IGNORED

iPad Mini and iPad Air and 120 fps

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you think they will eventually get it? If they do, I wonder if people will buy either because of golf as one of the main reasons. If Apple allows you to use 120 fps in the API, could see some interesting apps.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

120fps is a little low for decent footage of a golf swing; it's *ok* in a pinch but it's far from ideal. Bare minimum I believe is 240 fps for good video.

Don't get me wrong; I still use the 120fps on my iPhone 5S but if I was videoing my swing regularly with the idea of doing detailed analysis I'd fork out for a dedicated camera, not just use a phone/iPad.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I think it might be useful for golf pros, especially if they use trackman, GC2, or flightscope. I don't use them so I don't know if the apps for these equipment film swings, but if they did incorporate high speed into the iPad, then the apps could be updated not only to track ball flight but also film the swings - like putting a picture/video to the numbers.

120fps is a little low for decent footage of a golf swing; it's *ok* in a pinch but it's far from ideal. Bare minimum I believe is 240 fps for good video.

Don't get me wrong; I still use the 120fps on my iPhone 5S but if I was videoing my swing regularly with the idea of doing detailed analysis I'd fork out for a dedicated camera, not just use a phone/iPad.

For the iPhone 5S, I think the video quality is sufficient enough. I did some videos of my swing with the 5S in high speed and what I liked is that the HD quality was maintained and I didn't see a shaft blur. It's pretty detailed when you slide the bar left and right to see the different positions of the swing and I think it's a pretty good substitute for a Casio considering it's an "everyday use" item.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I think it might be useful for golf pros, especially if they use trackman, GC2, or flightscope. I don't use them so I don't know if the apps for these equipment film swings, but if they did incorporate high speed into the iPad, then the apps could be updated not only to track ball flight but also film the swings - like putting a picture/video to the numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

For the iPhone 5S, I think the video quality is sufficient enough. I did some videos of my swing with the 5S in high speed and what I liked is that the HD quality was maintained and I didn't see a shaft blur. It's pretty detailed when you slide the bar left and right to see the different positions of the swing and I think it's a pretty good substitute for a Casio considering it's an "everyday use" item.

As I said above I use my own 5S to video my swing when there's something specific I'm working on so It's more than adequate for an overall view of the swing. Where it would struggle is if you're trying to get clear images of face angle as an example which is why if I was wanting to regularly video and fix my swing I'd go for a higher FPS Casio type device.

This video was shot a few weeks ago of my brother in law as a sample. Playback is at 1/4 speed (the default):

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Next gen ipad..reported to have this,,and better retina screen. Can't wait

The new ones are already out. They have a retina screen but not slow-motion.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The new ones are already out. They have a retina screen but not slow-motion.

The 5S and Mini retina both have the same A7 chip and M7 coprocessor. Not sure if they're exactly the same, but I'm guessing the Mini right now is 120 fps capable, maybe due to limited time to market or maybe a business decision to leave it out on purpose.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Certainly has the horses to do higher FPS video but I guess the lens itself also comes into play. In an iPad Air vs iPhone 5S camera shootout the Air was comparable on everything except for low light where it didn't hold a candle to the 5S and unfortunately low light is essential for higher FPS video. If that issue is simple a software algorithm issue then 120 may indeed make it's way to the iPad Air but if it's the camera  I wouldn't hold your breath.

SWING DNA

Certainly has the horses to do higher FPS video but I guess the lens itself also comes into play. In an iPad Air vs iPhone 5S camera shootout the Air was comparable on everything except for low light where it didn't hold a candle to the 5S and unfortunately low light is essential for higher FPS video. If that issue is simple a software algorithm issue then 120 may indeed make it's way to the iPad Air but if it's the camera  I wouldn't hold your breath.

