IGNORED

For those less than full swing shots from 60-80 yards or so ...

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

... what is your stock club ?     I've tried a full lob wedge, and the super high ball flight seems unnecessary for these shots.     I've been working on my 54° sand wedge, with better, but still inconsistent results.    I'm not talking the 30-40 yard pitch shots; just the shots where you can't take your full swing and have to limit the backswing and take 50-75% of full power - these are probably my most difficult to get the distance right.   Curious what everyone else uses for their go to stock club ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Anything from a 7-iron to a 60° wedge.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Anything from a 7-iron to a 60° wedge.

wow - I could see using whatever club fits the shot for shorter pitch shots, but would struggle with that many options for longer 60-80 yard shots.    I guess "feel" plays a major role as you become a better player with these shots too ...

John

My go-to wedge is always my 56* SW and use it for a lot of shots 90 yards and in. At the range, I've actually been working on the in-between shots from 30 to 75 yards and have been getting better at it. The way I did that is to find a the length of the back swing that will go 30, 50, and 75 yards. Once I figured those out, you basically just use "feel" to for shots in between.

I do have a 60* but I only really use it for short sided chip and pitch shots. I rarely take full, hard swings with a wedge since I just tend to sky it either coming up short or spinning back too much and off the green.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Varies from an 8 iron to a sand wedge depending on the shot and the lie. From this time of year throughout the winter it's about 80% more likely to be a pitching wedge out of dormant Bermuda. In the summer that 80% shifts to the sand wedge.

P.S. I only carry a lob wedge when I go to certain courses with very tight fairways, and a lot of slope on the greens, and I'm playing very well...So not very often.

So much to consider, lie, obstacles, hole location, green contour, elevation etc.

agree - my bad.    Should have stated in my original post to consider a basic straightforward approach shot from a nice lie on the fairway.    No uphill greens, nothing unsual ... just looking for your go to stock club for a common shot that we all face.

John

48*, 52*, 56* or 60* for the 60-80 depending on how i'm trying to play the shot. One thing I learnt though is to never hit wedges full (and for that matter not even the irons) so the difficulty in hitting the 3/4 or 1/2 swing is not there for me... I'm actually trying to focus on hitting all my wedges with a lower trajectory to avoid balooning: still a WIP and not that easy to achieve for me but when executed correctly is a great shot.

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

agree - my bad.    Should have stated in my original post to consider a basic straightforward approach shot from a nice lie on the fairway.    No uphill greens, nothing unsual ... just looking for your go to stock club for a common shot that we all face.

I wish I played courses like that :-P . Kidding aside my goal is to face as few of those sub 80 yd shots as possible. Unless I've hit it up there with a driver.

Dave :-)

I've got a 52 and a 56 that I'll use depending on the lie/distance. I have to say though that the 52 is really my go to. I dunno if it's the 8 bounce vs the 14 that my 56 has...but I find it easier to learn a variety of shots with one club

I have four wedges and will use any and all of them, depending on the circumstances (lie, variables of approach, pin location etc.). And most golf course offer multiple circumstances.

Bill M

I use a 54.  I used to have a lot of trouble with this shot - but they have a little 9-hole par 3 course at my home course and one of the holes is 60-70 yards.  Forced me to do it several times and it is one of my better shots now.

I have a 50 degree gap wedge that came with my iron set that I generally use for that distance range. I also have a 56 degree wedge (with relatively high bounce) that I use for my sand wedge...while I love 56 out of the sand, I haven't gotten comfortable enough with it yet to use it for those 60 yardish shots from the fairway/rough with any level of consistency.

I would use a 54* with a full smooth swing.

Driver:  Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5

Wood:  Callway RAZR Fit Xtreme 3 Wood

Hybrid:  Callaway XHot 3 Hybrid 19°

Irons:  Adamsgolf CB2 4-P

Wedges: Acer XB 50,54,58

Putter:  Cleveland Classic 10

Ball:  Callaway Hex Hot Pro

Typically any of my wedges (45, 50, 55, 60), but depends on the feel in the moment and how I am doing that day. Lately, I have been favoring the 55*. I tend to not really shorten my swing, but slow it down. So with the 55* I swing the same length, but slower. This may not be ideal but it works for me as I feel I have more control over the speed of the swing rather than the length (backswing length, over rotating and going past parallel  are all issues for me).

Note: This thread is 3792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!