IGNORED

Should Divots Be Considered Ground Under Repair?

Foursum Golf

Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?

My question is who else hit a 406 yard drive to that spot. You'd think there would be less divots the further away you get from the average driving distance on that hole. :)

It’s so obvious that a divot is ground under repair. It’s unfit to play. Those in charge will take proactive steps to make sure it doesn’t stay this way, and forcing a golfer to play from that area compromises a major part of the game. The rule would be so simple, too:

I do think that if you take a very wet course and your ball ends up in a 1-1.5 inch deep divot in the fairway it's a tad ridiculous. The rules of golf are not going to specifically tell golfers to measure  divot. In most cases the ball is very much playable from a divot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back to the title question:  Yes.  My favorite RoG topic.  

;-)

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

15 hours ago, dkolo said:

BREAKING: Guy is playing Kapalua in January, hits a driver 400 yards and still complains

LMAO!  I'm trying to figure out how he got away with using his cell phone during a round?!?!  (Unless it was from Wednesday practice round and he was just complaining for the sake of complaining??)  Or, benefit of the doubt for the new guy ... he wasn't actually complaining at all, just trying to be funny, and the writer decided to go nuts with it because the writer has a beef with the rule, not Grillo.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

My question is who else hit a 406 yard drive to that spot. You'd think there would be less divots the further away you get from the average driving distance on that hole. :)

We've watched enough professional golf to this point to know that 406 yard drives occur almost exclusively at Kapalua and Firestone (#16 I think??) and the case is the same for both; a pretty severe downhill "chute" in the fairway that is basically feeding the balls all the same direction.

OR ...

it's also likely it's a divot from the 2nd or 3rd shot from one of the schmucks in the Pro-Am earlier that day or the previous day.:-P

8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

LMAO!  I'm trying to figure out how he got away with using his cell phone during a round?!?!  (Unless it was from Wednesday practice round and he was just complaining for the sake of complaining??)  

I went back, you posted that before play started yesterday, so it has to be from the practice round.  I remember from yesterday's telecast that on the 15th a number of guys were in the 380 to 400 yard range from the tee.  I'm sure its also possible on 17 or 18, those are both straight downhill.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

LMAO!  I'm trying to figure out how he got away with using his cell phone during a round?!?!  (Unless it was from Wednesday practice round and he was just complaining for the sake of complaining??)  Or, benefit of the doubt for the new guy ... he wasn't actually complaining at all, just trying to be funny, and the writer decided to go nuts with it because the writer has a beef with the rule, not Grillo.

We've watched enough professional golf to this point to know that 406 yard drives occur almost exclusively at Kapalua and Firestone (#16 I think??) and the case is the same for both; a pretty severe downhill "chute" in the fairway that is basically feeding the balls all the same direction.

OR ...

it's also likely it's a divot from the 2nd or 3rd shot from one of the schmucks in the Pro-Am earlier that day or the previous day.:-P

Right, it's a pretty good example of why the rule should stay as it is. He isn't complaining that the course let him hit a 400 yard drive because it's on the side of a friggen volcano and rolls forever. So don't complain about it landing in a rut afterwards. Breaks are good and bad.  These things happen. 

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Should divots be considered ground under repair?-No because they are usually loose impediments.

Divot holes should not be GUR either.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

Poll added. It should work…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted no ... although I'll say I'm not extremely adamant about it.  I totally agree with all of the arguments about good and bad breaks (heck, I've made a few of them in this thread) but I'll play devil's advocate a little here and say this:

I believe the PGA Tour justifies its liberal use of Lift, Clean and Place (which I know many here are opposed to as well, myself probably included, but that is another topic altogether) by arguing that it's too random and unfair for Player A and Player B to both hit quality drives and have one be doomed on his approach because of mud accumulated on his ball that didn't stick to the other.  They don't want a tournament decided on that type of luck.  At least that's what I assume is their reasoning.

If I'm right about that, couldn't the exact same argument apply to divot holes?

A counter argument to the above, I imagine, would be that when they play LCP, you would already be able to remove your ball from a divot hole, and conversely, when they don't play LCP, you can still get a bad break and have mud on your ball.

