IGNORED

Should Divots Be Considered Ground Under Repair?

Foursum Golf

Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, it isn’t.

Not always.

You have not done this yet.

It is not an opinion, and is not a matter of debate.

Please define when a replacedΒ divot is β€œreattached,” or how much of a divot needs to be replaced and reattached… etc. etc.

How much sand? How filled in? What if a fresh divot is taken, filled with sand, and rain washes it out?

In other words: you’ve completely failed here.

This is why I didn't offer a definition in the first place, according to what you said, literally nothing was right about it, or acceptable, or probably never could be.Β  Strange, that's how I have felt often times, and that has influenced some of my posts. As far as divots are concerned, 42% want aΒ rule added to get relief from them, so we are on to something.Β 

In other words: you’ve completely failed here. Thanks for appreciating my response!

Thomas Gralinski,Β 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

As far as divots are concerned, 42% want aΒ rule added to get relief from them, so we are on to something.

It’s beyond tiring to keep responding to the same stupid shit time and time again.

Once again, in order to allow relief from a divot hole in a fairway, you’d have to clear two hurdles:

• You’d have to get around the Principle discussed several times.
  • You’d have to be able to clearly define β€œdivot hole.”

You can’t do the latter, let alone the former.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, Billy Z said:
27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Β 

This is why I didn't offer a definition in the first place, according to what you said, literally nothing was right about it, or acceptable, or probably never could be.Β 

What do you care? Just give us a damn definition. Enlighten us.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

You’re discussing things here, are you not?

48 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

This entire thread is based on whether users SUPPORTΒ a proposed rules change that PGA, LPGA, and many respondents to the USGA/R&A have fully supported (check out the recent posts!).

We’ve stipulated that many golfers would want to see the rule. That doesn’t mean that:

• Such a rule follows the Principles of the Rules of Golf.
  • Such a rule is even possible to write without basically just allowing lift, clean, and place or lift, clean, and drop in the fairway at all times.

Thank you for allowing me to continue to discuss things here.Β  Sooner or later new rules will not follow the "Principles of the Rules of Golf", aka, play the ball as it lies.Β  The rules will evolve, whether you or I strenuously object or not (I was a golf rule fanatic in the 90's and knew the rules inside/out for stroke/medal/match play).Β  And much to OUR dismay, this may ultimately result in a rule that allows Lift, Clean, and Drop in the fairway at all times, like they regularly use for junior events (at least at my course).

43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I already did, but I guess you weren't paying attention.

Thomas Gralinski,Β 2458080

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

It’s not going to be a β€œpretty darn good one.” It’d be a terrible rule, applied nowhere near uniformly/consistently, and rife with abuse by players who will find any little imperfection and claim that it’s an old divot hole not fully restored. It would slow play, cause altercations, etc.

AND, once again, goes against one of the most basic Principles behind the Rules of Golf.

I think it's at leastΒ as "pretty darn good" as the other rules that allow for a player not being ableΒ to be sure or "know." Why is this one worse? If players abuse the rule, they aren't abiding by the spirt of the rules. If you include the ball not being on grass in your definition, that's pretty hard to abuse.Β If they aren't virtually certain (or whatever certainty you want to assign) then they're cheating. If we're going to ban cheaters from golf courses, at least I'll finally be able to get whatever tee time I want.Β 

As to slow play, it has been pointed out many times in this thread how rareΒ a ball ending up in a divot in the fairway is. That tracks with my experience. It seems to me that that aloneΒ would minimize the effect on pace of play. Further, a better lie makes it less likely a crappy golferΒ will hit a 30 yard worm-burner requiringΒ two shots for what should have been one. That seems like improved pace of play.Β Any altercations would be no more than any other rule over which two competitors disagree as to application. I disagree that a divot relief rule would beΒ any more frought with peril than the embedded ball rule or the way we determine where to take a drop from a lateral hazzard (red penalty area - whatever) from a long distance away. I alsoΒ think its a weak justification to not have a rule because people are going to fight over it.

I see and at least in part agree with your point about divot relief being counter to the principle of playing the course as you find it. That argument makesΒ sense, though I think the embedded ball rule, for one, provides precedent for disregarding the principle when the powers that be so desire. That does not mean they should disregard it lightly though, which I think is (mostly) your point.

