IGNORED

What is your average Driver yardage?

itzzzberny
Note: This thread is 4699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far can you go w/ the Driver on average?

• 75 - 150 yards
    • 151 - 200 yards
    • 201 - 260 yards
    • 261 - 285 yards
    • 286 - 320 yards
    • 321 - or more

I hit one today where I felt like I crushed it, even a couple folks I didnt know who were waiting told me it was a hell of a drive. 235 yds & dead center down the fairway is where it ended up at.

I realize for a pro or a scratch player that's nothing, but for a high handicapper I am more than happy with it. I have no reasons to bs anyone on a website regarding my drive lengths.

OMG, such fascination with driving distance. I can relate to the feeling, but straight hitting is SO much more useful. How about Fairways hit or GIR's or putts per round, sand saves etc.

I was watching high end amatuers play last week and the long hitters have to be so accurate off the tee it's insane. These guys were regularly popping drives out 320 or 340 yards. One dude hit a couple 380 yards. He hit it straight but would still catch rough whether it was running through the fairway or would move a few yards too far one direction or the other. There should be a test like driver's license exams. Before you are allowed to swing hard enough to make the ball go over 250 yards you must demonstrate that you can hit it straight to that distance. Obviously this is a joke, but honestly we should all get over the distance thing a little bit and focus on accuracy. I know I have and it's helped my game a lot.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I carry it about 280 yards, I know this as its been a wet summer and my ball has ended up about 2 yards in front of or behind its pitch mark

Not to pick on you but just to make a point.

As relayed to me by the Trackman Rep on the PGA Tour. (trackman is a launch monitor that actually measures the flight of the ball by radar, not by an algorithm of the spin within the first few inches of flight.) A pure 7 iron carry distance of 170 yards equates to a driver carry of approximately 265 yards. A carry of 265 yards puts you squarely in the middle of the PGA Tour driving distance stats (top 60 or so). For those that are considering their roll out yardage, that number is meaningless. the ONLY thing that matters is carry. Roll is transient based on the course conditions, ball flight, shot shape etc, but carry is something you can rely on. Oh and as an aside... the carry number of 265 I mentioned, into a 10mph or so head wind, was approx 235 yards of carry with a driver. To anyone that REALLY wants to know how far they hit it, take a buddy and a laser range finder... put your buddy in the center of a BIG fairway 250 yards out... and see how many balls you carry to him, I would have to guess for nearly every person on this board that number would be very close to zero even for those that think they hit the ball 300 yards.

OMG, such fascination with driving distance. I can relate to the feeling, but straight hitting is SO much more useful. How about Fairways hit or GIR's or putts per round, sand saves etc.

I agree 100%. Although My average driver distance is around 235-245, I haven't been using a driver much the past 5 times out. I can hit a 3 hybrid 210-220 consistantly and I hit it dead straight, so its alot easier to be 25 yards back in the fairway then hitting outa the ruff

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

diggity dog - yea, sounds like a great idea. well if no one puts one up by thurs day night i'll make one.

just came back from playing at brookside in pasadena (right next to the rose bowl). learned to correct some mistakes from before and was a lot more accurate w/ my driver.i hit a great 300 yard shot(carry w/ the roll), left me w/ a easy 50 yard chip and putt. what a great day....

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

I'm very new to golf (buying my first set of clubs tomorrow). How do I find this out? Do you just knock a few around at the driving range and see where you land? Sorry for the lame question.

I go for the method recommended by Toski. Learn from the hole back to the tee. Putting is more important than any other shot in the game.

Start off making 2 foot putts, then 3 feet. Once your making 95% of the three footers, start developing touch by stroking 20-30 footers. Once you have some touch, start chipping (you can use your putting grip) from off the green working from 20-50 feet. Once you can get it up and in from 30 feet with regularity move on to pitching the ball. You get the idea. Do these things first and you'll be able to hold your own on the golf course right off. Nearly all beginners hack it with the full swing no matter what they do. Well, I enjoyed writing this but you will probably go out and buy a thousand dollar set with X shafts, go to the range and get 200 balls, then hit all 200 with your 8 degree driver. Oh, take lessons.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

diggity dog - yea, sounds like a great idea. well if no one puts one up by thurs day night i'll make one.

