IGNORED

Thumbs..?

Hammer 4
Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So,for a right handed player, on my left hand I use a long thumb, on my right hand, do you use a short thumb, long thumb, or do you sorta fold your thumb over to the side..? Too lazy to make a poll..

Also what effect does the right hand thumb play in the golf swing if any.?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a long left thumb. I guess my right is long, I don't retract it at all and it's folded over to the front side of the shaft.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I use short thumbs, seems to make my wrists work more in sync.

Short thumb on the bottom hand too? Just curious.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

No, I'm a bit longer on the bottom hand, I had to grip a club just to verify.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

No, I'm a bit longer on the bottom hand, I had to grip a club just to verify.

Yeah I'm kinda guessing about my bottom hand too as I don't have a club handy and I don't really think about that thumb.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I've played around with using a short thumb on the top hand when I use short clubs (scoring irons and wedges) but have always relaxed the low hand thumb on the side of the grip. I still make the adjustment on occasions, but tend to just stay with my standard set up.

I did not like the short thumb idea on longer irons and woods, it seemed to cause to much grip pressure.

I see many players who want to press the low thumb into the grip, which I try to explain to them it will cause tension in their grip.

I think pressing the low thumb into the grip leads to a player to slice their shots.

I think players who use a strong grip will benefit with a short upper hand thumb.

Sometimes I will have a little soreness in my left thumb (top hand) which really plays havoc swinging the driver, and then pull the thumb in to protect it.

This past September, both thumbs have been tender along with soreness in my wrist.

Had to increase the Advil dose during this period of time, just to enable to manage the pain for playing.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I've played around with using a short thumb on the top hand when I use short clubs (scoring irons and wedges) but have always relaxed the low hand thumb on the side of the grip. I still make the adjustment on occasions, but tend to just stay with my standard set up.

I did not like the short thumb idea on longer irons and woods, it seemed to cause to much grip pressure.

I see many players who want to press the low thumb into the grip, which I try to explain to them it will cause tension in their grip.

I think pressing the low thumb into the grip leads to a player to slice their shots.

I think players who use a strong grip will benefit with a short upper hand thumb.

Sometimes I will have a little soreness in my left thumb (top hand) which really plays havoc swinging the driver, and then pull the thumb in to protect it.

This past September, both thumbs have been tender along with soreness in my wrist.

Had to increase the Advil dose during this period of time, just to enable to manage the pain for playing.

Club Rat

I have a fairly strong grip, and as I said, I use a long thumb on my left (top) hand. I find that using a short, or long thumb on my right (bottom) hand creates to much grip pressure/ tension on the club, so I started folding, if you will, my thumb to the side of the club, I do this no matter which club I use.

I use a long left thumb. My right thumb just rests at a neutral position where it is naturally, then I apply pressure on the club with it and my index finger. I have a tendency to break down the wrists at the top, so my grip might cause more tension for some people.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Well, this problem does not exist for me. I have short fat thumbs. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!