IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/123546/] [/URL] Image on the left is the takeaway, image on the right is the downswing. The yellow line on the right image shows the original position of the shaft. This is at least the net effect of why you seem to be shanking the ball.

I'm not really worried about the shank, just focusing on changing the picture. Mis-hits are going to happen because I'm swinging differently than I'm used to. Once I figure out which one to work on, I'll deal with the contact.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I'm not really worried about the shank, just focusing on changing the picture. Mis-hits are going to happen because I'm swinging differently than I'm used to.

Once I figure out which one to work on, I'll deal with the contact.

Good plan.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good plan.

Any thoughts on which of those three swings feels I should focus on? I'm leaning towards 3 with more wrist bowing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Any thoughts on which of those three swings feels I should focus on? I'm leaning towards 3 with more wrist bowing.

I missed them. What were they?

I don't like anything having to do with knees flexed longer in the downswing. That's a contributor to your shank.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I missed them. What were they? I don't like anything having to do with knees flexed longer in the downswing. That's a contributor to your shank.

[URL]http://thesandtrap.com/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/420#post_1150584[/URL] I'm not actually shanking the ball, I just happened to record a shank while trying out a feel.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
http://thesandtrap.com/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/420#post_1150584

Links like that have been screwed up for awhile now if I don't have the same # of posts per page as you. Just quote it or something, please?

Spent a good amount of time today with video, trying out different feels to shallow the shaft with the shorter backswing. I'm confident about that piece, so I'm starting to explore the next step. I feel that coming down too steeply still causes me to do a lot of throwing with the hands and brings up a timing issue. Minor setup change is, I flexed my knees more than usual. Thought I was standing with my knees too straight, not feeling athletic or using the ground well. Changed this by getting into my normal address position and squatting back a bit before doing my backswing rehearsal move. [rule]First swing, I was just trying to regain a little flexion in the right knee at transition to keep from spinning out with my hips. Basically felt like I was trying to keep my knee flex from address. Downswing is led by the right elbow, as opposed to the hands pulling down or a hip bump: I like the way this looks, minus the Arnold Palmer leg thing at the end. [rule]Second swing is similar to the first swing, except I weakened the grip. Also sent the path more out to the right: Looks like the hands stay too deep too long on this one. Pretty much the effect the last time I tried to send the path more right. [rule]Last swing (sorry it is dark), tried to go steep to shallow. Backswing felt like just turn, same downswing feel as the first swing: Arm positions look pretty good, but it looks like I'm cupping the left wrist coming down and it tips the club over plane right at the end. [rule]I think I like the last swing, just need to do it with more wrist bowing.

@iacas :-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I feared that's the post you meant. I don't know. Fix your priority piece. I've lost track of what that is. Your knees are saggy and left wrist cups and they stay deep too long. All related. Figure out the best one and go from there.

I feared that's the post you meant. I don't know. Fix your priority piece. I've lost track of what that is. Your knees are saggy and left wrist cups and they stay deep too long. All related. Figure out the best one and go from there.

Got it, thanks :-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

Momentary stupidity has passed... Did this today:

Feel is left arm parallel to the target line going back, shaft pointing vertical at A3. Downswing is initiated by unfolding the right arm.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Feel is left arm parallel to the target line going back, shaft pointing vertical at A3. Downswing is initiated by unfolding the right arm.

They look good. According to @pcombs21 your swing looks a bit different when you're hitting a ball on a range or course versus into a net. Do you think you'll be able to take this to the course?

Related but not entirely: are you practicing with a variety of different clubs, switching fairly often?

They look good. According to @pcombs21 your swing looks a bit different when you're hitting a ball on a range or course versus into a net. Do you think you'll be able to take this to the course?

Thanks. Honestly, I don't know. Sitting on my computer, I'd have to say yes. The feels aren't hard and they're pretty different from what I'm used to doing, so I should know the difference right away. While I was practicing today, there were times where I would stop my backswing because I felt I didn't do it right, so some awareness is there. Of course I tend to be overconfident of my own abilities, so thinking I can do it probably doesn't actually mean I can.

