IGNORED

What is your average Driver yardage?

itzzzberny
Note: This thread is 4725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far can you go w/ the Driver on average?

• 75 - 150 yards
    • 151 - 200 yards
    • 201 - 260 yards
    • 261 - 285 yards
    • 286 - 320 yards
    • 321 - or more

This has been the most amusing thread I've read in a long time.

I've read about the first 1/2 of all posts in this thread and here is what I've found.

1. On average the mid-high handicapper's drive the ball further than the low handicapper's.
2. The very high handicapper's have been humbly honest.
3. The single digit handicapper's have exaggerated significantly less than the mid-high.

This is of course MHO.

I absolutely believe that there are mid-high handicapper's here that can drive the ball 300+ yards, but for the vast majority...it is simply a major exaggeration that you are averaging the distance of a PGA touring pro.

Why I've found this thread so amusing is that in reading these posts I've imagined myself averaging 280 carry and what it would mean for my game; here are my statistics.

Playing the game for 7 years, I'm 34 (index 9.2) I play the tips or 1 back from tourney
Average carry - 235 (245-260 with role) swing speed 100 MPH
fairways - 60%
GIR inside 150 - 70%
GIR outside 150 - 25% (425+ par 4, 190+ par 3)
GIR over all - 45%
Sand save - 30%
Up and down from just off green 50%

If I were to average 40 yards more carry (swing speed would have to be 120+ MPR and would only happen in my dreams), I would be inside 150 yards 90% of the time on par 4's and my GIR would go up to about 75% from 45% regardless of fairways hit.(my current inside 150 GIR would go up, I'd also be using mid irons into long par 3's).This would translate into 5.4 strokes saved per round as it relates to GIR with an additional 2 trokes picked up on par 5's (conservative) for a total of 7.4 strokes saved. I would play to about a 2 index. Since I'm still learning the game...I could become a touring pro in no time (yeah right). My course is 6,400 yards.

This has been very fun to dream about...thanks to you mid-high handicap long hitters for brightening up my day!

Of course if you are carrying 280 yards at an elevation of 5,000 plus feet...well that ought to be disclosed, don't you think.

I don't mean to sound condescending at all to any of you who really are long hitters caring a high handicap. I personally have played with guys you can reach all the par 5's at my course in 2 and they still manage to biggie almost every time (2 chips from 10 yards off the green and lots of puts). I just don't see how the average guy can reach Tiger Woods swing speeds, he plays almost every day and works out like a body builder. What's more is he hits his driver fairly square. A 15-20 handicapper would have to generate 140+ MPR swing speed on off center hits to reach Tiger Woods distance???

I'm pretty sure I've stayed on topic, sorry if I've strayed a bit. I've enjoyed all your posts

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

This has been the most amusing thread I've read in a long time.

I play a lot and I average 240 to 250 total yardage with my driver. I have a buddy who plays maybe 3 to 4 times a year who hits it 260+ on average. Thats all he can do is drive...when he does play he shoots in the 100s...i know, its strange but it is God's honest truth.

I would LOVE to be hitting over 260 consistantly but like I said im on the lean to middle side of 240.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I play a lot and I average 240 to 250 total yardage with my driver. I have a buddy who plays maybe 3 to 4 times a year who hits it 260+ on average. Thats all he can do is drive...when he does play he shoots in the 100s...i know, its strange but it is God's honest truth.

If he's hitting 260+ he is likely carrying the ball 240-250 depending on course condition. That is reasonable if his club-head speed is 100-105 MPH. I've hit many drive 280, but there was 35+ yards of roll involved.

But to carry the ball 280 consistently suggests total yardage of 300+ yards. and that's quite a lot different. Most 20+ handicaps would never do this on a regular basis; most of their approach shots would be with a wedge and would be missed, they'd also have to 3 putt almost every hole to maintain their handicap. I'm sure there are exceptions, I'm just lost in the exceptional math.

In the Bag

If he's hitting 260+ he is likely carrying the ball 240-250 depending on course condition. That is reasonable if his club-head speed is 100-105 MPH. I've hit many drive 280, but there was 35+ yards of roll involved.

I get you....and i agree....Just your average player's short game combined with those drive yardages would equate to PGA scorecards....not hapnin'

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

Got paired with a big hitter who launched the ball so high it just disappeared and would then reappear 280+, all carry. Then out came the wedge, and that's when the fun would begin . . . SHANK! All he could do is drive the ball out of sight, the rest of his game was terrible.

