IGNORED

Anyone else find it easier to hit blades?

dwade247
Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was just messing around hitting golf balls and I noticed some old "Jack Nicholas" blades. I grabbed a couple of them along with some offbrand (I think acuity) cavity backs. The blades felt so much better. They were nice and light and didn't have a huge clumsy head on em. Has anyone else (especially high handicappers) found it easier to hit blades?

Used blades for many years, Ping S59. Mid season I switched to Ping G25's. Gained about 5 yards per club and off center hits performance was better with the G25's. Still adjusting.

If you develop your swing using blades, it is sometimes difficult to transition to cavity backs, at least the game improvement type of cavity backs.

I don't know if Hogan Radials (early 80's) qualify as "blades", but they're not tremendously harder for me to hit than my Adams A4's (GI). An off-center shot with either is not good.

In some ways, I really like the smaller club head of the Hogans. But I tend to believe what the majority of experienced players say about GI clubs and I need all the help I can get right now.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you mean Jack Nicklaus?

Yes I did, knew someone was going to point this out. I pretty much agree with everyone else. The GI irons are probably easier to hit but I personally feel they are very clunky. However I have only hit cheap clubs. Are there any GI irons out there that have smaller heads with thinner soles?

Yes I did, knew someone was going to point this out. I pretty much agree with everyone else. The GI irons are probably easier to hit but I personally feel they are very clunky. However I have only hit cheap clubs. Are there any GI irons out there that have smaller heads with thinner soles?

That would tend to go against the GI theme.  Take a look at the Mizuno MP 54 irons, good mix of both worlds.  Just hit them the other day and was very impressed.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

.... Has anyone else (especially high handicappers) found it easier to hit blades?

Not me. My game needs improvement and game improvement clubs work better for me.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I don't think I would say I find them easier to hit, but I have a LOT more confidence hitting a blade over a GI and for sure a super GI iron.  I just can't get past the thick top line and offset, I just don't feel like I'm hitting a golf club, I struggle trying to hit GI irons.

• Upvote 2

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Ive never found it easier to hit blades but blades are certainly much more satisfying when struck well.  Having said that, Ive tried blades and I still play cavity backs.  Golf is hard enough already, no sense in making it even harder with blades.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I play with cavity backs (it's all I've ever owned) but the times I hit someone's blades I hit them just fine.

Usually pull the first shot or two with blades because the MOI from the shaft to the toe makes the blade seem easier to square up. After a shot or two the adjustment isn't a problem.

I don't think I would say I find them easier to hit, but I have a LOT more confidence hitting a blade over a GI and for sure a super GI iron.  I just can't get past the thick top line and offset, I just don't feel like I'm hitting a golf club, I struggle trying to hit GI irons.

I think this is how I was feeling when I hit the blades. Blades are so simple and when I look at the club head it just says to me, "go get that dang ball and smack it!"

• Upvote 1

Titleist AP2 are another option that provide a player's look with a little added sole relief and forgiveness on off-center hits.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I used my blades to hit Jack once, and I couldn't tell the difference between blades and CB.... ;-) I learned on Blades, quit the game for 11 years, got back into golf this Spring and got X20's, switched back to blades and will never look back again.

Titleist AP2 are another option that provide a player's look with a little added sole relief and forgiveness on off-center hits.

They had a demo day going at the course I played yesterday.  I got to hit the 714 AP2's and MB's.......while I didn't get much time with them (had to get to the tee), my quick impression was that as much as I'd like to be able to play the MB's, they're too much club for me.  I'm sorry, but you have to be a very consistent ball striker to play them effectively.   The AP2's were outstanding though.  VERY impressive.....and they look almost identical to the MB's at address, which surprised me a little.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I definitely strike the ball the same with MB's and CB's. With rare exception it's usually bad and not in the intended direction. I'll take all the technological help I can get.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!