IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

I think that is our problem.  The push fade is going to happen on occasion.  It happens to the Pros all the time.  But I notice that a lot of Pros who draw the ball have their feet aiming right. Some, like Patrick Reed, aim way right.  I need to do that consistently this year to prevent going left off the fairway, even if I have to line up on an lateral hazard that is on the right.  I am going to try that for the first few rounds.  That is my shot zone.  I need to apply it.

I was doing that more last year and I think I started to pull the ball instinctively, because my brain knew where the real target was and that I was lined up too far right, if that makes any sense. I'm pretty sure I still line up too far right to begin with, and some of my "pushes" are really just straight shots.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/270781

I said in the Game Golf rounds thread that I didn't know what to say about my golf anymore, but that's a lame cop out, so I'm going to break it down here. I included screenshots of all the holes in spoilers for anyone that doesn't want to have 18 pictures of bad golf burnt into their retinas. Was going to do a LSW SV skills breakdown type of thing to figure out what needed work, but that's kind of unnecessary since it's pretty obvious what the issue is.

#1 is a perfect representation of my typical driver miss and today happened to be more misses than good shots. It's a big push fade that starts right and tails right. I checked via Google Earth, and that landing spot is 70 yards offline from the center of the fairway. How anyone can play good golf hitting drives like this would be an absolute miracle. The poor drive forced a punch for my second shot to keep the ball under the tree and you can see that I didn't really have a line to the green at all. I could have scrambled for par with a better pitch. Was lucky to make bogey since I managed to make a 15' putt or something like that.

Hit the same bad drive on #2 and this time there was no clearing to save me. The ball hit a tree and dropped down. I hit my first punch shot fat which forced a second, then chose the wrong club on a partial wedge and airmailed the green. Again, could have saved a stroke by getting up and down, but that would have just been whipped cream on shit, as they say.

Hit the same miss on #3. As you can see by the picture, the ball was lost. Smoked the provisional and pushed the hybrid shot behind the trees. Managed to hit them twice (the first time I tried to thread the needle between trunks and the second just clipped the only low lying branch on the tree) before I hit a good flop over the bunker and still managed to miss a 6' putt.

This hole is a par 5, not that it mattered, but I emailed Game Golf about their scorecard discrepancies.

Topped this tee shot into the stream and just took S&D.; Caught it square off the toe and I was playing the Hogans, so no forgiveness granted. Lag putting needs work, too.

New miss! Topped the driver, then pushed the 3 wood into the tree I probably would have hit if I had just hit a push-fade driver to begin with. Was kind of in between clubs (if there is such a thing for my skill level) and went with the longer one, assuming I'd mis-hit it. I didn't. Luckily, the bunker kept the ball from going into oblivion and I was reminded of the fact that I suck at bunker shots.

This hole is a par 4.

If you're still reading, then I applaud you. I figure the only one who would make it this far is me, and I'm mostly writing just to get my thoughts "out there". Anyway, drive was more of a push-slice than my standard push-fade. Didn't have enough height (wasn't sure I could hit over the trees anyway, but I figured what the hell) on the SW. Scrambled for par. Textbook golf.

BTW, this hole is not a par 3, it's a par 4.

Hit first drive into oblivion, topped the re-tee. I think the blades cost me a stroke here, too. That 6 iron could have been on the green instead of well short. Oh well, I still putt like crap.

#7 is a par 5.

Push-fade, forcing a near lateral punch out. Then I chunked the PW and bladed the SW. I can hear The Cars playing in my head.

# 8 is a par 4.

I hit a green! I promptly told my playing partners that I was going home. Best struck iron of the day. Still can't putt.

This is obviously a par 3.

I thought for a brief moment that I could play golf again. Great tee shot, great approach. Stuck it to 8', made par.

I said it was a brief moment. Missed the drive off the toe and got a gear effect draw. Didn't realize that I got the yardage to the little hill behind the green and not actually the yardage to the flag and promptly hit it to the back of the green. Had an awkward downhill lie for the pitch on that I hit too far and it rolled off the front. Still suck at lag putting.

Regular miss, put it right into the greenside bunker on 13. Had a line to the green because the trees were bare. Not sure I could pull this one off later in the season. Putting.

#12 is a par 4.

Toe miss. That's the third time in the round where I really noticed a difference in the irons. Was too lazy to get the proper yardage to the flag and paid for it by being woefully short. Lost a stroke due to carelessness.

Same miss. You think I would have learned to play the miss right, and aim more left. Well, I did and got the same result. I wonder if my brain knows that I can't possibly want to hit the ball straight into the woods on the left and I instinctively push the ball right to compensate. Anyway, it lands in the stream, I take a drop, punch, fat approach. Managed to hit the SW to 4' and make the putt, though I have to admit it was more of a 1/4 SW (full swing mechanics) using the leading edge than the bounce exposing pitch technique I had problems with all day.

#14 is actually a par 5.

Fat shot followed by thin shot. With the green sloping away from me, I pitched it a hair long and it rolled down past the hole.

Par 3, obviously.

Got lucky the drive hit a tree and dropped down. Still had to punch it but I got a good result since it got on the front of the green. 3 putt for bogey since it was a par 4.

Drive in the woods, dropped since it was marked lateral hazard. I probably should have taken S&D; because it shouldn't have been a lateral, but I didn't care at that point. Topped the 7 iron into the stream, then I figured I had a shot at advancing it so I hit from the hazard. At least I got it out. Actually hit a pretty good approach shot after that.

#17 is a par 5.

I was able to successfully aim for the woods on the left and mis-hit it into the center of the fairway. Then I hit my only hook of the day right into the edge of the bunker, forcing an awkward stance where I only had one foot in the bunker. I bladed it so hard that it popped off the far lip and out. Then I sucked some more at putting.

This hole is obviously not a par 3, it's a par 4. I'm sure GG will fix it by tomorrow.

That's it. Overall, I drive like garbage, mis-hit my irons, hybrids, & woods, can't pitch well, and I putt like crap. Other than those issues, I'm a pretty good golfer. This was easily my worst round since Whispering Woods, and at least that course is hard. Today was the kind of day where if I didn't hit some good/great shots in there, I would probably just quit playing this game altogether.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I started making a conscious effort to shorten my swing while I was playing and there were a couple of really good shots where I felt like the backswing was shorter and I still hit it well and far and straight. I'm still too long and loose with my backswing on the course.

Anyway, thanks for reading, if you made it this far.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Now that I think about it, I hit mostly draws with the driver my last round. This game is enough to drive a man crazy.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Now that I think about it, I hit mostly draws with the driver my last round. This game is enough to drive a man crazy.

Hang in there.  I know how frustrating it can be, but think about how glorious it will be when you are shooting low 80's and messing around in the high 70's?

It will happen sooner than later, just take it one priority piece at a time.. BTW what is your priority piece right now?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Hang in there.  I know how frustrating it can be, but think about how glorious it will be when you are shooting low 80's and messing around in the high 70's?

It will happen sooner than later, just take it one priority piece at a time.. BTW what is your priority piece right now?

Agree completely - you are doing more good than bad, but it's a tough game. Also, what's your pre-shot routine like on the range compared to on the course? Try to get them as similar as possible.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Hey @billchao , I play like that all the time, and like you I work hard on my swing. It just takes time. I feel like my swing is WAY better than it ever has been in the past but the scores have barely moved. It can be frustrating if you let it, so just enjoy the game for what it is, a game, and keep working on the swing off the course. Baby steps, baby steps.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yea, it's frustrating. I wish I could bring myself to hitting punch shots all day on the course, but I can't. Part of me thinks that would be giving up and part of me thinks that's just a band-aid that still won't fix my full swing issues.

