IGNORED

Nike Golf Equipment

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When reading discussions of the top drivers and irons, it seems as though Nike is rarely mentioned.  Now while I understand certain PGA tour guys use the equipment cause they are paid nicely to do so, but it reality is Nike just not that great when it comes to golf clubs?  I have Nike Ignite irons and have just been toying with the idea of buying new irons, but haven't really found much at all of people recommending the Nike VRS Covert Irons, nor can I even find anyone selling Nike Irons in left-handed anymore!  I tend to be a "brand *****" so I get stuck on a brand of clothes, shoes, golf equip, etc...but I also don't wanna be playing with crap either.

Shhh come to the darkside; we have :mizuno: ;)

Can't speak from experience as I only ever used Nike Sumo SQ irons which were good but not fantastic. Only ever hit a Nike driver once and I hit the best drive of my life so I'm not keen on hitting it again (my wallet/wife won't like it) ;)

If you live in Irving, Texas, you have plenty of golf shops to visit in the greater Dallas area.

You could have one of them fit you and factory-order you some Nike clubs in left-handed. The Nike site says they make left-handed in the VRS Covert line, irons and woods.

Also, you might go online to Nike and chat with a player's rep.

Is Nike not that great ? Tiger and others play Nike clubs and win with them. You might focus on getting Nike clubs that are right for your swing and game.

As a 01 HDCP, you might look at VRS Pro Combo irons if they come in left-handed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The handicap is a generic number I inputted cause I honestly don't know what mine is!

There are plenty of stores but rarely do any of them have left-handed clubs in stock to try out, and if they do it will be only one brand that they just so happen to have.  Basically no assortment to try out and/or demo on the simulator.  A few places have told me that they cannot order different lefty sets for me to "try out" in the store, so basically I have to buy something based on reviews and then hope like hell that I fall in love with them.  Golfsmith has the like 30 day play guarantee but it's only valid on certain clubs and brands according to their online rep.  Being left handed sucks!!  My local Dick's Sporting Goods had 2 drivers and 1 iron set in lefty, multi Golfsmith stores have had 2 drivers and not a single iron set in lefty.

I tried the Covert irons but didn't hit them well.  It could have been the stock shafts but I hit the Mizuno JPX-825's and Callaway X-Hot irons better.  Golfsmith usually has a decent assortment of irons in LH as does Golf Galaxy.

Nike makes great stuff, easily among the best, IMO.  Theres still a lot of people out there who are Nike haters.  IMO, it comes mostly from the days when Tiger had a full Nike deal, even though Nike didnt make clubs or balls at the time and Nike took his gear and basically copied it but put Nike logos on everything.  Theres still a lot of people out there who feel that Nike bought their way into the golf industry.

Ive played Nike gear in the past and if I werent such a Mizuno fanboy, Id probably be playing a full Nike bag right now.

I'm not a Nike hater and Im sure they make some decent equipment but I had a bad experience with the original slingshot irons. I know....its not the arrow its the Indian.

Bad in what way?

Bad in what way?

They made a whistling sound which was very distracting on my downswing and Icouldnt seem to get any distance so I swtched back to the Hogans I was  gaming earlier. Suffice it to say I offed em on ebay for 150 bucks.

Nike has made some classics which would seem to prove their mettle: VR Tour Driver, Method putters, SQII fairway, Original SUMO2 driver, Pro Combo irons, VR forged wedges...  A lot of it is Tiger but also people use it and like it so the demand remains even today on all of these items.  VRS hybrids were super long for me in the simulator but aside from that none of the current or previous generation lineup has really cemented itself as legend-status equipment, at least in my mind.  There is, however, more competition than ever in the past couple of years which has to do with it.  The golf industry will probably have to shed a couple of brands soon if the rest of the manufacturers are to make any money going forward.

I can understnd someones loyalty to a particular maker or brand especially in regards to sponsorship but I have a mixed bag and buy what works best for my swing regardless of the company.

Nike has come a loooooooong way from the original Slingshots.  That be like saying you dont like Callaway because you tried the original Big Berthas and didnt like them.

Yeah....I think them original slingshots gave them a black eye and bad rep in the beginning. They tried innovation and it failed miserably. Thankfully they ditched those tire irons and hired some better engineers and started stealing technology like Callaway does....lollll...first impressions go a long way when it comes to golf equipment. My buddy is an Oregon Duck fan and his bag is all Nike. At least he doesn't blame the stick on all his chunks, shanks, tops and dead hits. He has a way of masking that vibration sting.

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!