The only way I'll know for sure is to get out on the range and take random samples of the swing throughout the session and see how that works. Maybe next time I get out on the course I can vlog some of it to get an idea, too. I do know I have a tendency to get the backswing too long on the course, but I think the biggest difference is that I'm thinking swing on the net and target everywhere else and I forget to do the swing properly.

Related but not entirely: are you practicing with a variety of different clubs, switching fairly often?

No. I've done nothing but lots of 7 irons and camera work just trying to find "it" again. I'll get back to doing this now that I have the feel. I know this is an important part of taking my practice session swing to the course.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Overall looking good Bill. Keep hammering those pieces.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

At the risk of repeating others, looks good. Changing the picture.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Overall looking good Bill. Keep hammering those pieces.

At the risk of repeating others, looks good. Changing the picture.

Definitely some positive progress there! Keep us posted how it goes on the course.

Thanks, guys. I just have to keep getting reps in to make it automatic. Having a net again is a big help. Hopefully I can take this swing to the course.

When was the last time I played golf? :blink:

Bill

My Swing Thread

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/387224

Interesting round. Was actually just going to use the range, but they had an opening so I decided to play. Tried to stay away from the driver and realized halfway through that it wasn't really helping at all. Honestly felt a little lost out there between the swing and not playing in a while. Wasn't entirely sure what my shot cone was going to be so I basically just aimed at the middle of everything.

Long Game: It's a tale of two swings. Put an iron in my hands and I'm confident that I'll get it on or near the green. Put a wood in my hands and I might as well be playing blindfolded. Need to get back to practicing with different clubs.

Short Game: Thought I executed pretty well. Hit it close a number of times, including out of a couple of funky lies. Discovered that I could glide the club easier by feeling the right elbow fold to my side in the backswing and the left elbow fold to my side in the downswing. For the most part, I wasn't really thinking about mechanics at all, just trying to execute a certain shot out of the lie that I was in, which speaks to how comfortable I was with the short game today.

Putting: Reads are good. Stroke is getting better. Not pulling putts anymore, but still have a tendency to push it slightly (or maybe I'm starting them straight and they look like pushes to me?). Still can't sink anything though. Had six "first putts" (not counting putts from off the green, which was two) within eight feet and I made one (the shortest one, a three-footer). Probably has to do with the old aim with the new stroke. Will need to work on that some more.

Bill

My Swing Thread

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/387224

Interesting round. Was actually just going to use the range, but they had an opening so I decided to play. Tried to stay away from the driver and realized halfway through that it wasn't really helping at all. Honestly felt a little lost out there between the swing and not playing in a while. Wasn't entirely sure what my shot cone was going to be so I basically just aimed at the middle of everything.

Long Game: It's a tale of two swings. Put an iron in my hands and I'm confident that I'll get it on or near the green. Put a wood in my hands and I might as well be playing blindfolded. Need to get back to practicing with different clubs.

Short Game: Thought I executed pretty well. Hit it close a number of times, including out of a couple of funky lies. Discovered that I could glide the club easier by feeling the right elbow fold to my side in the backswing and the left elbow fold to my side in the downswing. For the most part, I wasn't really thinking about mechanics at all, just trying to execute a certain shot out of the lie that I was in, which speaks to how comfortable I was with the short game today.

Putting: Reads are good. Stroke is getting better. Not pulling putts anymore, but still have a tendency to push it slightly (or maybe I'm starting them straight and they look like pushes to me?). Still can't sink anything though. Had six "first putts" (not counting putts from off the green, which was two) within eight feet and I made one (the shortest one, a three-footer). Probably has to do with the old aim with the new stroke. Will need to work on that some more.

I feel the exact same way at times.  My irons are predictable but I get two way misses with woods, especially driver.  Keep at it and really focus on bringing the practice work to the course.  Forget about the last shot too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave