My Swing (billchao)

billchao

• Administrator

Proud of the work you put in, and we tackled three full swing things, yeah:

• Left hip/shoulder piece.
  • Wrist hinge piece.
  • Right knee piece.

The second came relatively easily.

I sent @mvmac a before/after video (you could post that here if you wanted) and he was impressed with the work you did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good to see you again, Bill. Looks like a lot of great work on the swing...it’s awesome that you were able to get a full week to work on it! 

- John

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I sent @mvmac a before/after video (you could post that here if you wanted) and he was impressed with the work you did.

Yep it looks great!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Proud of the work you put in, and we tackled three full swing things, yeah:

• Left hip/shoulder piece.
  • Wrist hinge piece.
  • Right knee piece.

The second came relatively easily.

Thanks. And thank you for taking the time to work with me.

The really hard work is the road ahead...

16 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Good to see you again, Bill. Looks like a lot of great work on the swing...it’s awesome that you were able to get a full week to work on it! 

You, too, John. I definitely needed five full days on the swing changes, but I also got a lot of pieces at once because I don’t see my instructor regularly like normal people should 😅

16 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It was awesome to see you @billchao

Likewise, Shane. Too bad you couldn’t hang around a little longer and grab a bite to eat with us.

15 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yep it looks great!

Thanks, Mike.

Here’s the before/after video:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've been putting in some work every day since I've been back, but just like what I experienced last year, I kind of lose the feels for some things when I'm not spending what amounts to eight hours each day working on them. Still, I like what I produced in these swings even though they're not as good as the ones I made a few days ago.

My three pieces, in the order of easiest to hardest (less to more time spent):

Trail arm stuff: I start the sessions off focusing on this one. I do it during my warm-up swings because it's the easiest to do. It's almost like a setup change; I just have to remember to do it. Wrist stuff is basically the COVID drill stuff: left hand hinges up, right hand hinges back, a little palmar flexion at the top to feel laid off. Right arm feels like it doesn't lift at all (no active lifting) and I need to rehearse it like Ben Hogan's swing where the left arm doesn't get above the shoulder plane. Firmed up my grip just to add some tension to help keep the right forearm from rotating inward and getting the club across the line.

Left hip/shoulder back: This one still feels the same as before. Left shoulder back, knee allowed to go back, hip back. Pressure off the left heel and into the right heel. I feel tension in my right glute and hamstring when I do it right. Feels like a sway. I focus on this intermittently, but since I don't actually sway, I kind of just take this all the way to the end of my range of motion and it's pretty much what I'm looking for. I almost can't overdo this one, which is my favorite kind of swing change.

Right knee stuff: This one was frustrating. I spent two days alternating between doing too much and not doing enough, doing to much towards the ball and not towards the target, too much towards the target and just turning my hips without sitting... it was a f***ing mess. I couldn't find the right feel that produced the right look without something else being weird, even at slower speeds. Today I think I found something that works. I think of both knees moving and drawing semicircles with them. It kind of handles everything all at once, and it's simple. I kind of like it. The lead knee/leg isn't quite working the same way as it did in Erie and I'm not getting the extension and turn through stuff the same, but I can work with it. Looks like my left foot is flared out too much in these swings.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

The lead knee/leg isn't quite working the same way as it did in Erie and I'm not getting the extension and turn through stuff the same, but I can work with it. Looks like my left foot is flared out too much in these swings.

Extend a tiny bit sooner.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Extend a tiny bit sooner.

Yea, I thought about that. I tried it a little bit today and the tiny bit part is where I have difficulty. If I did it too early I'd thin it.

I'm not going to worry about it for now. Just going to keep working on my pieces and if it's something I need to address down the road, I'll look at it then.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I need to work on my tempo. I've been better with the fidgety stuff but my swing is still basically 2:1. Not enough time to get all my pieces done properly and sometimes hit my partial wedges too long.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Haven't had the chance to hit any balls since I played over the weekend, though I still practiced stuff without a club. Today I was pretty tired after work but I made myself get outside since I had the opportunity.

I'm uploading these videos in full speed because I'm deliberately slowing down the backswing and wanted to see the difference in real time.

