IGNORED

TST SoCal Winter Outing - Feb. 16, 2014 @ Goose Creek

jefkve
Note: This thread is 3713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I checked the forced carry for that on google maps from Whites. Looks like 202 yards aiming for the bunker. As you move off line to the right it goes to 230 yards at about 10 degrees off line.

Aim left.

Am I looking at a different hole?  From the first tee box in front of the creek a straight line to the right edge of the bunker looks totally dry to me.  Of course, if you venture at all right off that line, you're dead.  And it's only 210-220 to the bunker, so if you don't want a forced carry you'll have to play wood-iron or iron-iron, depending on your distance, but definitely no driver if you don't want a forced carry.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/70859/tst-socal-winter-outing-feb-16-2014-goose-creek/288#post_950463"]   I checked the forced carry for that on google maps from Whites. Looks like 202 yards aiming for the bunker. As you move off line to the right it goes to 230 yards at about 10 degrees off line. Aim left. ;-) [/QUOTE] Am I looking at a different hole?  From the first tee box in front of the creek a straight line to the right edge of the bunker looks totally dry to me.  Of course, if you venture at all right off that line, you're dead.  And it's only 210-220 to the bunker, so if you don't want a forced carry you'll have to play wood-iron or iron-iron, depending on your distance, but definitely no driver if you don't want a forced carry.

I assumed the second box was whites, and the first ones for ladies or gold?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Am I looking at a different hole?  From the first tee box in front of the creek a straight line to the right edge of the bunker looks totally dry to me.  Of course, if you venture at all right off that line, you're dead.  And it's only 210-220 to the bunker, so if you don't want a forced carry you'll have to play wood-iron or iron-iron, depending on your distance, but definitely no driver if you don't want a forced carry.

No you're looking at the right hole.  I think @Lihu is planning on getting really bold to try and leave a short second shot. :-P No matter which tee you're playing from, that line to the bunker has no forced carry  (well, from the blues, there is that ditch you have to cross but I think we can all manage 50 yards, huh?) :beer:

(well, from the blues, there is that ditch you have to cross but I think we can all manage 50 yards, huh?)

*Fingers crossed*

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

I assumed the second box was whites, and the first ones for ladies or gold?

Yeah that's what I meant.  I always end up describing that kind of thing backwards.  I meant the one of the two tee boxes in front of the creek that's closest to the creek, so makes the hole longer.  That's the 2nd longest of the 4 tee boxes as far as I can figure.

Anyway, this doesn't really matter!  Regardless of which exact line requires a forced carry, pretty much no matter where you aim there's death right!  I think I'm actually more scared of the approach shot.  Sure I could definitely lose one in the water off the tee, but it's so much less frustrating to mishit a driver or wood or even a long iron than the wedge or short iron you'll have into the green.  And I am definitely capable of pushing a simple PW off the green right after hitting a perfect tee shot!  Looks like a fun, challenging finishing hole.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

No you're looking at the right hole.  I think @Lihu is planning on getting really bold to try and leave a short second shot.    No matter which tee you're playing from, that line to the bunker has no forced carry  (well, from the blues, there is that ditch you have to cross but I think we can all manage 50 yards, huh?)

When you played there were the blue tees in the furthest small tee box of the bigger one closer to the creek?  From either I don't have the distance to cut it short and try to carry the water anyway, but at least from the front one a shorter club that's less likely to go in the water won't leave you a very long approach to the green right next to the water.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

When you played there were the blue tees in the furthest small tee box of the bigger one closer to the creek?  From either I don't have the distance to cut it short and try to carry the water anyway, but at least from the front one a shorter club that's less likely to go in the water won't leave you a very long approach to the green right next to the water.

You know, I don't remember.  I actually forgot it even existed (the back one) because it isn't clear on google maps unless you look closely - there's a tree blocking it.

Further, if you measure the hole, it's pretty clear that based on the card, the blues are measured from the tiny one (466), and the whites are measured from the big one (430) that is still prior to the ditch.  So if they have the tees where they're supposed to be, we're all going to have a fun time finishing up on Sunday. :)

I think everybody's target should be the dude's cart in the google maps overhead shot (it's out of reach, but I think its a good, safe-ish line).  Just a little left of the bunker, playing away from the water.  It's going to leave a 180-200 approach for most of us, unless you want to get a little daring and hug the waters edge, which could cut 10-20 yards off your approach.

(I sense there will be a lot of pitch and chip shots being attempted from short and left of the green) ;)

EDIT:  And to add to the fun, IIRC correctly, it plays upwind. :-P

I think everybody's target should be the dude's cart in the google maps overhead shot (it's out of reach, but I think its a good, safe-ish line).  Just a little left of the bunker, playing away from the water.  It's going to leave a 180-200 approach for most of us, unless you want to get a little daring and hug the waters edge, which could cut 10-20 yards off your approach.

(I sense there will be a lot of pitch and chip shots being attempted from short and left of the green) ;)

EDIT:  And to add to the fun, IIRC correctly, it plays upwind.

Yeah that's what I have in my notes as the play.  Even if I put one out there at a good distance for me I'm at best playing 6i to mid green.  Recalling the aim for the middle of the green thread, depending on how my irons are playing Sunday I could definitely be forgetting even the middle of the green and be aiming for the left edge and hoping for an up and down!

Re:Edit - So you're telling me my tee shot's gonna go short and then the wind will be pushing my 4i approach towards the water?  Bastard course designer...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Re:Edit - So you're telling me my tee shot's gonna go short and then the wind will be pushing my 4i approach towards the water?  Bastard course designer...

Yeah, I really hope I'm wrong about that or that it was a Santa Ana day, because that hole is brutal enough without any "help" to make it play longer.

By the way ... for anybody who is NOT on my team, here is the information for the course to prepare you for Sunday:

http://goosecreekgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=117&page;=1461

Thanks GD that is going to be one hell of a commute, any one interested in carpooling! :pound:

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

By the way ... for anybody who is NOT on my team, here is the information for the course to prepare you for Sunday:

http://goosecreekgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=117&page;=1461

Thanks GD that is going to be one hell of a commute, any one interested in carpooling!

Most likely under 2 feet of snow too!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

All of you guys doing Valentine's day stuff with your boyfriends tomorrow or anybody want to meet up to grab a bite somewhere?  I should probably study, but if a group want to meet up nearby I can probably be convinced to not study :-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

All of you guys doing Valentine's day stuff with your boyfriends tomorrow or anybody want to meet up to grab a bite somewhere?  I should probably study, but if a group want to meet up nearby I can probably be convinced to not study :-)

I can't. Wife and I are going to Book of Mormon in Hollywood tomorrow evening. I'll be out there around 10:30 on Sunday.

I can't. Wife and I are going to Book of Mormon in Hollywood tomorrow evening. I'll be out there around 10:30 on Sunday.

Lucky bastard.  I put off buying tickets to Book of Mormon for weeks because I wasn't sure which date I wanted to go to, and by the time I figured it out there were only a couple weeks left and they were all sold out.

Hmm, I'm gonna see if they have any tickets left for tomorrow's show :-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Lucky bastard.  I put off buying tickets to Book of Mormon for weeks because I wasn't sure which date I wanted to go to, and by the time I figured it out there were only a couple weeks left and they were all sold out.   Hmm, I'm gonna see if they have any tickets left for tomorrow's show :-)

If you find one, let me know. We'll meet up before or after. We got ours from my in laws as an anniversary present 4 months ago. :)

Is anybody planning to meet anywhere around there for breakfast?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Is anybody planning to meet anywhere around there for breakfast?

@jefkve mentioned that he is thinking of eating at the course. We might do the same.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!