IGNORED

Should Divots Be Considered Ground Under Repair?

Foursum Golf

Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

You must have steadier hands than I do. 200.gif

407B2974-2DBD-4C4D-A633-9733BB4A59B1.gif

But this is my shooting hand!

I’ve encountered some weird lies this year. Today, my ball was on a stick. I had to punch it out of some pine straw and took a chance with a 5 iron. It went pretty well, about 30 yards. Best thing is I made the up and down from 110.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

My opinion, you should NOT have to hit out of a divot "if" your ball is clearly and undeniably in the fairway.  Why should anyone be penalized for being in the fairway?  I would consider it a penalty due to part of the ball  sitting in a depression created by another golfer.   The argument can be very subjective but I think this is one of the most archaic rules in golf.  If you can play ball in hand all day due to wet conditions then you should not be forced to play your ball from a divot.   

• Administrator
1 hour ago, TL308 said:

My opinion, you should NOT have to hit out of a divot "if" your ball is clearly and undeniably in the fairway.  Why should anyone be penalized for being in the fairway?  I would consider it a penalty due to part of the ball  sitting in a depression created by another golfer.   The argument can be very subjective but I think this is one of the most archaic rules in golf.  If you can play ball in hand all day due to wet conditions then you should not be forced to play your ball from a divot.   

Did you read any of the previous pages?

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you read any of the previous pages?

Not every single one.  I read the first couple pages where people stated the rule should not be changed so I was just stating my opinion.

3 hours ago, TL308 said:

Why should anyone be penalized for being in the fairway? 

When you slice your drive out to the trees and it hits one and bounces back into the fairway…should you go place it back in the woods?

Just now, Vinsk said:

When you slice your drive out to the trees and it hits one and bounces back into the fairway…should you go place it back in the woods?

No, you only should get relief from bad luck, not good luck.

/s

• Administrator
1 hour ago, TL308 said:

Not every single one.  I read the first couple pages where people stated the rule should not be changed so I was just stating my opinion.

Your response was replied to many many times.

I remember seeing a pro (too long ago for my feeble brain to remember who, when, where, or why) was in some kind of contest and intentionally placed his ball in the previous golfers divot. My take-away on it was that he actually preferred the lie.  I just always have thought "Play the ball where it lies" was the rule.  Unless local rules have specific exceptions. 🙂

7 minutes ago, metbid said:

I remember seeing a pro (too long ago for my feeble brain to remember who, when, where, or why) was in some kind of contest and intentionally placed his ball in the previous golfers divot. My take-away on it was that he actually preferred the lie.  I just always have thought "Play the ball where it lies" was the rule.  Unless local rules have specific exceptions. 🙂

Play the ball as it lies is the rule----------unless its a very wet course and you can lift, clean, and place.  Or if your ball comes to rest in an area considered ground under repair and you get a free drop, etc.  I respect the rule.  I just disagree with it.  

1 hour ago, TL308 said:

Play the ball as it lies is the rule----------unless its a very wet course and you can lift, clean, and place.  Or if your ball comes to rest in an area considered ground under repair and you get a free drop, etc.  I respect the rule.  I just disagree with it.  

Even with LCP the ball would be returned to the divot, would it not?

33 minutes ago, StuM said:

Rule 14.1 seems to indicate this.  Multiple courses I have caddied at or was a member of designate it as within 6 inches.  Over the winter when my home course is frequently under water you are allowed within one club length as long as you don’t change the conditions (moving from rough to fairway).

1 hour ago, StuM said:

43 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Rule 14.1 seems to indicate this.  Multiple courses I have caddied at or was a member of designate it as within 6 inches.  Over the winter when my home course is frequently under water you are allowed within one club length as long as you don’t change the conditions (moving from rough to fairway).

This is most commonly handled using some form of Model Local Rule E-3, which suggests defining a Relief Area in which to place the ball.  Also note that E-3 specifies placing the ball in the General Area, no problem moving from rough to fairway.

On 3/15/2021 at 6:50 PM, Billy Z said:

No, I don't think I have changed my mind, I would like to see a rules changed. In a forum, you have a unique selection of golfers, not necessarily a good sample of all who play the game. In a forum you have folks who change their putter on a weekly basis as opposed to golfers who use one putter for many years. In other words, people in here get very picky about varying aspects and rules of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if a poll were taken that would reflect 'all golfers' opinions, that showed more of an interest to change the rule then not. The reference to embedded was just a bit of tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, I will go out on a limb and say the majority of golfers think the rule should be changed. Just for further conversation, I do think some flight paths are more conducive to plugging.

You have got to be joking, right.  Divots are part of the course and you play it as you find it.  Plugged balls and casual water are not normal parts of the course and that is why you get relief for it.

Your poll will wind with a huge number of players saying exactly this

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

You have got to be joking, right.  Divots are part of the course and you play it as you find it.  Plugged balls and casual water are not normal parts of the course and that is why you get relief for it.

Your poll will wind with a huge number of players saying exactly this

You replied to a now-banned member from a post in March. 🙂

Many others said the same thing back in March.

• Funny 1