For the record, I don't actually mind the rules requiring us to hit out of divots. I'd rather not and lean towards the change,Β but I don't feel strongly about it. I'm OK with the tradition and the need to deal with adversity even after hitting a (usually) good, or at least well aimed, shot; I can see that it adds something to the game.Β Thems the breaks, as they say. But,Β I think many hereΒ overstate the the strength of the case against change. Β Β Β 

39 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Why should @Billy ZΒ have to define anything?Β  He is advocating for a position that is supported by a multitude of professional and amateur golfers (yeah, go ahead and question that despite all of the previous posts).Β  Why don't YOU, @Vinsk give us a definition of what is NOT a divot???Β  There are so many of you that are so smug claiming that we need to convince you to change the rules; how about you trying to convince us (and a plurality of ALL golfers) on why we shouldn't change the rules!

1 minute ago, HoganApexFan said:

we

Not why "we" shouldn't change the rules, but why the "USGA/R&A" shouldn't change the rules.

Β 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

Why should @Billy ZΒ have to define anything?Β  He is advocating for a position that is supported by a multitude of professional and amateur golfers (yeah, go ahead and question that despite all of the previous posts).Β  Why don't YOU, @Vinsk give us a definition of what is NOT a divot???Β  There are so many of you that are so smug claiming that we need to convince you to change the rules; how about you trying to convince us (and a plurality of ALL golfers) on why we shouldn't change the rules!

JustΒ because some people feel like you should be rewarded with a perfect lie in the fairway doesn't mean they are right in a number of ways.Β 

1. Can you actually create a rule that can be self enforced and not ambiguous to be abused?

2. Not all golf courses are pristine and bad lies can happen in a fairway, why should divots count differently? Isn't poor maintenance of a course just man made similar to a divot if you reduce it down to who takes care of the course.

3. If the logic is based on rewarding good drives, because it is a bad break to end up in a divot. Why should we benefit from a good break in golf?Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

9 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

There are so many of you that are so smug claiming that we need to convince you to change the rules.........

Not why "we" shouldn't change the rules, but why the "USGA/R&A" shouldn't change the rules.

Β 

Because Β no-one can define "divot" in such a way Β that would encompass all situations and all golfers in all conditions on all courses in an unambiguous fashion, pleasing all golfers all of the time. Easy.

Β 

Oh.....and just to be super smug...... because no real golfer thinks that being in a divot is an outrageously unjust predicament in which to find oneself.

They just don't like it and even get pi**ed off by it.Β 

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Because Β no-one can define "divot" in such a way Β that would encompass all situations and all golfers in all conditions on all courses in an unambiguous fashion, pleasing all golfers all of the time. Easy.

Edited just now by Shorty

Shorty, You so funny!Β  I edited my post to change the "we" to "USGA/R&A".Β  Β If you really think they can't define "divot" then maybe they shouldn't be able to write the Rules of Golf!

8 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

Β If you really think they can't define "divot" then maybe they shouldn't be able to write the Rules of Golf!

But this is the whole point!!!!!!! They can't! And........beside the point.......don't need to because divots are part of golf.

It's hard enough for a lot of golfers to define a wheel track or casual water or even point of entry consistently - and these rules should be easy to navigate.

I want to call a shitty lie a partially but not full recovered divot. I swear that I believe it to be true. Are we going to get along when you think you know for sure that I'm exaggerating? Of course we all think we know what a real divot is. That's not the same asΒ incorporating a definition into rules which are open to interpretation - for whatever reason and despite the intent, honourable or otherwise of the player - and have to be administered in the favour of the player.

Edited by Shorty

Β 

Β 

26 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

@Vinsk give us a definition of what is NOT a divot???Β 

First ...it’s divot hole. Second, here’s the simple definition you requested:

Any divot hole that wasn’t made by a golf club. And that could be.....pretty long list. Therein lies the problem.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Any divot hole that wasn’t made by a golf club. And that could be.....pretty long list. Therein lies the problem.

LOL!Β  Have you paid the least bit of attention to your compatriots who relentlessly attacked these loose definitions?Β  LOL*10!Β  You can't define a "divot hole" by declaring that it's a "divot hole" that wasn't made by a golf club. Maybe you should check out @Billy ZΒ to figure out how to define things that the USGA can't...But then again, that's not our job!!!Β  Let the USGA do it!!!

