IGNORED

Have you played any of these 25 unconventional golf courses?

Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The other thread got me thinking about unique and unconventional golf courses out there. Have any of you played courses on this list?

25. Bay Harbor Golf Club (Quarry)

24. Chambers Bay

23. Whistling Straits

22. Shadow Creek Golf Club

21. El Camaleón at the Fairmont Mayakoba

20. Streamsong (Blue and Red)

19. Old Works Golf Club

18. Fossil Trace Golf Club

17. Coeur D'Alene

16. Le Touessrok Golf Course

15. La Jenny Resort Course

14. Furnace Creek Golf Course

13. Royal Colombo Golf Club

12. Palmetto Hall Plantation (Robert Cupp Course)

11. Brickyard Crossing

10. Don Mueang International Airport Golf Course

9. Prison View Golf Club

8. The Opal Fields Golf Club

7. Nullarbor Links

6. Himalayan Golf Club

5. Firestone Overseas Golf Club

4. Merapi Golf Course

3. Uummannaq Greenland

2. Camp Bonifas

1. Extreme 19th at Legend Golf & Safari Resort

Why they're ranked this way and pictures found here: http://four.sm/HORgrs

Will W

I've played El Camelon.  The most beautiful place I've ever played.

And after hitting a perfect drive on 1, I topped my approach shot into that cavern shown in the picture.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only clicked on the thread to see all of the goofy courses.  Did not expect to see one that I have played, however, I enjoyed #19 back in June.  Here are some pictures ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/56097/share-your-personal-course-pictures/180_30#post_855180

I've played El Camelon.  The most beautiful place I've ever played.

And after hitting a perfect drive on 1, I topped my approach shot into that cavern shown in the picture.

Great pics!

Will W

I only clicked on the thread to see all of the goofy courses.  Did not expect to see one that I have played, however, I enjoyed #19 back in June.  Here are some pictures ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/56097/share-your-personal-course-pictures/180_30#post_855180

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great track!

Will W

#18, Fossil Trace in Golden, Colorado, and #19, Old Works in Anaconda, Montana.

Fossil Trace 10th hole:

4th hole at The Old Works:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Thanks for sharing Rick. Looks like there is lots of trouble at Old Works!

Old Works is a Nicklaus design, built on the dump piles from a 19th century silver ore processing plant.  It's an EPA fund site, and they use the black slag from the refinery for bunker sand.  It was built so that all of the water used on the course filters down to the lowest end, then is recycled before being reused or released to the river.  It's a fun course to play, over 7700 yards from the tips, and still 6700 from the mid tees.

Rick

Old Works is a Nicklaus design, built on the dump piles from a 19th century silver ore processing plant.  It's an EPA fund site, and they use the black slag from the refinery for bunker sand.  It was built so that all of the water used on the course filters down to the lowest end, then is recycled before being reused or released to the river.  It's a fun course to play, over 7700 yards from the tips, and still 6700 from the mid tees.

Copper smelting. ;-) I wanted to be real nit-picky and point out that the article ( http://four.sm/HORgrs) says its built on the old Anaconda Copper Mine, but that mine is over in Butte (hehehe) and its the smelting plant that was in Anaconda underneath the course.  But I decided against it ... and then I went ahead and wrote it here anyways.  Those people that always have to know stuff and always have to be right ... they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying!! :doh:

P.S.  I loved those bunkers ... so easy to hit out of, and didn't ruin your shoes like they looked like they might. ;)

-------------------------------------------------

So ... who's played Coeur D'Alene???  The article claims that the green could be pushed back to 218 yards!!!  WTF?!?!?  That would be diabolical!!!!

Copper smelting.   I wanted to be real nit-picky and point out that the article (http://four.sm/HORgrs) says its built on the old Anaconda Copper Mine, but that mine is over in Butte (hehehe) and its the smelting plant that was in Anaconda underneath the course.  But I decided against it ... and then I went ahead and wrote it here anyways.  Those people that always have to know stuff and always have to be right ... they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying!!

P.S.  I loved those bunkers ... so easy to hit out of, and didn't ruin your shoes like they looked like they might. ;)

-------------------------------------------------

So ... who's played Coeur D'Alene???  The article claims that the green could be pushed back to 218 yards!!!  WTF?!?!?  That would be diabolical!!!!

It's posts like this that will make us get better. I appreciate the feedback!

Will W

The most unconventional things I've seen on a course were the Micky Mouse bunkers at the Disney courses. Not exactly floating green level stuff though. ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

At my home course, one hole has a huge oak tree that sits right in the middle of the fairway at around 230 yards from the blue tees.  Not a big problem for me but the bigger hitters in the club have threatened to cut it down numerous times.

Joe Paradiso

Rick, is that you playing in sandals?  Where do you think you are, on the Bahamas Beach?  This is golf man!  Gotta dress the part/

Yep.  That's me.  I've had actual shoes on for about 3 weeks out of the last year and a half.  Even before moving down here I still wore them all summer in Colorado, and even as much of the fall and spring as I could, snow cover permitting.  My toes like to breathe. :smartass:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Old Works is a Nicklaus design, built on the dump piles from a 19th century silver ore processing plant.  It's an EPA fund site, and they use the black slag from the refinery for bunker sand.  It was built so that all of the water used on the course filters down to the lowest end, then is recycled before being reused or released to the river.  It's a fun course to play, over 7700 yards from the tips, and still 6700 from the mid tees.

Copper smelting.   I wanted to be real nit-picky and point out that the article (http://four.sm/HORgrs) says its built on the old Anaconda Copper Mine, but that mine is over in Butte (hehehe) and its the smelting plant that was in Anaconda underneath the course.  But I decided against it ... and then I went ahead and wrote it here anyways.  Those people that always have to know stuff and always have to be right ... they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying!!

Actually, if you  read the history, the old "Upper Works" smelter was used extensively for extracting the silver which was mixed in with copper ore.  It was later that they expanded the "Lower Works" and became more dedicated to copper, and later yet, the "New Works" on the other side of the valley was built totally for copper.  Further processing after the copper was extracted was done elsewhere.

Copper ore contains a lot of valuable stuff besides copper.  I worked in the Anaconda smelter in Great Falls for 3 years back in the 60's, and one of the byproducts of the process there was a black sludge (called sliver sludge), which was shipped out to another facility for further processing.  Each 4' x 2' x 1' box was insured for $4000, considerably more than the price of a typical new car.  The sludge contained stuff like iridium and other valuable rare earth metals.

Rick

Actually, if you  read the history, the old "Upper Works" smelter was used extensively for extracting the silver which was mixed in with copper ore.  It was later that they expanded the "Lower Works" and became more dedicated to copper, and later yet, the "New Works" on the other side of the valley was built totally for copper.  Further processing after the copper was extracted was done elsewhere. Copper ore contains a lot of valuable stuff besides copper.  I worked in the Anaconda smelter in Great Falls for 3 years back in the 60's, and one of the byproducts of the process there was a black sludge (called sliver sludge), which was shipped out to another facility for further processing.  Each 4' x 2' x 1' box was insured for $4000, considerably more than the price of a typical new car.  The sludge contained stuff like iridium and other valuable rare earth metals.

Whoops ... Sorry about that. Even worse than people who always correct you are those dummies who do it when they're wrong! ;) Thanks for the info, though. :)

I have never played any, but I'm surprised that Tobacco Road in North Carolina wasn't on the list.

Hoping to play El Camelon in April while in Cancun on vacation

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!