IGNORED

What is your average Driver yardage?

itzzzberny
Note: This thread is 4726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far can you go w/ the Driver on average?

• 75 - 150 yards
    • 151 - 200 yards
    • 201 - 260 yards
    • 261 - 285 yards
    • 286 - 320 yards
    • 321 - or more

Why should it be banned? It's quite simple. Tee yardage minus yardage left to hole after tee shot. Simple math right?

No. That is far too inaccurate. Cutting a dogleg can easily 'add' 50y to your yardage if you take that method.

Take GPS at start, GPS at point of landing, adjust for wind and elevation. That's the only fair way. Today on the range three guys walked up. One asked the other: "How far should I hit a 7 iron". The other answered: "I hit it about 180, but you won't get that far. About 125 or so.". I watched the 'teacher' hit a bucket of balls and I guess he topped about 50% of them, his clubhead almost hit is front knee on his backswing, he had a bad slice and when he hit relatively straight, his clubface was wide open and the ball skyrocketed and landed way short of 'average'. Now, take away the part where I watched the guy.... welcome to the internet :). Oh.. and he hit 3 birdies and an eagle in the last round he played... awesome!

didnt really want to know that you go to the gym, but thanks for sharing,

I sense the sarcasm... and I mentioned I go to the gym because people wonder if lifting weights and strength training has any bearing on the distance of their drive... duh?

And yes I have entered one with a 334 yard drive. Just because I can hit a long drive doesn't make me a scratch golfer either. My handicap is a 12 because I need help on my accuracy with my irons as well as with the putter. And don't worry about my game, I just started playing last summer. Figured I'd catch some flack for saying that I can hit a ball 320 so I'll take some video this weekend if it doesn't rain with some of my drives. Regards

Driver: Taylor Made r5 9.5 - Stiff
Irons: Wilson Ci7 - TX105 Stiff
Putter: Cleveland VP Milled #1

I sense the sarcasm... and I mentioned I go to the gym because people wonder if lifting weights and strength training has any bearing on the distance of their drive... duh?

This story may be of interest to you. About 4 years ago, I interviewed Mike Schmidt, Hall of Famer at third base for the Phillies, and excellent golfer. He was in Cooperstown, not to play in the Hall of Fame golf tournament, but to COMPETE against senior golf professionals in a three day tournament. He almost won it. After the second round, I sat down with him and his playing partners to "have a conversation"---and NOT an interview, although I was representing my regional golf magazine. One was the Head Pro at Baltusrol and the other was a Head Club Pro from Texas. Both of them were playing well, and had posted good scores for the first two rounds. Mike was leading the tournament at the time, in spite of a double bogey 5 on the 17th hole that day. I was curious how far all three hit the ball, so I asked what iron they hit on the uphill, 9th hole, a par 3, that measures about 175 and plays at least 10 yards longer than that. Mike Schmidt said 8 iron and it was the right club. The other two said the same thing, and then they said, "Yeah, but every time Mike hit driver, he blasted it by us by 30 yards." In other words, he knew when to "throttle down" for the sake of accuracy, and when to "let out the shaft". That is the mark of a smart Long Ball Hitter, who has a solid golf swing. The same thing was true of Bobby Jones. Gene Sarazen wrote in his autobiography that he and Bobby were the same distance off the tee at most par 4's, but on EVERY par 5, Bobby was 30 yards ahead of him.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

over the past 2 years of owning a SkyCaddie i've been compiling a list of my yardages. on the average i find myself hitting 292yds. i have hit the ball over 350yds., hell, i've hit a 340yd. 3-wood off the tee in a tournament this year.... but that doesn't mean i'm gonna say i have some astronomical driving distance averages.
In The Bag
Tour Burner TP 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 83 X-Stiff, tipped 2"
906 F2 13* Pro Force V2 95G Stiff
Idea Pro Gold 18* Aldila NV 105X
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

As I learned to play whilst at boarding school I rarely was able to play during term time so I had some summer months where I was playing four or five times per week, then I'd go six weeks with nothing but the odd trip to the driving range.

On average I'd hit it about 240yrds, but by the end of the summer when I was on my game I'd be more like 270yrds average.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

I carry the ball anywhere from 210 through 230. It usually rolls about another 10-13 yards. With a 460cc driver I can only get about 175 with a hue slice. thats why I moved down to the 250-320 cc range.

Driver: Hyper X Tour 10.5* Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Acer Select 5000 16* Ping Cushin Stiff Shaft
Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

I had one of those driving range experiences during a practice session on Sunday.

