IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's a big difference Bill, looks great. I didn't realize you used an interlocking grip.

Thank's, Steve.

Yea, I've been using it ever since I started playing. Never liked the Vardon grip; I always felt like the club jerked around too much. Tiger uses it and so does Jack (my hands are the same size as his prints in his book), so it was good enough for me.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Does the shortened swing translate to longer clubs? 

When I practice, yes. On the course it's still too long. My feel is to stop when I think my left arm is parallel to the ground (which it's not really doing), so it should work for all clubs once I get it to stick.

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

You hear tips about shortening your swing, like think going halfway. I had to think as short as possible to get it be a little short of parallel. To get a backswing that ends at A2, I have to think okay, take it back 1 inch.

I have no concept of A2 ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, billchao said:

Thank's, Steve.

Yea, I've been using it ever since I started playing. Never liked the Vardon grip; I always felt like the club jerked around too much. Tiger uses it and so does Jack (my hands are the same size as his prints in his book), so it was good enough for me.

When I practice, yes. On the course it's still too long. My feel is to stop when I think my left arm is parallel to the ground (which it's not really doing), so it should work for all clubs once I get it to stick.

I have no concept of A2 ;-)

I use interlocking as well. The Vardon doesn't feel secure for me. My right hand doesn't feel like it has a good grip. I also have long thin fingers, so interlocking works better for me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I use interlocking as well. The Vardon doesn't feel secure for me. My right hand doesn't feel like it has a good grip. I also have long thin fingers, so interlocking works better for me.

I'm going to try the reverse overlap for a while. It feels like my right hand has full control of the club and I can downcock easier.

I haven't played or gone to a range with it yet, but if it works I'll stick with it. I like feeling like my right side controls the swing because number of bad things can happen if I let my swing feel too left side dominant.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to jot down a couple of quick thoughts:

1. Last time out playing, I hit draws with my full swings and slight cuts with my 3/4 or flighted shots. Really messed me up on a few approach shots as I started the ball right/center of the green and watched it fade just off to the right instead of drawing back into the middle. I wonder if making a shorter backswing will change my stock shape to a fade? It's annoying to have to play for multiple misses.
  2. I might have to stop doing the downswing portion of my practice inside the house as I seem to have injured my left foot somewhat. It's a little swollen and tender right at the proximal end of the 5th metatarsal (the little protrusion on the side of my foot) and I'm pretty sure it's a direct result of practicing barefoot and rolling onto the outside of my left foot as I swing through to my finish. It's been like this for a while now and this is really the first time I'm thinking about not practicing altogether. I think I can keep doing slow motion work right up to to A7 at least.

Bill

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, billchao said:

Just wanted to jot down a couple of quick thoughts:

1. Last time out playing, I hit draws with my full swings and slight cuts with my 3/4 or flighted shots. Really messed me up on a few approach shots as I started the ball right/center of the green and watched it fade just off to the right instead of drawing back into the middle. I wonder if making a shorter backswing will change my stock shape to a fade? It's annoying to have to play for multiple misses.
  2. I might have to stop doing the downswing portion of my practice inside the house as I seem to have injured my left foot somewhat. It's a little swollen and tender right at the proximal end of the 5th metatarsal (the little protrusion on the side of my foot) and I'm pretty sure it's a direct result of practicing barefoot and rolling onto the outside of my left foot as I swing through to my finish. It's been like this for a while now and this is really the first time I'm thinking about not practicing altogether. I think I can keep doing slow motion work right up to to A7 at least.
  1. I see that sometimes as well. You should film your shorter swings to see if they are coming on the same path. Mine was a bit different. 
  2. Wait until you break 50. I'm sore after every practice session! :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I see that sometimes as well. You should film your shorter swings to see if they are coming on the same path. Mine was a bit different.

It must not be the same path because the flight is different, but I'll have to film it just to see if there's anything else going on there.

My question would be, should I try to make my stock shot a fade because my stock flighted shot (which I'm assuming has cleaner mechanics because my contact tends to be better) is a fade, or should I work on hitting a draw with shorter swings as well?

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Wait until you break 50. I'm sore after every practice session! :-P

It's going to happen (hopefully) whether I wait for it or not :-P

But seriously, I should probably stop putting almost all my weight on a tiny little bone in my foot.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Started working on the downswing. I think the backswing is good for the time being; I don't really seen me take the club too far inside or the wrists breaking down at the top anymore.

Working on not internally rotating the right shoulder too early in the downswing. Rotating early causes me to bring the club down too steep and have to do other motions to shallow it out and stay on plane which causes all sorts of contact issues.

Feel is the classic pitch elbow feel of keeping the right elbow pointed at my belly button in the downswing. I also think of it as karate chopping a piece of wood set up perpendicular to my target line with my right hand  or karate chopping my open left hand still in address position (as opposed to an open palm clap).

I apparently edited out and deleted my practice videos, but the practice is just doing that karate chop and the pump drill (with karate chop feel).

I'm actually surprised that I'm starting the ball on line. It feels like I'm going to hit it way right. Pretty good progress for day 1 I think.

New Bill in 2016, now with kung fu action!

Edit: Forgot to mention I took the video with my Note 5. The slo-mo is only 120fps and not as smooth as the iPhone 6, but it does just fine IMO.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

Started working on the downswing. I think the backswing is good for the time being; I don't really seen me take the club too far inside or the wrists breaking down at the top anymore.

Working on not internally rotating the right shoulder too early in the downswing. Rotating early causes me to bring the club down too steep and have to do other motions to shallow it out and stay on plane which causes all sorts of contact issues.

Feel is the classic pitch elbow feel of keeping the right elbow pointed at my belly button in the downswing. I also think of it as karate chopping a piece of wood set up perpendicular to my target line with my right hand  or karate chopping my open left hand still in address position (as opposed to an open palm clap).

I apparently edited out and deleted my practice videos, but the practice is just doing that karate chop and the pump drill (with karate chop feel).

I'm actually surprised that I'm starting the ball on line. It feels like I'm going to hit it way right. Pretty good progress for day 1 I think.

New Bill in 2016, now with kung fu action!

Edit: Forgot to mention I took the video with my Note 5. The slo-mo is only 120fps and not as smooth as the iPhone 6, but it does just fine IMO.

Very nice Bill!

Just remember to keep the 'chop' pressure through impact or it can become a release hook instead of a soft push draw.  

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Very nice Bill!

Just remember to keep the 'chop' pressure through impact or it can become a release hook instead of a soft push draw.  

Thanks, V! I just started doing it, so when I get more comfortable I'll head to a range and see what the flight looks like.

I can tell you that it was a really odd feeling when I first started doing it, but it got easier as I kept doing it. It was one of the best practice sessions I've had in a long time, contact-wise.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Left foot is hurting again. It hasn't hurt pretty much since I stopped rolling onto it on hard flooring, but I hit 12 balls yesterday and woke up today with the pain again. They weren't even all full speed. I think I either have to give it more time or start working on a different way to transfer my weight/extend into finish.

I guess I'll start working on the footwork :whistle:

Bill

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, billchao said:

Left foot is hurting again. It hasn't hurt pretty much since I stopped rolling onto it on hard flooring, but I hit 12 balls yesterday and woke up today with the pain again. They weren't even all full speed. I think I either have to give it more time or start working on a different way to transfer my weight/extend into finish.

I guess I'll start working on the footwork :whistle:

My left foot has been hurting lately too, on the outside. Maybe it's a moderator thing. @nevets88, how is your left foot doing? :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

Bill ...looks pretty good.....16.8 HC...where do you lose shots?...do full shots go where you want them to?

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

My left foot has been hurting lately too, on the outside. Maybe it's a moderator thing. @nevets88, how is your left foot doing? :-P

Ha ha. Not the left foot, but the left shoulder. 

Ask Jordan Spieth how he stays healthy w/that foot roll of his? :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Bill...it's hard to say and easier to see in the slo-mo but I think I see this as the graphic describes.....possible?

bilfulad.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

The swing is looking good. I notice you do those drills pretty fast. If you do them slower you will be able to feel the move you want better ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Hmm. Must be developing spidey-sense?

3 hours ago, collapse said:

Bill ...looks pretty good.....16.8 HC...where do you lose shots?...do full shots go where you want them to?

No. I'm prone to hitting blocks because I tend to come too far from the inside. That's why it's so important for me to keep my arms in front of me.

I don't swing like this on the course yet, but I'm getting there.

2 hours ago, collapse said:

Bill...it's hard to say and easier to see in the slo-mo but I think I see this as the graphic describes.....possible?

bilfulad.JPG

Yes. Also a slight forward press from FO, as well as a slight weight shift/slide to my right hip. None of these are intentional and the hip thing goes against what I'm trying to do in the backswing.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The swing is looking good. I notice you do those drills pretty fast. If you do them slower you will be able to feel the move you want better ;) 

Thanks. Yea I probably did them too fast, but I spend a lot of off-camera time doing slow motion practice, half swings, etc. This was more of just trying to feel it before I took a full swing, kind of like a preshot routine.

Bill

My Swing Thread

If you agree that you are lowering your hands just before takeaway,this suggests to me you are not comfortable with the lead hand hinge you have so you are trying to get that feeling you want.

26 minutes ago, collapse said:

If you agree that you are lowering your hands just before takeaway,this suggests to me you are not comfortable with the lead hand hinge you have so you are trying to get that feeling you want.

Doubt it. It's just a subconscious swing trigger.

Bill

My Swing Thread