I would think this would become an issue with the PGA Tour only when they end up playing a prominent tournament at a course that has a hole that feeds all balls to such a small area that a large percentage of the guys are stuck hitting out of divot holes or something.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

I believe the PGA Tour justifies its liberal use of Lift, Clean and Place (which I know many here are opposed to as well, myself probably included, but that is another topic altogether) by arguing that it's too random and unfair for Player A and Player B to both hit quality drives and have one be doomed on his approach because of mud accumulated on his ball that didn't stick to the other.  They don't want a tournament decided on that type of luck.  At least that's what I assume is their reasoning.

FWIW, they do it because the players make them. The PGA, and USGA, for example are nowhere near as quick to do this, nor are they quick to do it at Augusta National. Or the British Open. And those are majors, where they'd really like to remove luck if possible, but they still don't.

They do it on the PGA Tour because it's a member-run organization and so the members (the players) tell their bosses they don't want to play with mud balls if they can avoid it.

You can't legislate luck to this degree, or, what: "Oh, sorry, your ball hit the flagstick and bounced into the water? No problem. Just put it back where it should have landed and putt from there, no penalty." No.

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

I would think this would become an issue with the PGA Tour only when they end up playing a prominent tournament at a course that has a hole that feeds all balls to such a small area that a large percentage of the guys are stuck hitting out of divot holes or something.

Which is why at majors they often have the orange plastic sheeting over such areas. Like behind #3 at Oakmont.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted yes, but only because I think hitting out a divot in the fairway is unfair. Call it GUR, or whatever you want; I just want them out of the divots. 

It's not a hill that I would die on, though. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I don't see the PGA Tour taking issue. They have no problem hitting out of them. It wouldn't be worth the hassle with the USGA and R&A.

6 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

I don't see the PGA Tour taking issue. They have no problem hitting out of them. It wouldn't be worth the hassle with the USGA and R&A.

Lots of power with impeccable club face positioning. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't legislate luck to this degree, or, what: "Oh, sorry, your ball hit the flagstick and bounced into the water? No problem. Just put it back where it should have landed and putt from there, no penalty." No.

No need to putt ... it would have gone in the hole for an eagle!!!:-P

Another reason I'm in the "no" camp is that I just don't see it as a problem.  It would be interesting to see a different poll that shows just how often people actually end up in divots.  I posted this below in November of 2014:

On 11/24/2014 at 9:54 AM, Golfingdad said:

That's fine, but remember two things:

1. There aren't that many competitions (that I know of) where people are competing against each other from different courses.
  2. Much more importantly, I play 95% of my rounds at public/muni courses, and I've had to play my ball out of a divot (sand-filled or otherwise) all of .... ZERO times this year.  It happens so rarely, that I actually remember the last time it happened.  It was last year sometime, and I hit a great shot onto the green - especially considering the circumstances - and made par.

And that very last part is not a trivial note either.  The satisfaction gained from successfully making that shot is something that stuck with me.  I enjoy challenges.  I hate hitting my ball into the trees, but if I'm able to scramble for par, that is much more satisfying than a 2-putt tap-in par.

I've played another 30 or so rounds since that post and the last time I remember having to hit out of a divot hole was still that same round back in 2013 ... and I STILL remember the shot.

And I still play mostly public courses, many of which are not very nice munis.  How often do other people really find themselves stuck in a divot hole?

• Administrator
Just now, Golfingdad said:

I've played another 30 or so rounds since that post and the last time I remember having to hit out of a divot hole was still that same round back in 2013 ... and I STILL remember the shot.

And I still play mostly public courses, many of which are not very nice munis.  How often do other people really find themselves stuck in a divot hole?

Exactly.

If you're playing a course where you hit into a divot hole once a round, that's probably one of the least of your worries.

I voted no. It's part of the game. Plus who gets to make the call? Is it a divot on some other natural defect in the grass?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I voted no. It's part of the game. Plus who gets to make the call? Is it a divot on some other natural defect in the grass?

I call those "ruts", and we have lots of them because they use our fairways as parking lots during football season, and, yes, I find at least one or two of them every round. . .part of the game. Makes going to nice courses "nicer". . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano