IGNORED

Driver ball flight - spin rates or due to wind?

Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I noticed today, that when I was hitting my driver well - that it wasn't flying in the air, as much as I thought it would do - even though I hit it pretty well.  Basically, I was playing a draw and hitting up on the ball, which I have been trying to implement on my drives.  When the ball was in the air, instead of carrying as far, as I thought it would do - the ball dropped like a stone.

I didn't know if that could of been for a couple of reasons.  There was a strong wind, and this happened with a wind - assisted drive; did the ball simply get knocked down by the wind?

Or is it the fact that when I got my driver fitted (G25, tour stiff shaft), I was hitting the ball worse, than I am now.  When I got fitted earlier in the summer, I was hitting a fade / bit of a slice and down on the ball; so the spin rates were higher and the stiff shaft was needed to keep the spin down.  But now, whilst hitting up on the ball and not fading it / slicing it, is the shaft too stiff and not enabling me to get the spin rate that I need, to keep the high ball flight ( FYI swing speed is 109 mph).

Should I just go and get on a launch monitor to see where I'm at?

If the problem continues, then yes go check out the numbers on a launch monitor

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the problem continues, then yes go check out the numbers on a launch monitor

I concur w mvmac.

I don't know what loft you are playing, but with 109 SS, it's probably low, and with your old swing that added spin, the fitter probably put you into a kit that attempted to reduce spin - and therefore, you play a lower loft.

I believe, wind-assisted drives will lower your spin, too, while into the wind drives will balloon your ball.

If the G25 is adjustable, you might try adding loft. HItting on the upper part of the face will, I believe, increase your launch, so try teeing higher and hitting on the upper center of the face. At 109, a stiff sounds right - but your loft may be too low.

See what the above does, and if not, arrange another fitting with your improved swing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the replies.

I seemed to have solved the problem, perhaps it was a swing issue I had that day.  I basically decided to hit the ball a bit harder, as due to the swing changes I have been swinging quite a bit 'inside of me'.  The harder that I tried to hit the ball, the higher it got.

FYI I play a 10 degree loft.

Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!