IGNORED

Lowest Score Wins - a first-of-its kind golf book for anyone who wants to lower their score

david_wedzik
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hmmm ... Got my book exactly 4 weeks ago.

Handicap when it arrived:     7.4

Handicap after 7/1 revision:  6.8

After 7/15 revision:              6.4

After 8/1 revision:                6.3 (or perhaps even better if I can squeeze in another round this month)

If you'll excuse my skepticism, could you maybe provide some more information here. What is it that you did differently to make such a big improvement?

If you'll excuse my skepticism, could you maybe provide some more information here. What is it that you did differently to make such a big improvement?

He read the book "Lowest Score Wins" and diligently implemented the strategies and techniques discussed in it.

http://lowestscorewins.com

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm ... Got my book exactly 4 weeks ago.

Handicap when it arrived:     7.4

Handicap after 7/1 revision:  6.8

After 7/15 revision:              6.4

After 8/1 revision:                6.3 (or perhaps even better if I can squeeze in another round this month)

Sure, no problem.  First of all. I was being a bit tongue in cheek about it ... one of the previous posters was asking people to quantify improvement from the book, and like @Pretzel , I happened to see quite a bit of improvement in that same timeframe, so I tried to appease him.  But, yeah, I was mostly joking.  However, as a member of this website for almost three years now I have been learning A LOT of the stuff that is in the book.  Additionally, I've been a student of @iacas , @david_wedzik , @mvmac , and company for almost two years now, learned their swing philosophy, their practice philosophy, their short game techniques, green reading techniques, and last and certainly not least, I got fitted for a putter.

That said, there is still a ton of new stuff in the book - yes, even for Mr. TST addict with almost 10k posts over here :8) - and it has definitely saved me a couple of strokes in the last month.  Was the book the sole reason my handicap dropped in that timeframe?  Definitely not.  But would it be a little higher without it?  Almost certainly.  But most importantly:

Since starting to implement philosophies of the authors, which was about the same time I started on this website (January 2012 or so), my handicap has dropped from just north of 10 to what it is now.  Sooooooo .... you be the judge. :beer:

He read the book "Lowest Score Wins" and diligently implemented the strategies and techniques discussed in it.

http://lowestscorewins.com

Still haven't figured the best way to "officially" plot my shot zones, but just having the idea in my head is a lot of help.  I know my ball flight enough to know that my shot zones will be very similar to the sample in the book (short and right of my target, by and large) and I know that they'll get bigger for longer clubs, so just using that little primitive bit of info is helping a ton.

By the way, I'm about halfway through reading it the second time ... getting a lot of stuff I missed. :-D

. Whatever.

LOL. Sorry, but it is what it is...

LSW doesn't have much "how to swing the club" info in it but there is a bit. Mostly it's about how to make decisions on the course that will give you the best opportunities to score lower. There are a LOT of old sayings like "drive for show and putt for dough" and "you gotta keep it in the fairway" that are actually false and hinder your ability to really score low. Reading the book will change your perspective on how to play the game as well as how to work on your game in a way that maximizes your changes at lowering your scores.

Well worth the money IMHO. Best golf book I've ever read and I've read a crapload. What I really like about it is there is NO vagueness in it. Everything is backed up with concrete data and "proven".

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

LOL. Sorry, but it is what it is...

LSW doesn't have much "how to swing the club" info in it but there is a bit. Mostly it's about how to make decisions on the course that will give you the best opportunities to score lower. There are a LOT of old sayings like "drive for show and putt for dough" and "you gotta keep it in the fairway" that are actually false and hinder your ability to really score low. Reading the book will change your perspective on how to play the game as well as how to work on your game in a way that maximizes your changes at lowering your scores.

Well worth the money IMHO. Best golf book I've ever read and I've read a crapload. What I really like about it is there is NO vagueness in it. Everything is backed up with concrete data and "proven".

+1

- Shane

. Whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf-noob-bruce

@Ernest Jones is correct generally in that regard. I am sorry to say you might not get more DETAILED information out of that because Erik and Dave deserve to have people buy their book because it is a GREAT golf book. Sharing detailed information here would be stealing the hard work they put in the book.

Generally what has helped my game is implementing their techniques on how to determine the best shot for each specific situation I encounter. They have a simple method to help players visualize and determine which club to hit, and where to aim. That alone has shaved a few strokes off my round because it has limited mistakes and if I missed a green put me in a position to were I have an easy up and down shot.

There are also great tips and drills to help with many aspects of the game, as well as how to prioritize your practice. That there will help lower your score because you can isolate your weaknesses as well, and keep you from wasting time on things you do not need to be working on.

In the end, to get the full benefit, buy the book and read it.