Priority right now is left arm more along the target line, get rid of the cupping of the left wrist, and play golf/hit golf shots on the range.

Agree completely - you are doing more good than bad, but it's a tough game. Also, what's your pre-shot routine like on the range compared to on the course? Try to get them as similar as possible.

It's more or less the same, as in I don't really have one. I pick a target, take a practice swing while facing my target to get loose, then I line up to it. I do some movements just to keep loose and fluid in my stance, but I really just hit the ball from there. Range mats mask my contact issues, which is a problem on the course.

Hey @billchao, I play like that all the time, and like you I work hard on my swing. It just takes time. I feel like my swing is WAY better than it ever has been in the past but the scores have barely moved. It can be frustrating if you let it, so just enjoy the game for what it is, a game, and keep working on the swing off the course. Baby steps, baby steps.

I know, and I usually find a lot of enjoyment on the course even if I don't play well. I think yesterday was different because I couldn't stop driving the ball into the next zip code. I think when I start taking a boat load of penalties, it gets to me.

It's just frustrating when people tell me that I have a good swing, and I shouldn't be playing as poorly as I do or I shouldn't be having the contact issues that I do, yet clearly I have all of these issues. So how good can it really be?

Thanks for the support, guys. :beer:

Bill

My Swing Thread

@billchao .

I had a poor first round last Wednesday.  For me, it was hooks.  After analyzing post round, I was definitely out of sync and probably over swinging.  The first two tee shot hooks did me in mentally.  Then I was just trying too hard.

Just put it behind you.  Think about the good shots and how they felt and why they were good.  For the bad shots, what did you do differently?  Too long a back swing?  Swaying back?  Weight not forward?  Go back to basics.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It's just frustrating when people tell me that I have a good swing, and I shouldn't be playing as poorly as I do or I shouldn't be having the contact issues that I do, yet clearly I have all of these issues. So how good can it really be?

Thanks for the support, guys.

They tell you that because it is true.  It is possible that functionally you have a good swing, but you need more time to get the timing correct?  I guess this is the part of where if you divided your golf career swings you would find that 90% of those swings were with bad mechanics and compensations and 10% (maybe even less) are with the good mechanics and less of a compensation.  So, it will take time to undo some of those compensations that you might be making which are not even needed anymore, but you are so used to doing them they creep in to your swing.. (is that making sense or have I gone off the deep end?)

The other day I realized for example, that my grip has gone back to being slightly off the heal of the bottom of my hand, and I was in shock that I let something so simple get by, and then I'm surprised when my starting line is way right?  maybe if I was gripping it right it wouldn't be?  Anyway, my point is that don't get down about your swing, because if guys like Dave and Erik are telling you that you have a pretty good swing, those guys usually tell it how it is, at least that's my experience so take their word for it, you just need more time with your swing while you keep working on the priorities you mentioned!

You will find most of us are in the same boat, our swings look better and our scores are not improving.. I think with time that will change for many of us, because I know most of us put in the time and are actively working to improve our swing!  + score of course :)  Cheers!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Just put it behind you.  Think about the good shots and how they felt and why they were good.  For the bad shots, what did you do differently?  Too long a back swing?  Swaying back?  Weight not forward?  Go back to basics.

Good advice, Scott. Thanks. I actually let things go on the course fairly easily. It's just that the bad shots kept building up and had an added effect on me. As for the bad shots, I have a tendency to swing the club too much around me. I actually address the ball on the toe of my club because I throw the sweetspot out at impact. What seemed to get me better contact was to go back to a forward press and feel like I was just lifting the club up and slamming it straight down on the ball. Once I made that adjustment, I started to miss towards the toe on my clubs because I wasn't throwing the sweetspot out anymore. It made the irons better, but not necessarily the driver. I need to get a better feel for that club. I need to stop swinging the golf club and start smashing the shit out of the ball. [quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/390#post_1131692"]You will find most of us are in the same boat, our swings look better and our scores are not improving.. I think with time that will change for many of us, because I know most of us put in the time and are actively working to improve our swing!  + score of course :)  Cheers! [/quote]I appreciate the kind words. Honestly, I'm at the point now where I realize that I put too much stock in improving my swing, as if getting a better swing will suddenly improve my scoring. Constantly looking for the next piece to work on is messing with my head. I have to work on getting better at golf and playing golf, not playing golf swing.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Constantly looking for the next piece to work on is messing with my head. I have to work on getting better at golf and playing golf, not playing golf swing.