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I like the direction we're going in. I'm going to call my sh*t lie a hole made by a burrowing animal if you don't give me relief. :-)Β Rules are easy to write!

Β 

BB15bF89.img.jpeg

Β 

Β 

As the USGA/R&A have said:

A fundamental challenge of the sport is to deal with whatever position your ball comes to rest in – whether good or bad. While there are some necessary exceptions (such as obstructions and other abnormal course conditions), the essential nature of golf means these must remain exceptions rather than the norm. Therefore, the new Rules do not provide relief without penalty from situations that some golfers complain about, such as when their ball comes to rest in a divot hole on a fairway or in footprints in a poorly raked bunker. In addition to being contrary to the fundamental principle of playing the ball as it lies, providing free relief in such circumstances would make the Rules harder to apply (for example, what is the difference between an irregularity of surface and an old divot hole?) and would slow down play.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, HoganApexFan said:

Thank you for allowing me to continue to discuss things here.Β  Sooner or later new rules will not follow the "Principles of the Rules of Golf", aka, play the ball as it lies.Β  The rules will evolve, whether you or I strenuously object or not (I was a golf rule fanatic in the 90's and knew the rules inside/out for stroke/medal/match play).Β  And much to OUR dismay, this may ultimately result in a rule that allows Lift, Clean, and Drop in the fairway at all times, like they regularly use for junior events (at least at my course).

But why would we not want to follow theΒ Principles of the Rules of Golf?Β I see no reason. To deviate from the principles because some people don’t like when their ball lands in a divot hole once every 30 rounds.Β 

Lift, clean and place is usually only applied when balls are also plugging due to excessive water.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Sooner or later new rules will not follow the "Principles of the Rules of Golf", aka, play the ball as it lies.

Once again, I'll express my frustration in trying to discuss the Rules of Golf with peopleΒ Β who do not understand the Rules of Golf.

And by "discussing the Rules of Golf" in this sense, I don't mean to educate, answer questions, etc. I mean to discuss in an oppositional way why something is the way it is, why it will remain roughly that way, etc.

NO, the "new rules will not follow the Principles of the Rules of Golf." You're literally discussing that which you are ignorant of.

The rules will evolve, whether you or I strenuously object or not (I was a golf rule fanatic in the 90's and knew the rules inside/out for stroke/medal/match play).

I doubt that.

And much to OUR dismay, this may ultimately result in a rule that allows Lift, Clean, and Drop in the fairway at all times, like they regularly use for junior events (at least at my course).

"Your" course should improve the conditions if LCP is needed that often. Those juniors should learn to play the ball as it lies.

7 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I already did, but I guess you weren't paying attention.

You did not provide a definition that passes even a few seconds of examination.

7 hours ago, m052310 said:

I think it's at leastΒ as "pretty darn good" as the other rules that allow for a player not being ableΒ to be sure or "know."

See above. Two bullet points.

If players abuse the rule, they aren't abiding by the spirt of the rules.

There's no such thing as "the spirit of the rules." The Rules are the Rules.

There's the "spirit of the game," but that includes… following the Rules. And so if the Rules allowed relief from a "divot hole," then following it would be within the spirit of the game.

Here's a good (well, at least decent) read for many of you here:

cropped-rgfavicon.png?fit=240%2C240&ssl=

I apologize for the length of this post. If I had more time I’d have written a shorter one. – Erik J. Barzeski β€œThat Haotong Li penalty was an outrage! He didn’t gain an adv…

@Billy Z, @HoganApexFan, and others, there's your reading assignment.

If they aren't virtually certain

Once again more into the breach…

… if you can't define a divot hole in a way that's universally and consistently applied, nobody is virtually certain. If 30 people think something isn't a divot hole, and 40 people do…

We play golf on surfaces that are not perfect. Even Augusta National, you mayΒ be surprised to learn, has imperfections everywhere when you're standing on it and not just looking at it from a TV camera 200 yards away (albeit zoomed in a bit).

As to slow play, it has been pointed out many times in this thread how rareΒ a ball ending up in a divot in the fairway is.

Because you don't get relief right now.

If you got relief, "divot holes" would begin appearingΒ everywhere.Β See the above about how we play on an imperfect surface.

