IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

The course I played yesterday was in full in season condition other than no leaves on budding trees. Crazy because none of the others in the area are even close. The only complaint I had was greens were slower than usual. It's a private club with fast, even greens. Yesterday it was a little fuzzy.

Nice pic with the mountains in the background.    What kind of grass is in the fairways?   They look a little shaggy to me.  Are those bluegrass/fescue fairways?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

It is bluegrass. We were just into the rough on the right side. That was Easter and it didn't look like they had mowed that day. Really early for grass to be that green. The other courses I play still don' t look like that but the heavy rain should change that.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is this thread still going?    Sheesh......  I live in the Midwest where it's cold, and it was 75-80 degrees today when I played golf.  LOL

Unfortunately yes. We got 18" of snow where I am. But in Denver most of the snow has melted.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

It is bluegrass. We were just into the rough on the right side. That was Easter and it didn't look like they had mowed that day. Really early for grass to be that green. The other courses I play still don' t look like that but the heavy rain should change that.

It has been really green in Colorado so far. Probably going to have the best conditions of the year in May and June. Hopefully this is the last blast of snow though.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Well up here in Maine we got rid of all our snow, but now we have rain the next four days, in fact my PC is next to my window and it's a full on downpour outside, so this might tag on an additional week or two of time before the courses open :( as the saying goes

"when it rains, it pours"

-Josh 

"Why set yourself up for Failure, when you can set yourself up to succeed" -GolfMaineiac26

I can't really complain because pretty much all courses are now open here, but these next couple of weeks are looking really shitty.

It's more like windy spring depression here. Every time out wind in the 15 mph range with gusts over 20. I don't make huge adjustments or anything but when the wind is wobbling the ball on a tee it tends to blow it around in the air. Other day I pushed a shot that should have missed the green 10 yards right and the wind blew it left stopping about 3 feet left of the hole.

Finally broke the seal with my first soggy round. Played pretty pathetic and the greens were syrupy slow...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 3 months later...

Well, here's where all you in the northern climates can get your satisfaction. . .

It's 106F here and 114F in Palm Springs and will remain hot for a couple days. Too hot to play. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Michigan does have some advantages...  that's real hot.     Thanks for making me feel better about staying in Michigan.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Well, here's where all you in the northern climates can get your satisfaction. . .

It's 106F here and 114F in Palm Springs and will remain hot for a couple days. Too hot to play. . .

It's been 114-115F here every day for about the past week.  We teed off the other day at 11:00 am, it was already 107F and got to 115F by the time we were done.  Nice thing about hot weather is that the courses are pretty much empty if you tee off any time after 7:30 am!  Drink lots of water, keep an ice cold towel handy and wet your hat as often as you can.

I'll take the summer heat over cold/snowy winters any time.  We can still play golf during our "bad" weather, and I've never had to shovel sunshine! :-D

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71391/winter-depression-thread/1836#post_1185034"]   Well, here's where all you in the northern climates can get your satisfaction. . . It's 106F here and 114F in Palm Springs and will remain hot for a couple days. Too hot to play. . . [/QUOTE] It's been 114-115F here every day for about the past week.  We teed off the other day at 11:00 am, it was already 107F and got to 115F by the time we were done.  Nice thing about hot weather is that the courses are pretty much empty if you tee off any time after 7:30 am!  Drink lots of water, keep an ice cold towel handy and wet your hat as often as you can. I'll take the summer heat over cold/snowy winters any time.  We can still play golf during our "bad" weather, and I've never had to shovel sunshine! :-D

I was only trying to make the northerners feel a bit better. ;-) I teed off at odark 30 yesterday doubled the first two holes in complete darkness, but it was cool.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 month later...

We got our first taste last weekend with lows in the 40's. It was 48 when we teed off Sunday morning and not being accustomed to it after a hot summer we were cold.

I've had my fill this year so from here until spring not going to push it either it's nice enough to play or it's not. My new standard will be over 50 sunny and mild. If wind exceeds 10 mph or cloud cover makes it feel less than 50 it's a deal breaker.

My plan is to work on things at the indoor range and get back to martial arts training to increase my flexibility. That will keep my busy and hopefully get me focused to start fresh and hit it hard next season. I have specific golf goals for 2016. If I don't meet them I will be done with golf.

We got our first taste last weekend with lows in the 40's. It was 48 when we teed off Sunday morning and not being accustomed to it after a hot summer we were cold.

I've had my fill this year so from here until spring not going to push it either it's nice enough to play or it's not. My new standard will be over 50 sunny and mild. If wind exceeds 10 mph or cloud cover makes it feel less than 50 it's a deal breaker.

My plan is to work on things at the indoor range and get back to martial arts training to increase my flexibility. That will keep my busy and hopefully get me focused to start fresh and hit it hard next season. I have specific golf goals for 2016. If I don't meet them I will be done with golf.

No, no, no, it is was too early to bump this thread. We still have a good month and a half, at least, of good golfing weather.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Not me with leaves on the ground and conditions getting worse I am winding it down. I intended to play 36 holes on Sunday and my folks could only hack 9 early that morning. I went out again around 2 and the wind made it so cold I left after 12 holes. I suspect that by 11/01 things could be very different. This CO native says winter comes early.

• 4 weeks later...

Day light savings is so dumb.

45* this morning on the way to work, but its still nice out. I am not looking forward to the winter coming. My handicap has dropped 2 strokes this season, and I really want to keep working on my game. Looks like my range session is going to have to be during lunch instead of after work now...

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

65 degrees today on our last week of our course being open... Played 31 holes before having to pick up my kiddo...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"