IGNORED

Marking Another Player's Ball

Blitz28179
Note: This thread is 3799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It is allowed and it is not frowned upon.

Why would you think otherwise?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Lets see.Ive been watching pro golf for a good 2 years solid and its the first time I seen it happen,I guess thats why

While you don't see it very often, it's perfectly alright for a fellow competitor to lift a players ball if the player authorizes him to do so. 20-1. Lifting And Marking A ball to be lifted under the Rules may be lifted by the player, his partner or another person authorized by the player. In any such case, the player is responsible for any breach of the Rules.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While you don't see it very often, it's perfectly alright for a fellow competitor to lift a players ball if the player authorizes him to do so.

20-1. Lifting And Marking

A ball to be lifted under the Rules may be lifted by the player, his partner or another person authorized by the player. In any such case, the player is responsible for any breach of the Rules.

I do it fairly often when senior players are in our group, just to save them the trouble. One day I marked the same person's ball 5 times during the round with a quarter and each time he put the quarter in his pocket. I'm pretty sure he didn't even realize he was keeping my quarters and since he's a really nice guy I didn't have the heart to ask for my 5 quarters back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

It is allowed and it is not frowned upon.

Why would you think otherwise?

Lets see.Ive been watching pro golf for a good 2 years solid and its the first time I seen it happen,I guess thats why

Two whole years? ;-)

I've been watching the pros for 40 years, and I have seen it before.  It's rare for them because they have caddies, and they usually get to the green together, or at least close enough that it's not necessary.  I've seen it before when one player had to wait on a ruling for his approach while his fellow competitor played and went straight to the green.  The FC was away once both balls were on the green, and was ready to putt before the delayed player got to the green, so he signaled his intent, got permission, and lifted the FC's ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!