This is why I said your practice should largely consist of hitting a driver followed by a 7-iron, followed by a pitch, and then a 3W, and then a SW, then a 4I, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is why I said your practice should largely consist of hitting a driver followed by a 7-iron, followed by a pitch, and then a 3W, and then a SW, then a 4I, etc.

I remember now. I'm a terrible student, sorry. I'll do better.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I think reviewing my round last time was a pretty good exercise, so I'm going to do it again:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/278229

Played 9 holes after work today. Was just going to go to the range, but I said screw it, there's nothing I want to accomplish there anyway, so I played instead.

First time I've been to this course. It is full of hills and it was pretty windy out. It was very interesting, aesthetically. The elevation changes made the course play harder than it's short yardage would normally be, but this is also their "Learning Center Nine" so I imagine it's not supposed to be hard anyway.

It's affordable and I enjoyed the course. Plus, even being behind a foursome all day, I was still able to finish in under two hours, so it makes a great option for after work. I'll probably be playing here more often.

With the wind blowing right at me, I wasn't sure what I wanted to use off the tee so I just went safe with the 2h. The fairway drops down into a valley, then climbs back up for the green. The elevation change is why I missed my SW so short. Hit the LW to about 5' and missed the putt.

I'm used to playing flatter courses, so I'll have to learn to make the proper adjustments. I'll probably tee off with my 3w next time.

This hole was still into the wind and straight uphill. I hit a pretty good drive that drew too much (partly due to the wind) and ended up behind a tree. Tried to hook it around and failed, the ball ended up against a tree stump and I couldn't get a clean shot at it. Should have gone with the safer play and gotten it to the center of the fairway, then tried to get up and down for par (or two-putt bogey). I had no business going for the green there and it cost me two strokes.

This hole is straight downhill. I mean a good 60 feet downhill. It's a really interesting look from the tee box. As you can see, I hit my usual push-fade driver miss and still managed to hit it 290 yards. Clipped the top of a tree on the approach and pitched on to 4'. Missed the putt. I'm great at putting.

Definitely not going to hit driver on this hole again, because I have no idea where I'd be if I hit it straight. I was thinking 3w, but that pond on the right of the green might be in play if I miss right, so I might just go 2h here.

One of the few flat holes on the course. Just mis-hit the 3w here and popped it up right. I think I did alright the rest of the way.

The green is slightly elevated here and I think I overcompensated, because I hit a good shot that just carried farther than I thought it would. Downhill lie with the SW that I caught too much of sent me through the green, chipped up to 4' and actually made a putt.

The tee box is elevated here, but I really caught all of the driver. Too bad, too, because I felt like a complete ******* once I hit the ball. There was a group on the green I didn't think I could reach. I was wrong. Luckily, I didn't hit anybody, but I really felt awful about it. I caught up with them as they were teeing off on the 7th tee to apologize. That was stupid of me.

This is an elevated green. You can see the bunkers from the tee box and the flag, but not the green at all. I didn't think the 9i was going to reach, but apparently the 8i was too long. I was hitting everything pretty well today, except for a couple of misses. Still suck at lag putting.

This hole is pretty flat. I hit the same weird pop-up like I did on #4, then I didn't really catch the PW all that cleanly. Hit a beautiful flop to 5' and missed the putt.

Went with the hybrid off the tee because I wanted to keep the bunker out of play. I still think that's the right play.