DUDE! crazy ..haha sorry... my dad just bought a condo in pasadena less than 5 minutes from there (RIGHT next to colorado blvd with all those shops) and when i went to visit him a couple weeks ago i played brookside everyday ...like at least 7 times.. it's a pretty cool course.. def different from my home course here in northern va. (right outside of dc)

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

About 225-235 yards but only around 80% of the time straight.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

On the range I'm about 230 (in the air) and straight 65-70 percent of the time. Once I'm on the course however, I probably lose 15-20 yards and only 50% of the shots are straight.

For some strange reason there's no icon for "Golden Bear" clubs. I wonder why?

I carry my drive on a consistant bases of 270 to 275 and i get about 15 to 20 yards of roll:)

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

On the range I'm about 230 (in the air) and straight 65-70 percent of the time. Once I'm on the course however, I probably lose 15-20 yards and only 50% of the shots are straight.

That is interesting... Most everyone I know hits the ball farther on the course than on the range. Even at the decent places here in Orlando, most of the range balls are consistently 5-10 yards short on an average iron shot and that or a bit more on a driver.

I use the range to practice technique and direction, never for distance control. Nothing replaces using the same balls in the same conditions you will face on the course to determine your actual distances with each club. Doing with with Top Flite Range balls doesnt cut the mustard

That is interesting... Most everyone I know hits the ball farther on the course than on the range. Even at the decent places here in Orlando, most of the range balls are consistently 5-10 yards short on an average iron shot and that or a bit more on a driver.

Oh, I certainly hit the ball better on the range than on the course. I don't get as much distance with crappy range balls, but I certainly make better contact. Something to do with range shots versus shots on the golf course. Basically on the range, if you miss, hit another ball. Big deal. On the golf course, miss and you're probably going to pay for it.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I posted 261-285 and am usually in that range. I've taken a couple of lessons recently and learned that I was trying to "muscle" the ball and swing pretty much arms only while simply lifting and turning my front foot towards the target which aimed my hips that way. Essentially fooling myself into thinking I was turning my hips. I was a bodybuilder and do have a lot of upper body and torso strength so even though I was swinging improperly, I was getting the 261-285 distance. Long story short, my instructor now has me using my torso to build resistance and "crack the whip" as they say, and I have recently hit a few in the 300-320 range.

IMHO, 250 is just as good as 300 on most holes. It is your 2nd shot and short game that will give you a good score as long as you keep it in play off the box. My hdcp is a prime example of distance not helping a scorecard much.

Side note - if you live in a higher altitude area like Colorado Springs for example, you should be getting more distance. My brother lives there and every club was 20-30 yards longer for me when we played at Fort Carson.
WITB:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5° Fit-On M Gold Fujikura Stiff
Fairway Woods: Big Bertha 3W Fujikura Stiff
FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

For the Barclays, Mickelson averaged 280 yds, Stricker the winner averaged 276. Yet we continue to have people delusional enough to believe they are driving the ball better than these guys?

And you don't know how driver distance is calculated on the PGA Tour.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

According to the PGA website, it's simply the total yardage divided by number of times a player used a driver. There are no 2 iron shots or other stuff included. I believe those numbers also include roll, nowhere have I seen a stat for PGA drive "carry".

So the folks here who claim to carry it further than the PGA guys get even with roll are...........

Are you sure you read the website?

From the website:

The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not. (101)

Link: http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/2007/101.html Scroll to the bottom.

Phil Mickelson would be hitting ridiculous bombs at any local municipal course.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

Note: This thread is 4699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!