IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don’t go to the driving range. I could say that I’ll change that, but I’d be lying.

Legitimately, I think 30 minutes a month at the range would be enough for this stuff. You go and you just focus on hitting shots where you're aligned to the target and the ball is curving the right way. It seems like you do enough practice and other work where this probably doesn't need much time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I agree, the swing looked good at SV.

Well there’s certainly enough of you guys saying it, so I appreciate that. We are our own toughest critics, as they say.

It is entirely possible that my swing looked good at SV because I practiced a bunch leading up to the trip, but then I let things go afterwards as I usually end up doing mid-late summer as the weather gets hotter, I get busier at work, and the mosquitoes that are out on a rampage cause me to lose interest in practicing.

The driver swings I filmed on the course were awful and I’m dying on that hill.

I agree with the losing focus on some minor details we take for granted sometimes. There are times I will find a line, start thinking about something and forget were I wanted to aim.

Lately I’ve been picking an intermediate target and setting the clubface to that, then getting into address with the face set. That coupled with the mechanical adjustment seemed to have worked well last weekend.

If you are just hitting shots at the range to hit good shots, I doubt there is a difference. If you are focusing on making swing changes (exaggeration), then there will be a difference. Still, there is no difference unless you have video evidence. Schrodinger's Golf Swing 😛 

I think that’s part of it. When I’m practicing, I’m focused on making a particular movement in the swing. When I’m playing, I’m focused on hitting the ball. I’m not making swings with the same intent. The evidence is there in last week’s videos. The swing on the 12th is definitely not the same as the swing on the 15th, unless I changed the outcome by measuring it 😜

9 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Legitimately, I think 30 minutes a month at the range would be enough for this stuff. You go and you just focus on hitting shots where you're aligned to the target and the ball is curving the right way. It seems like you do enough practice and other work where this probably doesn't need much time.

I’m going to try it.

I honestly haven’t practiced much at all since SV. There are three days with swing videos in my camera roll since July 11, and I record videos every session. I’m not putting in the time and I know it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I might have figured out the issue with my pitching. The old habit of rolling my hands while taking the club back crept back. I’m essentially exposing too much bounce and relying too much on timing to hit the ball. It’s something @david_wedzik showed me I was doing many years ago.

I’m playing tomorrow morning, so I’ll try to keep on top of it and see how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, billchao said:

I think I might have figured out the issue with my pitching. The old habit of rolling my hands while taking the club back crept back. I’m essentially exposing too much bounce and relying too much on timing to hit the ball. It’s something @david_wedzik showed me I was doing many years ago.

I’m playing tomorrow morning, so I’ll try to keep on top of it and see how it goes.

Yea this was it. Full swing is left wrist up, short game is right wrist back. There should be absolutely zero conscious forearm rotation feeling in any of it.

Need to work on bunker shots. Or play courses with better bunkers. Probably both.

I think I’m playing my wedges too far forward in my stance. That could explain the occasional fat shots and why I tend to hit the ball high off the face out of the rough.