There were two middle aged guys warming up for their round to my left. When they brought out the drivers, I heard Player "A" telling "B" how he got ahold of a couple last round going about 250. He wasn't boasting or anything, but was genuinely happy (that's cool).

Player "B" talking about his drives going 240...then he had to go ruin it by saying "...240 to 280".

I watched him hit several drives. At our range, the white flag is on a "green" that was 203 to the front edge, about 215 to the middle (according to my SkyCaddy). This guy was barely flying the front edge. He never got close to the yellow flag which was 248 out. Judging from his ball flight, I don't see how it ever could.

I immediately thought of this thread and had to laugh. (Then like a big showoff, I pulled out my big dog and began peppering the back hillside on the fly with big towering shots (273 to the bottom; 297 to the top). I noticed it got real quiet behind me.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I tee off with the 3W and on average I'd say I drive about 200 when I'm not shanking it :p My range is probably 185-215ish, 200 average

Things I Am Good at in Golf

- Hitting it in the drink
- Finding the rough with my drive
- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

Average around 265-270. It does vary a little depending on the day.

Titleist 983E 9.5 Accra 65 Stiff Shaft
Titleist 906f2 15 Bassara Stiff
TM Burner Rescue 19
Titleist AP2 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 52, 56 Ping Craze g2i

seems to me like people in the U S OF A are easily impressed

i started hitting 290 and it got real quiet etc

in the uk no one would give a stuff! i know as i hit it long and hardly ever does anyone remark!

more likely to ignore you for looking like a twat because you are leathering the ball!

in the USA it seems people gather round and watch as soon as you manage a 300yard drive.

i dont get it

seems to me like people in the U S OF A are easily impressed

We all know your story but the fact is, the average golfer does not hit it 280-300. The average tour pro hits it those distances.

You are a Long Drive competitor. You are not an average golfer and I doubt very much you represent the U.K. Let me ask you a hypothetical question...if some guy comes outs to your range and starts bombing them 500 yards, I'd bet you'd take interest. Are you telling me you wouldn't be impressed?

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I average about 260. One of my mates can carry the ball 300 yards, on a silly high ball flight, its beautiful to watch.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

This is my first year playing golf so I am not very good. I'd say my average is between 150 and 200 yards if I can hit it straight. If you count my distance straight plus my curve, then the number might look better.

I average around 225 off the tee. I play a 6610 yrd par 71 track. There is a 444 yard par 4 that I rarly reach in two. We have 6 par 4's that are over 400 yds. I am not that much shorter than most of my playing partners, maybe 10-15 yards on average and they are all single digit handicappers. We have zoysia fairways and they keep them watered. I'm impressed with all the long hitters here, but not with many of the handicaps posted.

If I could truly average 250 plus I am sure I could get my handicap down to a 2 or 3 index.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

Around 260 when I hit a fade and around 275 when I hit a draw.
That's counting fairway drives, which are rare now

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Well, this morning I managed to average about 200-210 by taking nice, easy shots on the range. Living in the bay area there is almost always a breeze and most courses build their driving ranges straight into the prevailing winds. The only way to get around it is to go at 7 AM, before the wind picks up.

I used to get really frustrated at my 'lack of power' until I realized I was always hitting into a 10mph wind. A 10mph wind takes at least 10-15 yards off a 7I and probably 20-30+ off the driver.

my last 2 rounds i have recorded drives of 325, 332, 334, 369, 380. And dont call bullshit because they were all measured by GPS. I hit a high fade, when i hit a draw its dead as can be.

Bag: Hoofer 3
Driver: G10 9.5*
3 Wood: 975F 13.5*
Hybrid: G10 21*
Irons: i3 Blade 3-SWLob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60.04Utility Wedge: MB 60 bent to 64Putter: White Hot #5 Center Shafted/Lead Tape WeightedBall: Pro v1xLowest Round: 68 Par 72 (73/127)

My average is 200-220 on a good day! One time (in the band camp ) I've hit 260! The fairway was downhill!
Mainly I focus on the straightness of the drive, not the distance. I've tried, probably, 5-10 drivers, with different lofts, different shafts, all of them promising +20-30 yards. The end result was always the same with a minor differences. My current driver gives me the consistency of the shot and that is all I need.
But, I must admit, I would really like to hit, once, a 300 yards drive!

Weapons of choice:
Big Bertha 460 Driver
3W Big Bertha (2007)
TaylorMade r7 Draw Rescue Hybrid Wood #3TaylorMade RAC OS 2 IronsMens Vokey Spin Milled Tour 56 & 60PING Karsten Series Anser2 (I like the classic look and feel)Whatever Ball is on sale (currently Pro V1 2007)

Note: This thread is 4726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!