It's probably a hair on the slow side but that's fine for practice. I'm sure I'll speed up a bit when playing.

Backswing is better slower. I'm moving the clubhead the right way: hitting A2 with my hands below my belt, club vertical when shoulders reach 90°, and not getting across the line at A4 and reaching the laid off feel through movement of the club instead of manipulation at the top. Once I get there I just fire hard and it feels like the energy is being transferred to the ball better instead of wasting some of it trying to counter the momentum of my faster backswing.

I altered the downswing feel a bit, too. Was trying to find the right balance between not extending soon enough and extending too soon. This one looks good. I do the knee flexing thing until my knees are parallel to the target line and then extend hard. The whole thing as one continuous movement kind of feels like I'm returning to my address position from A4, only more compressed, like I'm about to do a vertical jump.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Practiced full swing stuff. I was really annoyed by the lack of consistency in my ballstriking over the weekend, so I looked into that. From what I could tell (not going to bother uploading the video), I was squatting too much with the knees flexing move and then trying to jump out of it, causing my head to raise and tilt away from the target starting from around A5.5. Just lots of movement, obviously not a recipe for consistency.

So both knees flexing in transition isn't going to work long term. The right knee flexing feel lately has produced the wrong hip tilt in the downswing - left hip stays high and the right hip gets lower in transition - and causes my upper body to tilt away from the target. No bueno.

So I ended up trying something with my left knee. Not a squat or a bend feel, but just feeling like the left knee moves counterclockwise in transition. If it starts from 1 o'clock (my point of view), I feel it moving back along the clock face to 12, 11, then 10 o'clock. It's not what I had to feel when I worked on it with @iacas in Erie and I'm a little apprehensive that it's not what I'm supposed to be doing, but at the same time it looks more like what I'm trying to do even though it's a completely different feel and I'm hitting the ball better doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Remember, @billchao, I said the feelings would shift/migrate, etc.

What we're after is pretty close to what I see in those videos. Basically, you just don't want your right leg to stay "straight" as that causes some weird hip stuff the whole downswing.

The right knee could flex a little bit more in the DL video (tough to tell FO), but it's pretty damn good there, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Remember, @billchao, I said the feelings would shift/migrate, etc.

Yea. I just wasn't expecting it to shift to the opposite leg.

What we're after is pretty close to what I see in those videos. Basically, you just don't want your right leg to stay "straight" as that causes some weird hip stuff the whole downswing.

The right knee could flex a little bit more in the DL video (tough to tell FO), but it's pretty damn good there, really.

Great, thanks for taking a look. At least now I know I'm not crazy.

About this, anyway :whistle:

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, billchao said:

About this, anyway :whistle:

The Devils still suck.

The Devils still suck.

Yea well that's what happens from being one of the best teams in the league for 15 years.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Practiced today. A single-cell thunderstorm passed overhead, not sure it was really the best time to be holding a metal stick.

Focused today on the arm pieces. That seems to be the primary driver on whether I hit the ball solidly or not. Went back to a feel I had used for a while and subsequently abandoned for no particular reason - laying the shaft down in transition. Keeps me from getting the club across the line and retracting my scapula due to the active arms of the transition move rather than letting momentum carry everything too far.

It's the dump the bucket feel. Seems good. Hit it off the center of the face. The knee stuff seemed ok even though I wasn't working on it. Not great, but at least passable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Practiced today. A single-cell thunderstorm passed overhead, not sure it was really the best time to be holding a metal stick.

Focused today on the arm pieces. That seems to be the primary driver on whether I hit the ball solidly or not. Went back to a feel I had used for a while and subsequently abandoned for no particular reason - laying the shaft down in transition. Keeps me from getting the club across the line and retracting my scapula due to the active arms of the transition move rather than letting momentum carry everything too far.

It's the dump the bucket feel. Seems good. Hit it off the center of the face. The knee stuff seemed ok even though I wasn't working on it. Not great, but at least passable.

Your swing looks better than some tour pros (I played with one last weekend). Why are you a 12? Are you working on the wrong thing?

Edited by chspeed