Any altercations would be no more than any other rule over which two competitors disagree as to application.

Then write the definition.

You're now in the same bucket as @Billy Z, and you must overcomeΒ the first hurdle, because the rest of your argument is bogus. You have no idea what the pace of play implications are until you write the rule. And writingΒ the rule starts with the definition.

So have at it.

That argument makesΒ sense, though I think the embedded ball rule, for one, provides precedent for disregarding the principle when the powers that be so desire.

It does not. Please read about the embedded ball stuff IN the Principles booklet.

Why should @Billy ZΒ have to define anything?

I've answered THIS question now several times.

He is advocating for a position that is supported by a multitude of professional and amateur golfers (yeah, go ahead and question that despite all of the previous posts).

OMFG.Β I've literally stipulated to the fact that many, many golfers want this to be changed.

It's frustrating to discuss this topic with people:

• Who don't actually read what's written back to them.
  • Who don't understand the Rules of Golf.

You're now, with @Billy Z, inΒ bothΒ categories.

Popularity has almostΒ nothingΒ to do with justifying changing a Rule. The Rules of Golf are not decided by popular vote.

Why don't YOU, @Vinsk give us a definition of what is NOT a divot???

Please read this:Β https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/mention-members/.

And the entire point is that when a divot HOLE ceases to be a divot HOLE is ambiguous. If I could define what is "not" a divot hole, then I could define what IS a divot hole.

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

There are so many of you that are so smug

Nope, here's where you're reading something into this text that simply, 100%, isn't there.

how about you trying to convince us (and a plurality of ALL golfers) on why we shouldn't change the rules!

You cannot reason people out of something they were not reasoned into.

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

1. Can you actually create a rule that can be self enforced and not ambiguous to be abused?

No, hell, they can't even create a definition.

2. Not all golf courses are pristine and bad lies can happen in a fairway, why should divots count differently? Isn't poor maintenance of a course just man made similar to a divot if you reduce it down to who takes care of the course.

First divots, then brown spots. Or little bare spots. Or a patch of clover in the fairway. Or an oil streak from a mower on the green.

3. If the logic is based on rewarding good drives, because it is a bad break to end up in a divot. Why should we benefit from a good break in golf?

Oh they don't want to hear about logical arguments, Matt!

7 hours ago, Shorty said:

Oh.....and just to be super smug...... because no real golfer thinks that being in a divot is an outrageously unjust predicament in which to find oneself.

Khloe Kardashian Winner GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions

Shorty, You so funny!Β  I edited my post to change the "we" to "USGA/R&A".Β  Β If you really think they can't define "divot" then maybe they shouldn't be able to write the Rules of Golf!

face palm GIF

3 hours ago, Rulesman said:

As the USGA/R&A have said:

A fundamental challenge of the sport is to deal with whatever position your ball comes to rest in – whether good or bad. While there are some necessary exceptions (such as obstructions and other abnormal course conditions), the essential nature of golf means these must remain exceptions rather than the norm. Therefore, the new Rules do not provide relief without penalty from situations that some golfers complain about, such as when their ball comes to rest in a divot hole on a fairway or in footprints in a poorly raked bunker. In addition to being contrary to the fundamental principle of playing the ball as it lies, providing free relief in such circumstances would make the Rules harder to apply (for example, what is the difference between an irregularity of surface and an old divot hole?) and would slow down play.

@Rulesman, you will find that those arguing hereΒ will once again just skip or gloss over or, frankly, misunderstandΒ the inconvenient truth of your post, but I appreciate the effort.

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

But why would we not want to follow theΒ Principles of the Rules of Golf?Β I see no reason. To deviate from the principles because some people don’t like when their ball lands in a divot hole once every 30 rounds.Β 

Lift, clean and place is usually only applied when balls are also plugging due to excessive water.

I'm not sure it's even once every 30 rounds, I played over 125 rounds last year and I remember it happening once.Β Β Β Β 

The only way to have everyone play by the same rule would be to make the entire fairway, a lift, clean, and drop on all shots from the fairway, like we do after aeration occurs or lots of rain. That would be the only way to take out theΒ ambiguity of what is and isn't a divot hole, but then that just doesn't seem like golf anymore.Β Β 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones