IGNORED

What is your average Driver yardage?

itzzzberny
Note: This thread is 4726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far can you go w/ the Driver on average?

• 75 - 150 yards
    • 151 - 200 yards
    • 201 - 260 yards
    • 261 - 285 yards
    • 286 - 320 yards
    • 321 - or more

Ever hear Brad Paisleys song "Online"?

HAAAAAAAAHAHA!

( Favorite part of the Paisley vid: William Shatner exclaiming, "I can't sing?" Although I have to admit I thought his cover of "Common People" ROCKED .) Tom...who is thicker AND longer off the tee thanks to the internet.

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I crush the ball hitting it 300 to three hundred plus several times a round. I feel kind of like a freak show golfer because I hit it long, pretty good with irons but 3 putt often and have a barely serviceable short game. I spent so much time working on length and completely avoided my short game. I step up on a 400 yard par 4, hit it a hundred out and still struggle to make par, mostly making bogey. I would trade driving the ball long to just hitting average 250 yard drives with a good short game.

I think the key here is "average". I've hit 300 yard drives before. I've even driven the 334 yard par 4 10th hole at my home course (downhill when the ground was very firm). However, I probably only average about 250-260. Gotta count them all for an average...not just the good ones

In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

Well, my last round I hit about 4 drives over 300, and three of them were downwind. Into the wind at least 270. I made a little change with my driver swing and I'm hitting it a lot further.

I crush the ball hitting it 300 to three hundred plus several times a round. I feel kind of like a freak show golfer because I hit it long, pretty good with irons but 3 putt often and have a barely serviceable short game. I spent so much time working on length and completely avoided my short game. I step up on a 400 yard par 4, hit it a hundred out and still struggle to make par, mostly making bogey. I would trade driving the ball long to just hitting average 250 yard drives with a good short game.

I have to agree. Pretty much all the time, I'd been working on trying to murder the ball and not really care where it goes. I still have this problem - I'll be 300 off the tee but in the trees, and struggle to get bogey from there. I mean, sure, it's a man thing and something to brag about at the 19th (you can bet I do), but when I'm still posting a score card in the 90's, there's problems. I'd also be happy just to hit it 250 and have a better short game. (I have recently traded some distance off the tee for better ballstriking and short game, just the flat stick refuses to work properly, is all.) If I try to murder the ball and get good contact, yeah, I can hit it 300. Thing is good contact is a rarity (usually I'll hit it off the toe, or make good contact but hit a power fade).

And if I hit it 250, I can say 300 in the clubhouse and get away with it, since the hackers say they hit it "250" but really struggle to break 220 with a fade can really say, hey, I hit it 300 when I blow it past their "250" with my "300".
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I've been reading the posts and see that many folks here are surprised by the distance that some people are claiming. For those that are in doubt, how many of you play with custom fitted shafts? How many have their drivers, irons, wedges and even putter raised a degree or two to ensure proper contact?

Personally, I never doubt anyone's distance, especially since most of my playing partners use custom made equipment. I do, too. For those that are in the same boat, they know that distance once deemed inconceivable is actually the norm, when playing with proper equipment.

For me, I'm 250-260 off the tee. As my ball speed increases (I switched to a ball that I could compress, easier), I'm sure my distance will increase, too.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

For those that are in doubt, how many of you play with custom fitted shafts?

I do (see sig).

Oh, I don't doubt anyone here . This gentlemans' game of ours places a high priority on the personal integrity of each player. If 10+ Handicappers say they average 270+ off the tee, and have to throttle back on par-5's or their second shot will sail over the green, who are any of us to disagree? It would be very unsporting to even suggest it. I fully believe the hordes who all claim to be consistantly 40 - 75 yards longer with driver than the US national average for Scratch-10Hcp players (around 200 yards, last check). If it weren't for that unfortunate putting stroke of an advanced stage Parkinson's victim, they'd no doubt be making millions on Tour.

Bag It:

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I do (see sig).

I like your humor

but do you honestly believe that a 200 yard driver average stat for 'scratch-10 hcp' golfers is real? Seems a little low to me. They must be playing some sickly easy golf courses to have an index that low.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I do (see sig).

Not so sure about that. The may 2003 issue of Golf Digest had this article:

Although definitive research is scarce, Golf Digest surveys show that the average golfer's driving distance increased from 193 to 205 yards in the last decade. In the same period, PGA Tour distances increased almost 30 yards. Even these numbers for average golfers may be generous because a test of Golf Digest Schools students in March still showed only a 195-yard average.

(an average 80s shooter swings about 89 mph)

89 mph assuming a good hit on the sweet spot comes out to about 222.5 yards of carry for the above average golfer (depending on course conditions means drives range from say, 230 to 270).

It's reasonable to assume that on average low handicappers as well as an average 80's shooter hits the ball further than the average Joe Six-Putt (score average: 105 IIRC) because well, it's more difficult to score if you can't reach greens in regulation. Sure, there's anomalies - some hacks can really murder the ball and send it a mile, but have no control over it whatsoever, and on the other end, older guys who can't hit it 150 yards anymore (slower swing speeds) but still shoot in the 80's. But generally speaking, average is 200 for the entire golfing population rather than scratch-10 cappers.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I like your humor

Thanks - glad you saw it as humor. We're just talking about a game, after all

Bag It:

just wanted to let ya'll know that a handicap below scatch is written +1,+2,etc.sorry to be a stickler but can help it,I play the only game that I call a penalty on myself.Cheers

just wanted to let ya'll know that a handicap below scatch is written +1,+2,etc.sorry to be a stickler but can help it,I play the only game that I call a penalty on myself.Cheers

...and where did you see it written otherwise?

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
What is the formula for swing speed = how much distance, ie, 80 SS equals 200 yd, 90 SS equals 225 yd, 100 SS equals 250 yd?

Within reason, 1 yard ~= 2.5 yards. So between about 90 MPH and 120 MPH, for every MPH faster you swing the clubhead you gain about 2.5 yards. So long as you maintain semi-optimal launch conditions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been getting just under 200 yards, but I usually have a 10-15 yard roll on it. I am trying to work it higher, but its hard with a Wilson starter driver (I'm deciding between a new Cleveland HiBore XL or Nike Sumo Sasquatch Squared).

In my bag:

Burner 460 9.5* Stiff
1, 2, 3 Hibore Hybird (Regular Steel)
Big Bertha 4-PW Regular TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Shafts 54* and 60* CG12 Wedges Piper Putter Tour i Balls Stand BagMy Home Course: Oak Brook Golf ClubMy Stats for This Season

Note: This thread is 4726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!