Ah, I forgot about that. Just assumed the lens was the same. I could only find these comparison samples:

http://wccftech.com/iphone-5s-camera-samples-compared-vs-ipad-air-and-mini-retina/

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Ah, I forgot about that. Just assumed the lens was the same. I could only find these comparison samples:

http://wccftech.com/iphone-5s-camera-samples-compared-vs-ipad-air-and-mini-retina/

Ah the one I looked at was:

http://www.imore.com/ipad-air-vs-iphone-5s-isight-camera-shootout

I honestly have no idea if it's the same spec camera or not so if it is then it stands to reason it's a decision by Apple and will likely be bypassed at some point as SnappyCam did with full resolution photos.

SWING DNA

Ah the one I looked at was:

http://www.imore.com/ipad-air-vs-iphone-5s-isight-camera-shootout

I honestly have no idea if it's the same spec camera or not so if it is then it stands to reason it's a decision by Apple and will likely be bypassed at some point as SnappyCam did with full resolution photos.

imore.com is a reliable source. The difference is pretty dramatic. If it's not the same camera, I think it'll be more than one iteration to get it. Oh well. :-(

Steve

It is not the same camera, lens doesn't make much of a difference. The Air uses a 5MP camera and the 5S uses a 8MP camera. The imore comparison is not scientific, from a true comparison of the sensor. The 5MP has a 1.75um pixel size with an F2.4 (I think) and the 8MP uses a 1.55um pixel with an F2 lens (I think). So they are likely very very similar in actual low light performance. The 5S uses some tricks to improve the low light performance. It bins down the image then blows it up again and makes it look good. This trick was identified when the 5 appeared so much better than the 4S using the same camera.

The 5MP cannot run 120fps. It is the same sensor that was in the iPhone 4. Max frame rate is 30fps (I think)

Eventually the iPad will get the same camera as the 5S and it will do the 120fps. But by then the 6S or whatever will maybe do the 240fps that the standalone cameras can do.

• Upvote 1

Michael

I have the ipad air..and an ipad 4. The wifi signal is so much stronger on the air..but picture quality is the same on both. I like the thin look..and the air runs smoother..IMO. When I put the 2 together..the 4 looks so clunky. Rumor has it an ipad 6 will be out this spring..I can't freaking keep up with apple. They are already making it sound like the "6 version" will be the ultimate. Increased retina screen and larger screen size..no add on ports..new processor. I think the air will be it for me....have ipad 1 thru air at home. Same Apple ID..always got a kick when I heard the email alarm go off on 3 units at the same time,,.. Unfortunately No 240 fps...but coaches eye does look smoother on the air,,and face time looks better on the new updated front camera. For the money..the 3 rd generation was the biggest upgrade by far.. Alrighty...back to apple forums..I love all the leaks and rumors,, I would honestly quit golf if I could get my hands on that new intel/labtop tablet coming out. That will be the front runner...IMO

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

@mchepp , you know what Apple did to make the camera apps work faster? On a 5S, right after I open any camera app, I can immediately take a photo - compared to a 4 or 4S. Is it anything other than faster processors?

Steve

It is not the same camera, lens doesn't make much of a difference. The Air uses a 5MP camera and the 5S uses a 8MP camera. The imore comparison is not scientific, from a true comparison of the sensor. The 5MP has a 1.75um pixel size with an F2.4 (I think) and the 8MP uses a 1.55um pixel with an F2 lens (I think). So they are likely very very similar in actual low light performance. The 5S uses some tricks to improve the low light performance. It bins down the image then blows it up again and makes it look good. This trick was identified when the 5 appeared so much better than the 4S using the same camera.

The 5MP cannot run 120fps. It is the same sensor that was in the iPhone 4. Max frame rate is 30fps (I think)

Eventually the iPad will get the same camera as the 5S and it will do the 120fps. But by then the 6S or whatever will maybe do the 240fps that the standalone cameras can do.

Yeah sorry the use of the word "lens" was a misnomer in my first post; I meant the whole camera itself. My bad.

Nice description of the specifics which eluded me though, thanks. :)

SWING DNA

@nevets88 The answer is mostly the processor. The camera start up times have improved and this helped. The increased frame rate allows you to have the zero shutter lag that the newer iPhones have. Apps are all related to the processor speed.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!