There are quite a few people like this, maybe construction workers who have been using hammers all day for years and they can just hammer the driver, but no touch or feel for the short game.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• 2 weeks later...
I find it hysterical that people drive it "over 300" First off you have to hit it solid--so a lot of mid to high's are excluded. Then--do you really know how far 300 yards is---its longer than you think..Theres a lot of PGA Tour players that would die to hit it 300 yards on average.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I find it hysterical that people drive it "over 300" First off you have to hit it solid--so a lot of mid to high's are excluded. Then--do you really know how far 300 yards is---its longer than you think..Theres a lot of PGA Tour players that would die to hit it 300 yards on average.

A sad fact... most golfers are full it. And you know what "it" is. The top three tour driving averages right now averaged together comes to 307 yds. That's the top three ball crushers, Watson, Holmes and Wetterich. These 14 handicappers that hit one drive a day around 270 and they think that is their "average" are delusional.

You are right about not knowing the distances. Every time I actually measure a drive it is less than I thought it was based on how it felt or looked. I play with strangers all the time, falling into a wide range of skill levels, and I swear I have seldom played with anyone who can hit the ball over 260. With rare exception the "big hitters" who can really kill it, might hit two fairways in a round. Guess what dreamers? If you miss the fairway it does not count! If you look at how course ratings are determined , they estimate an amateur scratch golfer will drive the ball 250 on average. A good drive for me is generally 230-240 and even the 1 and 2 handicappers I play with are not more than 10-30 yards past me in the fairways. I'll make a deal with any 10+ handicapper in LA. We'll play 18 holes at a muni course and if they can hit 5 or more fairways and average 270+, I'll pay 'em $100. If they fail, they can pay my green fee. That's 3:1 on their money. I have a range finder, a GPS and plenty of time to play golf! Think I'll get any takers? Subpar

I can see the next big TV show.

"So You Think You Can Drive The Ball 300 Yards"

The 10+ Handicap amateur that can hit 5 fairways and roll the ball past 300 yards (at an altitude of no more than 2,000 ft) wins a PGA Pro-Am exemption. I can see this show lasting many many seasons without a winner.

In the Bag

Its kind of funny--you have to hit the ball extremely straight to even hit the 300 mark. The deposition of people today iterating that they hit the ball 300 yards infuriates me

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Its kind of funny--you have to hit the ball extremely straight to even hit the 300 mark. The deposition of people today iterating that they hit the ball 300 yards infuriates me

I have to agree.

I can average 260-270 (with my constant fade) on a good day with my driver. oh, this is INCLUDING ROLL. if i sat there at the range, i would MAYBE hit one 280-290, out of a 100 ball bucket!
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

i dont have an official handicap

but if anyone in the uk wants to do that deal where the bet the equivalent of £50 if i can hit 5 fairways and average over 300yards on the best 5 fairways hit i would be game - if i couldnt i would pay you.

also i think that winning a place at a pro am event would be great - get that sorted!

i am sure i have said this before but will again - just because you cant do, just because you havent seen it, doesnt mean that it doesnt happen.

lol

I only measure my driver yardage when I'm on the range, & it's only between 215 to 225 yards of carry on average (when straight) with about 5 ro 10 yards of roll, & I'm still working on it. Help!

In my Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 10.5° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D3 RF Graphite

3-Wood: TaylorMade r7 Ti 15° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D2 RF Graphite

3-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 21° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

4-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 24° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

5-9: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D3 RF Steel

PW: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D4 RF Steel

AW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 50°, 6° Bounce WF Steel

SW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 54°, 10° Bounce WF Steel

LW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 58°, 8° Bounce WF Steel

P: TaylorMade Rossa Daytona1 AGSI®+ 32” Blade

I average 270-275 carry, swing speed of 115 on average with driver (90 D2 8.5*, Fujikura Speeder 757 x-stiff shaft).

I played with a guy the other day that I hadn't seen since highschool. He's 6-4, athletic build, gets up on the first par 5 and crushes it. I step in and hit (I'm average build, 6'), hit away, and after he ask how far I hit on average. I tell him, then ask him, to which he says "300 - 310". Drive down the fairway to the first ball and he sits there for a minute, and wonders why I'm not getting out. I say to him simply, "that's you, I'm 20 yards up the fairway." Boy was he pissed.

In the Bag:
Driver 907 D2, 8.5*, Accuflex x-stiff
3 Wood 904F 15*, Accuflex V2, x-stiff
Hybrid 585H, 19*, Aldila NV 85S
Irons MP 57's, + 1", 1* up, Project X 5.5Wedges Titleist Spin Milled 56* and 60*, oil can, +1/2", 1* upPutter :Scotty Cameron: Newport 2Ball ProV1Bag: OGIO Gromwww.quail...

i used to be around 220, but at the range i was ripping it about 240-250. then again, a couple of times i hit it 140. and once, i skied i higher than my 60*. so AVERAGE? i have no clue

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Note: This thread is 4725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!