IGNORED

TST SoCal Winter Outing - Feb. 16, 2014 @ Goose Creek

jefkve
Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Are you sure you are an actual member of this group. Looking at the list of members, I don't see you. I think that maybe you are able to post because you are the admin.

Uhm, yeah, that would explain things. Derrrp. :doh:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My bad, just looked at the scorecard and that's the yardages we played from.  They have room for another set of tees further back on most holes so I figured those were the "real" blue tees. I got it, what Drew said, "conversation between Tristan and me".

[quote name="iacas" url="/t/70859/tst-socal-winter-outing-feb-16-2014-goose-creek/120#post_933903"] Then maybe we'll have to play "the markers" or something, because 6500 yards is short enough (the only real water seems to be the 18th), and wedges into most par fours doesn't sound like a great test. I'm not macho - even 6800 is fine - but if it's 6300 at the longest that's not terribly great. [/quote]Mike, I think you probably played from the actual blues. The tees way back on some holes are extra tees for some competitions I believe.

• Administrator

Mike, I think you probably played from the actual blues. The tees way back on some holes are extra tees for some competitions I believe.

If that's the case maybe we can play some back set of tee signs, if they have them.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/70859/tst-socal-winter-outing-feb-16-2014-goose-creek/120#post_933898"] My bad, just looked at the scorecard and that's the yardages we played from.  They have room for another set of tees further back on most holes so I figured those were the "real" blue tees. I got it, what Drew said, "conversation between Tristan and me".

[quote name="iacas" url="/t/70859/tst-socal-winter-outing-feb-16-2014-goose-creek/120#post_933903"] Then maybe we'll have to play "the markers" or something, because 6500 yards is short enough (the only real water seems to be the 18th), and wedges into most par fours doesn't sound like a great test. I'm not macho - even 6800 is fine - but if it's 6300 at the longest that's not terribly great. [/quote]Mike, I think you probably played from the actual blues. The tees way back on some holes are extra tees for some competitions I believe.[/quote] Makes sense. They hold a lot of qualifiers here, according to the course "resume".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm leaning ever so slightly towards skipping out on this event.  Between tax/audit season at work and taking classes for the first time in years (and having not picked up a club since November), I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or not.  What date should I target to make a final commitment decision?

Lastly: GO PACK GO!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator

What date should I target to make a final commitment decision?

Yesterday. You're playing. :-D

If that's the case maybe we can play some back set of tee signs, if they have them.

I don't remember if the back tees even have markers, but I don't think they do.  In just looking at google maps and comparing it to their scorecard, I can see that the 2nd (par 3), 4th (par 5), 11th (par 3), 14th (par 4), 15th (par 4), and 17th (par 5) holes each have an extra tee box.  It doesn't look like any other holes do.  I'm just guessing here, but it looks like:

Hole:   Blue tees on card:      "Mystery" way-back tee:

2                  185                                 205

4                  533                                 582

11                184                                 212

14                322                                 352

15                422                                 485

17                541                                 565

And other than the possibility that there may be an extra tee box for the 3rd hole immediately adjacent to the 2nd green (which, if true, would take that hole from 389 to 450-ish) then that is all I can see on here.  A total of 200 or so extra yards, on top of the 6556 shown on the card, would bring us to 6750 or so if we were able to play those.  (6810 counting the 3rd hole)

No idea if the course would allow us to play back there, or if it would be possible to make sure everybody will even find each of those tee boxes, but just thought I'd let ya'll know what I think I see.

I'm leaning ever so slightly towards skipping out on this event.  Between tax/audit season at work and taking classes for the first time in years (and having not picked up a club since November), I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or not.  What date should I target to make a final commitment decision?

Lastly: GO PACK GO!

I think two weeks before to let us know would be fine. That being said, I really hope you can make it out to this. It's been great having you out at the last two and would be a shame if you couldn't make this one.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

I think two weeks before to let us know would be fine. That being said, I really hope you can make it out to this. It's been great having you out at the last two and would be a shame if you couldn't make this one.

Yes I hope you can make it. I've never met you (I don't think?), and would like to.

Yes I hope you can make it. I've never met you (I don't think?), and would like to.

Brandon didn't come to Morongo, only Talega and Oak Quarry, so yeah, pretty sure you haven't met him.  He's a good guy, ou'll like him.  I hope he can make it this time too!