Sure, no problem.  First of all. I was being a bit tongue in cheek about it ... one of the previous posters was asking people to quantify improvement from the book, and like @Pretzel, I happened to see quite a bit of improvement in that same timeframe, so I tried to appease him.  But, yeah, I was mostly joking.  However, as a member of this website for almost three years now I have been learning A LOT of the stuff that is in the book.  Additionally, I've been a student of @iacas , @david_wedzik , @mvmac, and company for almost two years now, learned their swing philosophy, their practice philosophy, their short game techniques, green reading techniques, and last and certainly not least, I got fitted for a putter.

Yep same here. Mostly I found that my scores have become less volatile after reading and implementing some aspects from the book. Even when I am having a bad ball striking round, I can still score decent because my bad ball striking still ends up in a reasonable spot on the course.

Still haven't figured the best way to "officially" plot my shot zones, but just having the idea in my head is a lot of help.  I know my ball flight enough to know that my shot zones will be very similar to the sample in the book (short and right of my target, by and large) and I know that they'll get bigger for longer clubs, so just using that little primitive bit of info is helping a ton.

By the way, I'm about halfway through reading it the second time ... getting a lot of stuff I missed.

I still need to work on getting my Shot Zone's developed. I am not sure If I need to do all the clubs, or maybe do one club per category; wedges, short irons, mid irons, long irons. I would presume all the clubs act similar, and I can just scale them up or down a tad.

Yep, I need to re-read the book again.

Yep. I have read my fair share of golf books. Mostly on swing mechanics. This is the first book in which I can say it applies to every golfer out there.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@Ernest Jones is correct generally in that regard. I am sorry to say you might not get more DETAILED information out of that because Erik and Dave deserve to have people buy their book because it is a GREAT golf book. Sharing detailed information here would be stealing the hard work they put in the book.

Totally get that.

Originally Posted by saevel25

They have a simple method to help players visualize and determine which club to hit, and where to aim.

Thanks. That sounds cool and was the kind of thing I was hoping to read.

OK, this is good.  If you wanted to boil down the book into a vague one sentence "What critics are saying" type synopsis, this is pretty good:

Reading the book will change your perspective on how to play the game as well as how to work on your game in a way that maximizes your chances at lowering your scores.

And another that is a bit more specific to the strategy section:

Even when I am having a bad ball striking round, I can still score decent because my bad ball striking still ends up in a reasonable spot on the course.

So, I give credit partially to this book as to my handicap going down as well! It was a 12.5 and after this weekend I am now looking at an 11.5. I'm partially giving it credit because FOR ME I am working in Evolvr and some of the stuff that I could comprehend from Evolvr happened to be explained in a better/different way in TLSW. That has helped me regain my length and be more accurate whilst also for the most part making better decisions. Sometimes my length gets me in to trouble when it shouldn't because i shouldn't be playing those shots, but I know that length and distance from the hole coincide VASTLY more with lower scores than just hitting from the fairway. It's helped a ton! Also, shot zoning has helped as well! This is honestly a great great book! The last piece that has helped me out A TON with my score (and it's partially as a result of this book and this website) is the explaination on the pitchshots in the book AND videos here to back it up! The biggest help for the pitch shot though has got to be the video with Dave Wedzick standing there showing what the right arm looks like picking up the club and then what the left arm looks like in follow through. I have gained 12 percentage points on my scrambling in a month just from this!

Totally get that.

Thanks. That sounds cool and was the kind of thing I was hoping to read.

@golf-noob-bruce ,

For more detail, my review and other reviews are below.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This may have been covered but is there a epub or kindle option out there for the book? I have a tendency to be more available to read on my mobile device.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
This may have been covered but is there a epub or kindle option out there for the book? I have a tendency to be more available to read on my mobile device.

It has been covered. No, there is not. If there was we'd list it on the site. There won't be until at least several months.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As far as I know not yet, and from what I remember it might not be for a while.. ps I have a copy in the states waiting for me to read and I won't be able to till sept.. Tough luck huh!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

It has been covered. No, there is not. If there was we'd list it on the site.

There won't be until at least several months.

Any reason why so long? Or do you guys just prefer to sell the books?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
Any reason why so long? Or do you guys just prefer to sell the books?

Because we don't want to usurp the publishers who will take over.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"you gotta keep it in the fairway" that are actually false and hinder your ability to really score low. Reading the book will change your perspective on how to play the game as well as how to work on your game in a way that maximizes your changes at lowering your scores.

The bit about keeping it in the fairway actually changed how I aim to play one tough hole at my home course since reading the book, and have kept my score below my prior scoring average on that hole every time since reading it (4 rounds and counting). I average 5.x on that hole, and have only made par (4) a handful of times. Last four rounds: 5-4-5-5, and two of those three fives I had a reasonable shot at a 4 (makeable, but not trivial, putt). The longest putt I had to make for a 5 in those rounds was four feet.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Played my three worst rounds in quite some time last week in Myrtle Beach. Couldn't help thinking about this book today when I was in the car, decided it's time to take a new approach. Happy to say I finally ordered my copy tonight. Really excited to get it and start reading!

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!