IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note:Β This thread is 1525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

131.6 ball speed with 99.6 clubhead speed? Smash of 1.32?

That's not very good. No wonder you're not hitting it very far - you're probably glancing acrossΒ the ball like crazy.

Who knows? They feel solid enough and the ball goes far enough. No idea why they show up so low a SM? How much does using old and soaked range balls affect SF?

Totally possible that the Mevo, Trackman and XL are all measuring my SS too high?

Could be my swing too? Maybe flipping or whatever? New driver...Not used to it yet?

Any or all of the above?

Β 

2 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Yes...if I had a 100 mph SS....I'd expect around 240 carry and ball speed around 144-145 on well struck shots...especially if it was a properly fitted driver.

Yeah, that’s about what I do at 700Β feet elevation with a regularΒ golf ball, but, truthfully, I just started using a driver again. My typical drive is from 240-270 total distance these days depending upon how well I strike and how much spin... my PW flies about 122 based upon my approach using ARCOS and typically stops within a couple to a few yards...if I hit the green :-D

Β 

All good questions, and definitely looking to improve things :-)

Β 

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Who knows? They feel solid enough and the ball goes far enough.

No it doesn’t.

It had your ball going 200.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

No it doesn’t.

It had your ball going 200.

True... and that shot was around 4000Β rpm... definitely mishit...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

C3F1F5CC-8FAF-48C4-974F-2FA987D76B9C.thumb.png.6e7d9c1b32c8ee4921862bcb70de7bd0.png

This is one of three drivers hit a couple days later, two were mishit? Looks a lot better, but it was a middle strike. Pretty much as good as I could hit it. Seemed to carry the 240 yard flag. My range buddy told me he saw it fly that hill... not sure because I couldn’t see from my angle.

I should say not mishit, but had low SF...

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Come to think of it, my Mevo has never reportedΒ SF very well. Just attributed it to the unit? My SS on Trackman and my friend’s XL reads a couple to a few percent higher than on my Mevo...and my typical SF is a lot higher 1.47Β with driver with a few at 1.49. Ball speeds a lot higher too.

Here’s some readings from an ex-proΒ LD friend. Said he was striking as solid as he could. He said his normal SS is 133...

DA5F0B1D-83DD-4A88-8D1B-4E955784A2AF.thumb.png.485d01481dd045926a10d7ea5b18cb0c.png

That last drive was mine... wasΒ swinging much faster than I normally would... :-D

I use my Mevo more for training anyway. All the readings are very self consistent, so I never use absolutes with it. For instance 120mph SS on a driver and 102 with a 6iΒ will read 125 and 106 on Trackman for my son and I’ll read 100/89 On Mevo and 104/92 on Trackman.

Never seen SF numbers above 1.4 off my Mevo though. I consider 1.38Β my 1.5 with range ballsΒ :-)

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

The Mevo gets ball speed right. If your smash is off it’s your club head speed it’s getting wrong.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

The Mevo gets ball speed right. If your smash is off it’s your club head speed it’s getting wrong.

So does Mevo also measure SF & club head speed?

I believe some 'cheaper' devices only measure ball speed and not SF & club head speed.

I believe many Golftown's here use GC Quad??? and my friend's Skytrak ...and both only measure ball speed and use a fixed SF....therefore a club head speed is derived from the previous 2 variables.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I’ve heard this, but itsΒ still perplexing given the radar signal from a club head is like 20 times larger than the ball. 🧐

Very strange.

Β 

58 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

I believe some 'cheaper' devices only measure ball speed and not SF & club head speed.

I believe many Golftown's here use GC Quad??? and my friend's Skytrak ...and both only measure ball speed and use a fixed SF....therefore a club head speed is derived from the previous 2 variables.

Radar can measure both directly. Given they’re Doppler sensors, the processing is probably time domain and they might use machine learning to calculate velocity at impact?

Who knows? But I never really pay attention to the absolute numbers. Just use it as a gauge. I’m on a physical range with rangefinders and a light prevailing windΒ into my face. There’s an opposing driving range with that same wind at your back and you’re β€œrestricted” to 260 carry clubs...The targets are all measured within a yard. So, it’s really easy to seeΒ exactly hit far a ball goes, and there are plenty of OCD players who watch howΒ far everyone else hits then report itΒ ... πŸ˜‚

Not tooΒ worried about my absolute SF so much as what it means to my impact. The best SF my world class ball striker friend got on my Mevo was like 1.38. On the XL two stalls over we were getting higherΒ club head speeds and higher SF consistent with the distances we seem to be hitting.

That all said, ifΒ I’m dropping 0.1 from one club versus another I’m going with the higher one for a better fit and my peak best would be β€œcalibrated” at 1.38 :-)

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mr22putt said:

It measures ball speed and clubhead speed.

It doesn't "measure" smash factor, that's a calculation: dividing the two from the first sentence.

Mevo measures both.

I believe the SkyTrak can measure clubhead speed. I've gotten some weird smash factors on the SkyTrak occasionally (mostly with wedges), but most of them seem to be okay. It's a camera system, though, so it could read clubhead speed… but actually, if I think about it more, I think it just measures ball speed and uses an algorithm to sort of back into smash factor and clubhead speed.

