IGNORED

What are you Reading Right Now?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Sparknotes will help a lot. You’re gonna need something to guide you through this because going it alone makes the book borderline unreadable. I got this just to have something to explain the endless number of obscure references that are made throughout the text. It’s not necessary by any means but will explain a lot of confusing passages if you were curious.

And speaking of history, the famous line “history is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake,” is from Ulysses.

I will just treat it like my Thermo textbook. If I don't understand it, it must not be important! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I will just treat it like my Thermo textbook. If I don't understand it, it must not be important! :-P

👍 that works too 😀

Constantine

On 1/3/2019 at 7:14 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Is the short game bible any good? By that I mean do you believe it will help your game?

Of course Pelz believes the short game is the most important piece of the game and remember what forum you are posting in...but...yes...It has some great information.

Basic focus is on 100 yards and in. Short game. No full swing focus at all. I read it, plus a few others every winter. A fairly long read. As well as a little mental game and course management, his theory revolves around understanding/dialing in partial swing distance for short game.

Regardless of Whether you buy in to how much time should be devoted to  short game, it gives you a program to nail down your wedge distances.

You still have to execute. There is no substitute

I started re-reading "Jack Nicklaus' Playing Lessons" today. It's an oldy moldy book, with lots of illustrations

Not really looking for any swing tips. Just wanted to read something on golf in general. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Finally finished The Story of the Lost Child and it feels like a good friend died. One of the characters whom I sympathized with previously, although less and less, I grew to dislike, the other I had mixed feelings for as well, but boring they are not and less so their relationship. I did not expect talk of mainframes, floppy disks, but this in addition to themes of classism, corruption, work/family life balance, adultery, family ties, language, places that bind you ways you can't imagine, made the novels such page turners. I learned about Italy of the 60s and 70s, and maybe a little deeper insight into the world from a woman's point of view. And now, I can watch the evolving tv series as a smug book reader who knows all that will happen to the characters.

It's been awhile since I've read fiction, and most of it was genre fiction, Game of Thrones, The Expanse, reading this series has gotten me back interested in reading literary fiction again, much of the reading I've been doing is non-fiction and newspapers and magazines and that's all bad news practically. Not sure what to tackle next, so many choices, but a big hole in the classics haven't read is this:

9780062391667_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Not ready for Ulysses yet, one day...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just finished "Red War" a Mitch Rapp series book, the author is Kyle Mills, who took over the series a couple of books ago when Vince Flynn died.   I really have enjoyed the series which now has its 15th book.   Getting ready to read Brad Taylor's "Daughter of War" which is the 13th book in the Pike Logan series. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just started Ullysses by James Joyce thanks to @JetFan1983

Scott

My Swing Thread

!0% happier by Dan Harris

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 1/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, JuanTheGolfer said:

Just finished "Red War" a Mitch Rapp series book, the author is Kyle Mills, who took over the series a couple of books ago when Vince Flynn died.   I really have enjoyed the series which now has its 15th book.   Getting ready to read Brad Taylor's "Daughter of War" which is the 13th book in the Pike Logan series. 

I'm a big Vince Flynn / Mitch Rapp series fan as well, great books.  I also read the Pike Logan books - also really good.  Give Brad Thor, and to a lesser degree Ted Bell a shot if you haven't already.

Currently reading The Variant Saga series by JN Chaney.  It's Sci-fi, really more futuristic post-apocalyptic.  Good series with well developed characters, without the whineyness of the main characters in other somewhat similar series like The Hunger Games or the Divergent series.

Just finished Shadow Country and am now working through Cherry (which is actually pretty good).

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

WITSEC by Peter Earley and Gerald Schur.

It's a history of the American witness protection program. It's origins were shockingly humble considering what the program became. 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I just started Ullysses by James Joyce thanks to @JetFan1983

Dude, good luck with that. Couldn't finish it. Almost as hard to get through as Moby Dick.

I'm just finishing The God Delusion by Dawkins. Many years ago, I read a number of his evolutionary-themed books (e.g. Selfish Gene, etc.), which I really enjoyed. This book, however, I'm ambivalent about. While I, as does pretty much everyone who reads it, completely agree with the premise, it's very repetitive and already seems dated. For example,  Dawkins' Islamophobia is laughable. For me, the most problematic, but most original, part of the book is his "meme" explanation for the origin and spread of religious belief. Over the years, he's relied on memes to explain just about everything as he's moved out of his evolutionary biology background to applying evolutionary theory to sociology, religion, etc. And while it makes a good story, there's no real data for these theories, making them more philosophical than scientific.

4 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Dude, good luck with that. Couldn't finish it. Almost as hard to get through as Moby Dick.

I'm just finishing The God Delusion by Dawkins. Many years ago, I read a number of his evolutionary-themed books (e.g. Selfish Gene, etc.), which I really enjoyed. This book, however, I'm ambivalent about. While I, as does pretty much everyone who reads it, completely agree with the premise, it's very repetitive and already seems dated. For example,  Dawkins' Islamophobia is laughable. For me, the most problematic, but most original, part of the book is his "meme" explanation for the origin and spread of religious belief. Over the years, he's relied on memes to explain just about everything as he's moved out of his evolutionary biology background to applying evolutionary theory to sociology, religion, etc. And while it makes a good story, there's no real data for these theories, making them more philosophical than scientific.

I agree about Moby Dick. That one was tough. But I will be able to answer a lot of Jeopardy questions about James Joyce now!

Scott

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, Eric C said:

I'm a big Vince Flynn / Mitch Rapp series fan as well, great books.  I also read the Pike Logan books - also really good.  Give Brad Thor, and to a lesser degree Ted Bell a shot if you haven't already.

Currently reading The Variant Saga series by JN Chaney.  It's Sci-fi, really more futuristic post-apocalyptic.  Good series with well developed characters, without the whineyness of the main characters in other somewhat similar series like The Hunger Games or the Divergent series.

Eric C   Thanks for the suggestion of Ted Bell.... I will put his books on my reading list

I also like  Alex Berenson, Lee Child, Daniel Silva, Jeffrey Deaver, David Baldacci, Lincoln Child, Michael Connelly. Ricard Marcinko, Randy Wayne White, Stephen Coonts, James Rollins, .....    and a lot of others.  My approach is to start at the first book in each of their series and read until I am current.   I enjoy reading in the evenings instead of watching TV (since there is soooo  little on it that I can enjoy).  

My go to is  Fantastic Fiction, since it lists the books in order that were written by the author, and suggestions at the bottom for similar books.   

fflogo.png

Browse bestselling fiction authors, books and series in order. Sign up to follow authors; keep track of your books; discover new books from our...

I just finished "Football for a Buck" by Jeff Pearlman about the USFL. It was a good read. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

12 hours ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

Eric C   Thanks for the suggestion of Ted Bell.... I will put his books on my reading list

I also like  Alex Berenson, Lee Child, Daniel Silva, Jeffrey Deaver, David Baldacci, Lincoln Child, Michael Connelly. Ricard Marcinko, Randy Wayne White, Stephen Coonts, James Rollins, .....    and a lot of others.  My approach is to start at the first book in each of their series and read until I am current.   I enjoy reading in the evenings instead of watching TV (since there is soooo  little on it that I can enjoy).  

My go to is  Fantastic Fiction, since it lists the books in order that were written by the author, and suggestions at the bottom for similar books.   

fflogo.png

Browse bestselling fiction authors, books and series in order. Sign up to follow authors; keep track of your books; discover new books from our...

My wife and I met Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston and a book signing. They are both very funny. I really like their writing style together and individually.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!