT of shots this year off your 'cap. That is a strikers move. Are you hitting the same in your rounds (if you have gotten any in yet)?

V

Vishal S.

Lookin good to me....

I think you are going to drop a LOT of shots this year off your 'cap.

Thanks, guys.

Are you hitting the same in your rounds (if you have gotten any in yet)?

Haven't played any rounds, yet, no.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Here's the latest video (sorry there's a lot of dead space at the end, I forgot to trim):

It looks the same. The hands are a little too deep compared to my last video, so a step back on that front. Honestly, I hit the ball great. I'm not sure how much I want to keep changing if I keep hitting it well. I don't want to keep changing my pattern again, this year. Maybe it's just the mat effect. I will have to see how well I strike the ball when I get on grass and on a real golf course.

I would focus only on playing when you get back out on the course.  Manage your misses.  I get too worried about my swing at times and forget to just play.  You can work on the swing on the side.  Don't be like me an agonize over it.  Maybe it is a gene we engineers have! :-)

On the video, how did you get it to go in slow motion at 0:18?  Or are you just a really good mime?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Bill,

Silver Lakes on Sunday. Looks like they're open.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I would focus only on playing when you get back out on the course.  Manage your misses.  I get too worried about my swing at times and forget to just play.  You can work on the swing on the side.  Don't be like me an agonize over it.

That's the mindset I'm going into the season with. Whether it happens or not is a whole other story. [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/360#post_1119490"]Maybe it is a gene we engineers have! :-) [/quote]It's the analytical side, combined with the tendency to want to correct or perfect something that are great traits for engineering, but terrible for golf. And I'm not an engineer. I went to school for engineering and transfered to business. You hate me now, right? :-P [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/360#post_1119490"]On the video, how did you get it to go in slow motion at 0:18?  Or are you just a really good mime? [/quote]I use an iPhone 6 (not mine). When you record in slow-mo, you can edit where the slow motion starts and stops before you upload to youtube. That and trimming are the only edits I've figured out how to do on it. I upload straight from the phone because I had all sorts of problems with the videos when I tried to port it to my laptop. [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/360#post_1119504"]Bill, Silver Lakes on Sunday. Looks like they're open. [/quote]I'll PM you.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I would focus only on playing when you get back out on the course.  Manage your misses.  I get too worried about my swing at times and forget to just play.  You can work on the swing on the side.  Don't be like me an agonize over it.

That's the mindset I'm going into the season with. Whether it happens or not is a whole other story.

Quote:

Maybe it is a gene we engineers have!

It's the analytical side, combined with the tendency to want to correct or perfect something that are great traits for engineering, but terrible for golf.

And I'm not an engineer. I went to school for engineering and transfered to business. You hate me now, right?

Nah!  You were probably smart to move into business!!!!

Scott

My Swing Thread

LOL. Reminds me of a story: There was this guy that went to a diner I worked at when I went to school that used to talk to me all the time when I was studying STEM subjects. One day, he saw me studying from a business law textbook and he asked me what that was about. I told him I changed majors and he said something like "you're one of them now," or something and gave me the stink-eye. He didn't talk to me much after that. I guess I offended him :-D That's where I was coming from when I said you probably hate me ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

LOL. Reminds me of a story: There was this guy that went to a diner I worked at when I went to school that used to talk to me all the time when I was studying STEM subjects. One day, he saw me studying from a business law textbook and he asked me what that was about. I told him I changed majors and he said something like "you're one of them now," or something and gave me the stink-eye. He didn't talk to me much after that. I guess I offended him

That's where I was coming from when I said you probably hate me

I have close college friends that did the same.  The are still friends.  But I do win all scientific arguments!! :whistle:

Scott

My Swing Thread

That is absolutely not an 18 handicapper's swing! Very much looking forward to seeing what you produce on the course this season, keep it up :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

That is absolutely not an 18 handicapper's swing! Very much looking forward to seeing what you produce on the course this season, keep it up

Thanks. :beer:

First round of the year, I pretty much picked up where I left off last year, so that's a good sign:

First round of the calendar year: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/232739

It was cold, windy, and started to rain by the 3rd hole. I fought a two-way miss with the driver and started topping the ball on the 6th. New (to me) irons are a whole club shorter than previous irons, so I'll have to get used to that.

Made par on the 1st and 4th holes after errant drives, but the 7th is my highlight of the round:

I was totally expecting to 4-putt from there.

Some additional notes:

1. Need to sort out the driver. I need to get it to miss in just one direction. Still looks a bit too high; going to adjust to 8° next time.
  2. Need to spend more time on putting this year. 20 putts, not including several from on the fringe that don't count as putts. I am definitely losing strokes with the putter.
  3. Need to pick better landing spots for layups/trouble shots. Second shot on 2 is a good example. Started it too far left and drew it into a nasty lie next to the bunker, well below my feet. Had a lot of fairway to work with, so I should have picked a better starting line.
  4. If I'm going to keep playing with these irons, I really need to remember to club up.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by b101

That is absolutely not an 18 handicapper's swing! Very much looking forward to seeing what you produce on the course this season, keep it up

Thanks.

First round of the year, I pretty much picked up where I left off last year, so that's a good sign:

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

First round of the calendar year: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/232739

It was cold, windy, and started to rain by the 3rd hole. I fought a two-way miss with the driver and started topping the ball on the 6th. New (to me) irons are a whole club shorter than previous irons, so I'll have to get used to that.

Made par on the 1st and 4th holes after errant drives, but the 7th is my highlight of the round:

I was totally expecting to 4-putt from there.

Some additional notes:

Need to sort out the driver. I need to get it to miss in just one direction. Still looks a bit too high; going to adjust to 8° next time.

Need to spend more time on putting this year. 20 putts, not including several from on the fringe that don't count as putts. I am definitely losing strokes with the putter.

Need to pick better landing spots for layups/trouble shots. Second shot on 2 is a good example. Started it too far left and drew it into a nasty lie next to the bunker, well below my feet. Had a lot of fairway to work with, so I should have picked a better starting line.

If I'm going to keep playing with these irons, I really need to remember to club up.

You had me at "first round of the year"!

What is your normal miss?  Mine is an overdraw and I have been reluctant to set up aiming right when trouble is right.   My goal is to not do that this year.  I need to trust my swing and miss.

Scott

My Swing Thread

You had me at "first round of the year"! What is your normal miss?  Mine is an overdraw and I have been reluctant to set up aiming right when trouble is right.   My goal is to not do that this year.  I need to trust my swing and miss.

Overdraw (or even just a standard pull-draw) with the occasional push-fade, so I usually just aim for the middle and hope it works out. Had a fight with the hooks late last year that I hopefully got out of my system. I hate Key #5.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

You had me at "first round of the year"!

What is your normal miss?  Mine is an overdraw and I have been reluctant to set up aiming right when trouble is right.   My goal is to not do that this year.  I need to trust my swing and miss.

Overdraw (or even just a standard pull-draw) with the occasional push-fade, so I usually just aim for the middle and hope it works out. I hate Key #5.

I think that is our problem.  The push fade is going to happen on occasion.  It happens to the Pros all the time.  But I notice that a lot of Pros who draw the ball have their feet aiming right. Some, like Patrick Reed, aim way right.  I need to do that consistently this year to prevent going left off the fairway, even if I have to line up on an lateral hazard that is on the right.  I am going to try that for the first few rounds.  That is my shot zone.  I need to apply it.

Scott

My Swing Thread