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/70859/tst-socal-winter-outing-feb-16-2014-goose-creek/120_30#post_934069"]   Yes I hope you can make it. I've never met you (I don't think?), and would like to. [/QUOTE] Brandon didn't come to Morongo, only Talega and Oak Quarry, so yeah, pretty sure you haven't met him.  He's a good guy, ou'll like him.  I hope he can make it this time too!

Ditto to the above. We plan to stay after the round this time.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Brandon didn't come to Morongo, only Talega and Oak Quarry, so yeah, pretty sure you haven't met him.  He's a good guy, ou'll like him.  I hope he can make it this time too!

Agreed.

Can't wait to play!

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

My son feels good with blues, and I'm going to play the same.

Can't give an accurate index yet. Things are in flux with both of us. Can we give them to you closer to the event?

We will have 3, myself, son and father in law.

I will need to get you all closest HC I can for myself and son, once my father in law comes back from vacation he keeps his up to date will send all 3 at that time.

As for what tees to play from dont care, we play from both depending on the course. Also if you put us with a 4th what ever he is playing from will be fine, none of us are long hitters.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

• Administrator

I will need to get you all closest HC I can for myself and son, once my father in law comes back from vacation he keeps his up to date will send all 3 at that time.

As for what tees to play from dont care, we play from both depending on the course. Also if you put us with a 4th what ever he is playing from will be fine, none of us are long hitters.

We'll have to talk about this.

What ever you need let me know were easy.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I'm not sure if this is what @iacas was getting at or not, but, for me, it is a little different when kids are around.  I'm not exactly a "crude" guy or anything, but I still feel like I have to "behave" if there are kids present.  It wasn't a big deal when you and Lihu each had one guest, because as Erik said before, you four could just play together.  Nobody would be uncomfortable around a kid, and the kids would probably have more fun with a peer present.

More importantly though, the original idea around these outings was to be able to meet a lot of new people in the area who like golf, and when everybody just brings (and then plays with) their family, I think they are missing out on that aspect.

I certainly don't want to un-invite anybody, but maybe let's try and keep this to TST members (or potential members - we definitely are also all about expanding) and then bring the family members in when we need to fill out foursomes if we're short a player here or there?

P.S.  Reallllly not trying to offend anybody here, so I hope I didn't, but just trying to remind everybody what we're doing.

P.P.S.  In a few years, I'd loooooove to start a TST Socal members father-son tournament too!  (My son is 4 currently and doesn't know how to play so I can't start it yet. ;))

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacker101

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacker101

I'm not sure if this is what @iacas was getting at or not, but, for me, it is a little different when kids are around.  I'm not exactly a "crude" guy or anything, but I still feel like I have to "behave" if there are kids present.  It wasn't a big deal when you and Lihu each had one guest, because as Erik said before, you four could just play together.  Nobody would be uncomfortable around a kid, and the kids would probably have more fun with a peer present.

More importantly though, the original idea around these outings was to be able to meet a lot of new people in the area who like golf, and when everybody just brings (and then plays with) their family, I think they are missing out on that aspect.

I certainly don't want to un-invite anybody, but maybe let's try and keep this to TST members (or potential members - we definitely are also all about expanding) and then bring the family members in when we need to fill out foursomes if we're short a player here or there?

P.S.  Reallllly not trying to offend anybody here, so I hope I didn't, but just trying to remind everybody what we're doing.

P.P.S.  In a few years, I'd loooooove to start a TST Socal members father-son tournament too!  (My son is 4 currently and doesn't know how to play so I can't start it yet. ;))

Already 4 and you haven't signed him up for a golf clinic yet? :-D

Also, back on topic, my son and I can split up into two groups? Maybe front 9 we play together and the back 9 we switch?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hey Mike, we were just talking about this.  Think it would be best for this outing for you and your son to play with Lihu and his son.  If we have another spot available in another group I think it would be fine for you father in law to join us.  Like Drew said, not trying to offend you or anyone else, we would just like to stick with the original purpose of these outings.

I'm not sure if this is what @iacas was getting at or not, but, for me, it is a little different when kids are around.  I'm not exactly a "crude" guy or anything, but I still feel like I have to "behave" if there are kids present.  It wasn't a big deal when you and Lihu each had one guest, because as Erik said before, you four could just play together.  Nobody would be uncomfortable around a kid, and the kids would probably have more fun with a peer present.

Good post Drew, thanks.  It's great we have so many people interested in these outings.  Good "problem" to have to have to reinforce the spirit of these events, meeting and playing golf with new people that you "know" on a golf website.  Yes there have been groups in the past with two or three guests (Shawn :-P ) and I think for future outings that has to change.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!