I doubt that others use a fixed SF. The smash factor on a wedge is not going to be anywhere near 1.45-1.50 like it can be with a driver. A fixed SF would make no sense. (I'll assume you meant a fixed SF given the club choice you select.)

51 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Radar can measure both directly. Given they’re Doppler sensors, the processing is probably time domain and they might use machine learning to calculate velocity at impact?

They don't need to use ML to determine velocity at impact.

2 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Β 

6 hours ago, Lihu said:

Come to think of it, my Mevo has never reportedΒ SF very well. Just attributed it to the unit? My SS on Trackman and my friend’s XL reads a couple to a few percent higher than on my Mevo...and my typical SF is a lot higher 1.47Β with driver with a few at 1.49. Ball speeds a lot higher too.

Here’s some readings from an ex-proΒ LD friend. Said he was striking as solid as he could. He said his normal SS is 133...

DA5F0B1D-83DD-4A88-8D1B-4E955784A2AF.thumb.png.485d01481dd045926a10d7ea5b18cb0c.png

That last drive was mine... wasΒ swinging much faster than I normally would... :-D

I use my Mevo more for training anyway. All the readings are very self consistent, so I never use absolutes with it. For instance 120mph SS on a driver and 102 with a 6iΒ will read 125 and 106 on Trackman for my son and I’ll read 100/89 On Mevo and 104/92 on Trackman.

Never seen SF numbers above 1.4 off my Mevo though. I consider 1.38Β my 1.5 with range ballsΒ :-)

Personally, I think the only numbers you need are the ball numbers that the GC2 (no hmt) provides.Β  Ball speed, launch angle, start line, draw/fade, backspin, and carry.Β  I don't know much about the mevo, but if it provides those, then that's great.Β  I wouldn't worry about smash, just use ballspeed and pay attention to your strike location.Β  You can deduce a lot just from the ball data, especially if you use your phone camera in coordination with it.Β  I personally stay away from cameras; I prefer to feel the swing and not care about seeing my swing so much.Β  I'll update my own swing thread soon though.Β Β 

Your friend has really good ball speed.Β  I'm very jealous haha.Β 

31 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Β 

Personally, I think the only numbers you need are the ball numbers that the GC2 (no hmt) provides.Β  Ball speed, launch angle, start line, draw/fade, backspin, and carry.Β  I don't know much about the mevo, but if it provides those, then that's great.Β  I wouldn't worry about smash, just use ballspeed and pay attention to your strike location.Β  You can deduce a lot just from the ball data, especially if you use your phone camera in coordination with it.Β  I personally stay away from cameras; I prefer to feel the swing and not care about seeing my swing so much.Β  I'll update my own swing thread soon though.Β Β 

Your friend has really good ball speed.Β  I'm very jealous haha.Β 

His whole world was smash factor when he was in Canadian Long Drive πŸ˜‚
Β 

Was a minor league pitcher out of college...

Yeah, there’s so much going on I’d guess some measurements are going to be off.

Overall, I still like my Mevo and use it quite a bit. Just not for SF nor ball speed especially when the balls are wet...

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Overall, I still like my Mevo and use it quite a bit. Just not for SF nor ball speed especially when the balls are wet...

The Mevo is very accurate at measuring ball speed.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Mevo is very accurate at measuring ball speed.

Possibly, but IDK...Β My average these last couple days is about 139-142 with pre-soakedΒ range ballsΒ when my spin is down. When my spin is up there’s no doubt that I’m really glancing off the face.

Next time I’m on the range or whenever I can do it right, I’ll take a contiguous set of 10 readings to record my progress with this new driver. I want to get those high spin ones out before attempting that again so I can have a nice before and after set of readings.

My new driver is starting to hitΒ great thanks to Mevo helping me temperΒ down spin and launch. Only Mevo can tell me those numbers. Watching ball flight without a LM is so passΓ©.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Correction range is not 139 to 142 on 2900rpm or less shots.

138-140 average 2800rpm...

Β 

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Yeah, good shot... bad is still spinning over 4000 but super straight.

Β 

3C6EEB6A-3BB1-475D-9F8E-A0BF7E480DDD.thumb.png.a1b1f34c2c2c30690d03a152352296ec.png

Working on it...Β 

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5321FBF2-DF93-4DB9-BCEF-5F48AE2EE1A7.thumb.png.dfedef8a6542bf2b2264e92f319e5287.png

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So my range is about 137.2 to 141.5

On the under 2900rpm hits that is...

Got one up to 5500 1.26 SF πŸ˜‚

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Pretty horrible today...5 decent and 1 horrible 1.25 SF 5000rpm.

945A0AA2-CCA4-4280-8A3E-8EBA1372841B.thumb.png.a64e1b2db80b3c086ba995d3c88cb705.png39BB24C4-DB44-414B-935E-B958DEC6AC05.thumb.png.a327cb3594fe0a731f50f75635daffe0.png
Β 

I might look at the shaft... PX5.5 might flex too much? I seem to be ballooning.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note:Β This thread is 1525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!