IGNORED

Hole 18 - Finish with a Par 5, 4 or 3?

Blitz28179
Note: This thread is 3808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer as a closing hole?

• Par 5
    • Par 4
    • Par 3

My Club's finishing hole is a Par 5 and it plays as a 3 strokes (unless you can carry 300 yds off the tee).

I would never like to see a finishin ghole as a Par 3. Played one nice course with a Par 3 18th hole and it was absolutely strange... din't like it at all (and it was a very short par 3)

I think Passatiempo finishes with a par 3.

It was different.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Passatiempo finishes with a par 3. It was different.

Really want to play there. Someday. ;) Don't know if everybody remembers, but the last, last time they played the US Open at Congressional (not Rory's, but Ernie's) it finished on a par 3. But they made a unique change since then, flipped the tee and green, called it #10 and bumped everything else back a hole so the current 18 was the old 17.

Whether the finishing holes are difficult, easy, or somewhere in between.............there is no superior design or best way to finish.

This is what is great about golf....every course is unique!    IMO....this variety is partly what makes the game great!  Every course offers a unique set of challenges.   Whether the finishing holes are where you need to make birdies or hang on to your pants and hope to survive doesn't matter......

I didn't even vote because I don't care...... I enjoy both kinds of courses.  (those with difficult finishes and those with birdie opportunities down the stretch)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Really want to play there. Someday. ;)

Don't know if everybody remembers, but the last, last time they played the US Open at Congressional (not Rory's, but Ernie's) it finished on a par 3. But they made a unique change since then, flipped the tee and green, called it #10 and bumped everything else back a hole so the current 18 was the old 17.

Top 12 courses in the US that end with a par three. Misquamicut should be in the top three

http://theaposition.com/robertfagan/golf/courses-and-travel/4902/dozen-best-american-golf-courses-finishing-with-a-par-three

• 2 weeks later...
If the score is tight you are juiced on eighteen. A five or a tough four would be equally cool. I agree that a five is probably more merciful but still requires both the skill and the nerves on Sunday. I think the par five is better. More room to recover but more opportunity to fall apart. Classic.

Top 12 courses in the US that end with a par three. Misquamicut should be in the top three

http://theaposition.com/robertfagan/golf/courses-and-travel/4902/dozen-best-american-golf-courses-finishing-with-a-par-three

Some nice looking courses on there! Sandpiper looks great.

Will W

To me whether it's a 3, 4, or 5 is irrelevant. To me the 18th is a bring you back hole. It should be one where it's possible to post a number.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

I answered par 5 cause I thought we were talking about for ourselves.  For pro tourneys, I agree a variety of finishing holes can fun interesting, depending on the lineup coming down to the wire and the spread of scores.  I answered par 5 for myself cause my scoring average over the long run is near par on par 5s and much over par on other holes, and I like to finish with a birdie :)

But really any interesting hole is fine with me.  Interesting can be relatively easy too, but there should be some risk or something other than just, wide open, weakly or unprotected easy green.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Which Do I Prefer for a Closing Hole, par 5, par 4 or par 3?

I like both par 4's and par 5's as finishing holes, but not par 3's. A par 3 finishing hole has an odd feeling to it and I haven't come across one yet that doesn't seem out of place.

Each course should  have its' own character or personality and an ebb and flow to play. How that play ends should fit in with the flow of the course.

JMO

DD

In the Bag

Driver - Taylormade R1 Black

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 15* 3-Metal

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 18* 5-Metal

Irons - Ping G15 4i-UW

Wedge - Ping Anser 54* SW

Wedge - Ping Tour-S 60* LW

Putter - Ping Anser 4

Ball - Top Flight D2+ Feel

Rangefinder - Callaway/Nikon LR550

Yep.  Nothing more fun than the uphill 440 yard ball-buster par-4 to finish a round ... with a 5 or worse!

Give me a nice risk-reward par 5 where I can make birdie or double and I'm happy either way.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!