IGNORED

Workout BEFORE or AFTER golf?

Crim
Note: This thread is 1953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The weights, sets, and reps I use are light enough for me not to fatigue. Try it with light dumbbells. The Stack website has a good video on how to perform the dumbbell powerclean and press. When I use the Dumbbell Power Clean and press as a warm up activity prior to playing a round of golf, it is not to increase strength and muscle mass.

I might be misunderstanding you but 70% of your single RM is a kind of standard for muscle building, that shouldn’t be light. If it was something like 20% it would seem more likely. Imo cleans are great for workouts but there are a lot better exercises to warm up with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, JxQx said:

I usually workout after golf because I would not want to be worn out before the round. I do typically do some warming up and stretching before each round though.

Power cleans are more of a workout exercise than a warm up movement especially at those weights and reps.

For a golfer who is new to strength training, 70% of 1rpm is heavy. For the golfer who has been lifting weights for several years......70% may feel like 20% of 1rpm. 

Just want to share what i do for a golf warm up. 

12 hours ago, kenhockey2 said:

For a golfer who is new to strength training, 70% of 1rpm is heavy. For the golfer who has been lifting weights for several years......70% may feel like 20% of 1rpm. 

Just want to share what i do for a golf warm up. 

If 70% feels like 20% then its probably not 70% of your one rep max. 

70% of your one rep max should always be difficult no matter how long you've been lifting because it's not a stagnant weight, its a percentage of your max output.

Using 70% of my 1rpm with the Dumbbeii Power clean and Press for 1 set of 8 reps is what I use sometimes to warm up for a round of golf. My first set is at 50% of 1rpm, second ser is at 60% of 1rpm.

It works for me as a golf warm up. You are more than welcime to try my warm up routine, Dumbbell Power clean and press  prior to playing a round of golf. Share your experience with me.and the other members of this blog. 

• 2 weeks later...

JxQx:

Thanks for clarification on 1rpm for dumbbell power clean and press. I am now warming up 3x10 with 20 - 40% of 1 rpm for Dumbbell Power Clean and press prior to playing golf. This movement really gets my body physically ready to swing the clubs. 

What is your warm up before playing golf?

• 1 month later...

I really like to get exercise prior to a golf round. No weight training, just a good 4 or 5 mile run.  I find that it really helps my golf game.  I am much looser, focused, and happier.   Plus, if I don't do it before the round...it is unlikely that I am going to get any exercise post round.  The problem is that after a round, I enjoy drinking a beer, relaxing, and getting a bite to eat.  Going to the gym or a run around the neighborhood doesn't sound as doable after a round.  Golf and exercise are equally important...but no weight lifting prior to a round.  It definitely messes me up.  

I like to either do indoor spinning or the elliptical machine for 30 minutes followed by resistance band exercises prior to playing a round of golf. My warm up takes 35 to 40 minutes. 

When I arrive at the course, I putt and swing my irons for 5 mins before I tee off.

After golf, I always do a cool down, 15 minutes of indoor spinning as an active recovery modality.

Finally, drink an 8 oz protein shake. 

Finally

I will wait one hour after my cool down activity and protein shake before drinking a beer. 

I dont need to drink beer after a round of golf. Sometimes, my golf buddies tease me for not drinking beer after the round. I don't let it bother me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Workout  is the first thing I do every morning.  And my routine doesn't change when I have a tee time.  But having read that study makes me wonder.  I have noticed on the days when the tee time is soon after my workout, my score does tend to be higher.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I workout in the mornings before work. I ride my road bike on the weekends in the morning. If it is wet or cold, I will do 60 minutes of indoor spinning intervals. Then, I will do an active recovery workout in the late afternoon. 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 
I have just been reading this thread, as I previously was unsure on how to foam roller correctly too. I read this blog about foam rolling online and I learnt loads from it, so I thought I’d share it with you so hopefully you can benefit from reading it too! 

https://www.choicephysio.co.uk/single-post/FoamRoller

Hope that helps!

Geoff 

moderator note: usually I won’t approve first time posters with links. In this case, the poster struck me sincere but if it turns out this is self promotional, we will remove it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have recently began running and working out more, after a 10 yr or so period of very little working out (2-3x p/month).  I've recently ran twice before golf (just 2 miles or so at an easy pace) and both times played much better as I felt looser and lighter.  I did some basic calisthenics along with the runs, but no weightlifting.  If I decide to have a couple of beers during or after the round, it's ok because the workout has already occurred.

I'm in a tournament this weekend with a 0815 tee time and plan to run 2 miles at 0530 both days.  We'll see how it goes!

Definitely workout before.  You feel energized.  After walking a round of golf or even a prolonged simulator session wears me out.  I'd rather workout before and get it done.  Plus you feel jacked afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!