IGNORED

TST SoCal Winter Outing - Feb. 16, 2014 @ Goose Creek

jefkve
Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-troop

As I sit in my humvee in the middle of the Mojave desert, bummed that I couldn't make it but watching the beginnings of a beautiful desert sunset over the mountains, I wonder things. How did the event go? Who was the MVP? What is this mystery prize? Why haven't any pics or trash talk been posted?

Mike and Erik took some photos to post.

Group 1 came in with 89 stable ford points. Group 2 had 95, we had 100 exactly, and group 4 had 103.

Bechambo (Barrett) shot 73 for their MVP and won the mystery prize. It was a locker. A wooden locker ... 5 ft high, by about 1' by 1' and it contained a Taylor made hat and a 6 iron from each of their 3 players iron sets. Fairly useless, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Had a great time seeing everybody again. Was good meeting Rich for the first time. Hopefully, Kevin, we'll catch you at the next one.

Wow, must be nice to be a scratch golfer.

100% agree, it was great to finally meet everyone.

We need to get more So. Cal. Sand trap golfers to go to these things. Are you setting a goal of 100 Sand Trappers by next year? ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Here's the picture dump from my phone…

Right to left: @Lihu , Kaili, @hacker101 , and son.

@mdl , @bplewis24 , @turtleback , @jefkve

@bplewis24 teeing off.

@turtleback smacking one down #1.

@mdl at A4.

@jefkve tees off.

@Pakoh , @Beachcomber , @GolfSwine , @Golfingdad Barney.

@Beachcomber attempting to be "taller." Sorry, Shawn, I couldn't crop out the feet. :)

@Beachcomber is tall when shot from a low angle!

See?

@Pakoh getting Key #2. ;-)

Barney went with a three-wood to avoid the bunker.

@GolfSwine demonstrating the amazing timing of my shutter button trigger finger. ;-)

The winning team ;-) (Thanks Barney for taking the photo):

@tristanhilton85 , @mvmac , @iacas , @Bechambo

The second hole.

@Bechambo from a precarious lie on a par five.

@Bechambo with his awesome prize!

Everyone (except @mvmac and I):

Thanks to all who came out!

New nicknames from the event:

@Golfingdad - Barney

@tristanhilton85 - Low T

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I was fun out there today. I hit the ball pretty well although the score didn't show it... Luckily my team picked up the slack and we ended up with the win... that's back to back to back wins for me and @Bechambo , although who's counting? :-)

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Had lots of fun guys.  But I'm tired as hell from going down there and driving all over the place this weekend, so I'm going to bed!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Group 1 came in with 89 stable ford points. Group 2 had 95, we had 100 exactly, and group 4 had 103.

Since I don't play tourney's very much, with the stableford system, who generally has the best chance of winning, high or low handicap players? From what I read in the postings, I belive all 4 group 1 members estimated their HC. From an analytical perspective it looks like the HCs were estimated on the low side given the score results, but don't know for sure. I would guess the course slope would impact this too, but I think that gets figured out when calculating the couse HC. Just curious. Brad

I was fun out there today. I hit the ball pretty well although the score didn't show it... Luckily my team picked up the slack and we ended up with the win... that's back to back to back wins for me and @Bechambo, although who's counting?

Maybe next time our team needs team shirts, at least if we don't win we will look good! :banana:

Congratulations to you guys!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

I was fun out there today. I hit the ball pretty well although the score didn't show it... Luckily my team picked up the slack and we ended up with the win... that's back to back to back wins for me and @Bechambo , although who's counting? :-)

When are you setting up our next outing? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Had lots of fun guys.  But I'm tired as hell from going down there and driving all over the place this weekend, so I'm going to bed!

It was great to see you again, my kid's project is due Wednesday, so we could not stay too long this time. Pace of play was a little slow, as we waited for the people ahead of us every hole.

We are still hopeful for Poppy Ridge, but I have these tickets promised for Toshiba for Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartin461 View Post
Quote:

Since I don't play tourney's very much, with the stableford system, who generally has the best chance of winning, high or low handicap players?