This green is downhill and the wind was at my back, but I caught all of this 8i, too. I mean I absolutely flushed it. I felt like I hit the ball fairly well all day, but this last one really drilled it home for me and it felt great. Oh and I still can't putt.

I didn't think about my swing at all. I just wanted to smash the ball. If I can articulate it properly, what I've been doing recently that's been giving me trouble feels like I was swinging around me and sweeping the ball. What I did today (and parts of Saturday) was to feel like I was trying to slam the ball into the ground. I don't know why, but it worked.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Good 1/2 round, Bill. Others have said it and I've said it before, imho, if you just keep playing, it'll just happen.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Good 1/2 round, Bill. Others have said it and I've said it before, imho, if you just keep playing, it'll just happen.

Thanks. I still have to put more time in on the putting green.

Bill

My Swing Thread

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/286495

I'm going to save myself the long winded explanation and just make some notes.

• Really need to get off the tee better. I'm putting myself in awful positions off the tee that give me very little chance at hitting greens. I think I'm going to experiment with my 2h as a driving club. Currently have it set at 19.5°, but since I can't hit greens with it anyway, I'm going to try it at 17.25° and see if it might be a better option off the tee than my driver or 3w.
  • I seem to like hitting high flop shots. I manage to get much better contact with it than trying to hit a more traditional pitch for some reason. Sometimes I slide the club too far under the ball and come up short, but short is safer than a bladed pitch.
  • I forgot I'm actually pretty good at a greenside chip with the PW.
  • I missed a bunch of 3' putts today.
  • Avoid bunkers like the plague.

I need to get a pattern down. I don't care what it is, but it's impossible to play this game with a two-way miss. The only times I hit the ball well are when I manage to pretty much start the ball straight at my target. I'm thinking right now that my best bet might be to line up open to my target and try to hit straight-pushes to it. Lining up square or even closed to my target gives me the tendency to pull down from the top and swing across my body while playing Clubface Russian Roulette.

Come to think of it, I line up open for flop shots, too, and I feel I'm more consistent with the contact that way. Wonder if that's related?

Bill

My Swing Thread

[URL=http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/286495]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/286495[/URL] I need to get a pattern down. I don't care what it is, but it's impossible to play this game with a two-way miss. The only times I hit the ball well are when I manage to pretty much start the ball straight at my target. I'm thinking right now that my best bet might be to line up open to my target and try to hit straight-pushes to it. Lining up square or even closed to my target gives me the tendency to pull down from the top and swing across my body while playing Clubface Russian Roulette. Come to think of it, I line up open for flop shots, too, and I feel I'm more consistent with the contact that way. Wonder if that's related?

It might be a confidence issue. I'm the same way. I can hit nice draws on the driving range, but during my rounds, I tend to hit fat pulls when I set up for a draw. I'm so reluctant to hit a push slice that I can't commit to getting my weight forward and delivering a nice outward swing path. Consequently, my go to shot under pressure is a fade. I feel like the open stance allows me to swing more freely aggressively at the ball. You might want to play the next few rounds with a fade as your stock shot. Hopefully it helps.

I seem to like hitting high flop shots. I manage to get much better contact with it than trying to hit a more traditional pitch for some reason. Sometimes I slide the club too far under the ball and come up short, but short is safer than a bladed pitch.

I forgot I'm actually pretty good at a greenside chip with the PW.

Just a couple of thoughts on these two:

• Longer term, I'd try to simplify your pitching action and check you aren't taking the club back on the inside. There's no way a flop shot will be more reliable for you long term and it should really only be a 'no other option' shot. Getting a good pitch action down will be a real game changer in terms of confidence though.
  • Shorter term, chip and runs are great. Also try the bump and run from further away (even say 50 yards or so) if you can with a 9 iron. Like you say, your worst chip shots are far better than your worst pitch shots if your contact on the latter is patchy.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter