billchao

My Swing (billchao)

689 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is it Spring yet? ;-)

Just a little information, I usually start practice by warming up and then filming my first two "raw" swings to see how my practice has affected my "real" swing. These are those swings B-)

Still working on shortening the backswing and staying in a good position at the top and into transition without tipping the clubhead across the line.

I altered my takeaway/backswing feel, too. Instead of feeling passive hands and just turning my shoulders which tends to get my hands and clubhead a little underplane, I'm feeling like I'm trying to push my left hand away from me in an effort to extend my left arm. I feel this results in a better movement throughout the backswing and into transition. Instead of being slightly under and tipping out (and leading to being across the line), I'm more able to stay on plane and shift from steep to shallow.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mapped my wedges hitting into my net today, GW, SW, and LW. Didn't do my PW because I literally only thought to do it just now. My PW is really an iron, anyway.

I had some issues with Mevo picking up shots, especially the shorter wedge shots. It might have caught every other 1/2 wedge and close to every third 1/4 wedge. Probably the limited flight combined with the smaller difference in club versus ball speed confuses the unit.

I separated the blocks of data into four groups: full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 (all by feel)

2-21-18 GW.png

2-21-18 SW.png

2-21-18 LW.png

Full swings look right, though I almost never hit my LW full. I find it interesting that the higher the loft, the lower I actually hit a full shot (for comparison, I hit some 7i shots today and averaged 104'). I'm not sure what that means, really, but I have no problem holding greens I hit so it probably doesn't matter.

I can't even verify the partial distances because I don't really know mine. For example, I played my half GW for years as 75, which it's clearly not. This explains my lack of consistency and distance control from about 120 and in.

Random notes:

• It seems like I can get a little too long when I'm trying to make the shorter swings, too. Makes sense.
  • I don't like my SW. It's heavy in a weird way and clunky. Even good shots don't feel good.
  • I came close to airmailing the net on some of these shots, which caused me to move it slightly closer, which probably made it harder for Mevo to catch the shots.

Guess that's it. Thought I would have more to say about this, but apparently not. Happy to be going into the season armed with more information than I ever had about my approach shots. That's going to raise my GIR% because I'm prone to missing short wedge shots after good drives. Going to write out my distances and tape them on the underside of my shafts.

10 hours ago, billchao said:

Mapped my wedges hitting into my net today, GW, SW, and LW. Didn't do my PW because I literally only thought to do it just now. My PW is really an iron, anyway.

I had some issues with Mevo picking up shots, especially the shorter wedge shots. It might have caught every other 1/2 wedge and close to every third 1/4 wedge. Probably the limited flight combined with the smaller difference in club versus ball speed confuses the unit.

I separated the blocks of data into four groups: full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 (all by feel)

2-21-18 GW.png

2-21-18 SW.png

2-21-18 LW.png

Full swings look right, though I almost never hit my LW full. I find it interesting that the higher the loft, the lower I actually hit a full shot (for comparison, I hit some 7i shots today and averaged 104'). I'm not sure what that means, really, but I have no problem holding greens I hit so it probably doesn't matter.

I can't even verify the partial distances because I don't really know mine. For example, I played my half GW for years as 75, which it's clearly not. This explains my lack of consistency and distance control from about 120 and in.

Random notes:

• It seems like I can get a little too long when I'm trying to make the shorter swings, too. Makes sense.
  • I don't like my SW. It's heavy in a weird way and clunky. Even good shots don't feel good.
  • I came close to airmailing the net on some of these shots, which caused me to move it slightly closer, which probably made it harder for Mevo to catch the shots.

Guess that's it. Thought I would have more to say about this, but apparently not. Happy to be going into the season armed with more information than I ever had about my approach shots. That's going to raise my GIR% because I'm prone to missing short wedge shots after good drives. Going to write out my distances and tape them on the underside of my shafts.

This is where the Mevo is going to excel for us. I wonder how much a mat vs. grass will change the results. I plan on doing this into my net, but once the grass ranges open up, I will repeat it.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

This is where the Mevo is going to excel for us. I wonder how much a mat vs. grass will change the results. I plan on doing this into my net, but once the grass ranges open up, I will repeat it.

If your swing remains the same, it won't affect it by much. I recommend hitting off a much firmer section of the mat to more closely mimic your fairway conditions and your natural reactions.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

If your swing remains the same, it won't affect it by much. I recommend hitting off a much firmer section of the mat to more closely mimic your fairway conditions and your natural reactions.

Great, thanks!