From what I read in the postings, I belive all 4 group 1 members estimated their HC. From an analytical perspective it looks like the HCs were estimated on the low side given the score results, but don't know for sure.

I would guess the course slope would impact this too, but I think that gets figured out when calculating the couse HC.

Just curious.

Brad

We played at 80% handicap to make sure us higher handicappers did not have too much of an edge. Not that it mattered because the course was really tough. Red stakes everywhere, and thick rough, 25' tall marsh grass, swamp everywhere around the elevated fairways where any renegade ball would venture. I had a lot of close calls, and lost 4 in play shots.

It was fitting that the one scratch player won the prize. It was also a little humorous that it took Tristan and Barrett to carry it to their car. :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

Maybe next time our team needs team shirts, at least if we don't win we will look good! :banana:

Congratulations to you guys!

Team shirts? We'll need them for the Sandtrap Invitational NorCal vs. SoCal tournaments. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No one mentioned the hot chicks on the course ;)

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

:-$

And the Geese!

Seriously, I think I only saw two or three women on the entire course yesterday.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Btw, not calling anyone out, but how many balls went in the water on 18? I know our group had 1...

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Btw, not calling anyone out, but how many balls went in the water on 18? I know our group had 1...

My son, splash Mike, splash, but ended up okay Justin splash My first shot went right into the bunker. It felt like my only good drive, until I mapped my two decent drives. My provisional, splash. Duck hooked in the water. We were so ahead of you guys, we took a few more pot shots before finishing up. I was the only one unscathed, because I went through this hole in my mind many times. You could drive into water, approach into water and putt into water. It was a feel good hole for me to bogey. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My son, splash

Mike, splash, but ended up okay

Justin splash

My first shot went right into the bunker. It felt like my only good drive, until I mapped my two decent drives.

My provisional, splash. Duck hooked in the water.

We were so ahead of you guys, we took a few more pot shots before finishing up.

I was the only one unscathed, because I went through this hole in my mind many times.

You could drive into water, approach into water and putt into water.

It was a feel good hole for me to bogey. . .

Hey I did not splash my ball!

First shot by the bunker second by your cart I bogeyed the hole too if not mistaken. :dance:

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/70859/tst-socal-winter-outing-feb-16-2014-goose-creek/342#post_951958"] My son, splash Mike, splash, but ended up okay Justin splash My first shot went right into the bunker. It felt like my only good drive, until I mapped my two decent drives. My provisional, splash. Duck hooked in the water. We were so ahead of you guys, we took a few more pot shots before finishing up. I was the only one unscathed, because I went through this hole in my mind many times. You could drive into water, approach into water and putt into water. It was a feel good hole for me to bogey. . .[/QUOTE] Hey I did not splash my ball! First shot by the bunker second by your cart I bogeyed the hole too if not mistaken. :dance:

Oh, yeah. I miswrote your line, sorry.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

We had 2. @GolfSwine tried to bite off too much fairway on his tee shot.  I pulled my tee shot, chose to lay up and pulled that under the trees, then punched out with too much juice across and through the green and into the back of the pond.  Whoops.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but just to throw it out there:

Black Gold in Yorba Linda is one I think we should look at for next time.

Another course that intrigues me that I've never played, is Empire Lakes in Rancho Cucamonga.

Or, maybe we consider heading down to San Diego as well.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but just to throw it out there: [URL=http://www.blackgoldgolf.com/]Black Gold in Yorba Linda[/URL] is one I think we should look at for next time.

I grew up about 2 minutes from this course. It was not a Golf course when I lived there. It was an oil field which we used to sneak into to shoot each other with paint balls.

Michael

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but just to throw it out there:

Black Gold in Yorba Linda is one I think we should look at for next time.

Another course that intrigues me that I've never played, is Empire Lakes in Rancho Cucamonga.

Or, maybe we consider heading down to San Diego as well.

Black Gold looks really nice, I'll vote for it. Unless, @mvmac can get us Torrey Pines with San Diego rates?

Whites are easier than this last outing, but Blues are a little too much for me and my son right now.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!