IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It was 82 degrees here yesterday. We're supposed to get some snow flurries today. 50 degree temperature drop within 24 hours.

That would drive me nuts. Your temperature fluctuations over there can be a little extreme.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It was 82 degrees here yesterday. We're supposed to get some snow flurries today. 50 degree temperature drop within 24 hours.

They are already skiing in the mountains!   Of course, your weather is much different than say..Breck.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 10/25/2017 at 4:08 PM, dennyjones said:

What's it like in January?  Golfing weather?

In January and February you can certainly golf, but you wait until the afternoon.  Even a morning that starts out below freezing is usually around 60 by 1 or 2 o'clock.  Charlotte has some really great weather for golfing as long as you don't mind the heat of mid-summer.  

July/August can feel like you are golfing on the surface of the sun, but I don't mind the heat and play right through it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Antneye said:

In January and February you can certainly golf, but you wait until the afternoon.  Even a morning that starts out below freezing is usually around 60 by 1 or 2 o'clock.  Charlotte has some really great weather for golfing as long as you don't mind the heat of mid-summer.  

July/August can feel like you are golfing on the surface of the sun, but I don't mind the heat and play right through it.

We are still throwing around the idea of playing the snowbird thing. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We are still throwing around the idea of playing the snowbird thing. 

You wouldn't be disappointed.  There are some very nice courses in the area. 

On 10/26/2017 at 9:40 AM, klineka said:

I'm hoping to get out Sunday morning. Supposed to be a high of 46. Going to be chilly, but love the fall rates and the fact that I can get 18 holes with a cart for $30 on a course that is $65 in the summer!

I think the real key to playing in this kind of weather is to walk when possible. Constant movement will keep you body temperature up. Sitting in a cart not only doesn't do that, but it adds a wind chill factor as you zip around.

13 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I think the real key to playing in this kind of weather is to walk when possible. Constant movement will keep you body temperature up. Sitting in a cart not only doesn't do that, but it adds a wind chill factor as you zip around.

I did golf yesterday morning, I just wore multiple layers and wore an outer shell. Only thing I wish I would have had with me was a glove for my right hand. Was a little chilly on the first 2 holes but wasnt all that bad after that. Best part was that I was the first one out on the course. teed off at 8 and was done just before 10:30. Only time I had to wait was on an approach shot for a worker to finish mowing the green. Had my best putting round of the season too, only 28 putts!

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Here's an idea I always remember when hunting but rarely remember when golfing. Hand warmers! Open up a 2 pack, stick one in your right pocket for your bare hand, and stick one in the ball pocket of your bag! And before everybody jumps down my throat, yes, I know the warmer in the ball pocket is against the rules of golf!

If I was playing in a sanctioned competition, I would take other actions. But I'm not a fan of hitting frozen rocks with a golf club!

I had a tee time yesterday, but it snowed.  Today, it is sunny and in the 50's.  Hopefully all the snow will melt by Friday so that I can make up for yesterday's missed tee time.;-)

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I had a tee time yesterday, but it snowed.  Today, it is sunny and in the 50's.  Hopefully all the snow will melt by Friday so that I can make up for yesterday's missed tee time.;-)

Snow's gone downtown already. I'm planning on playing tomorrow, and I think all courses not in the mountains will be open.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

One of our local clubs is doing cheap November Fridays with food after.  They all do deals around my area this time of year to try and keep people going out and spending money.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

On 10/30/2017 at 4:19 PM, mcanadiens said:

Good point! And if you can't walk 18, just play 9! If you can't walk the whole 9, walk a hole or two and bring a heavy wrap to put over yourself when you're riding. I still love walking some, but my right knee really gives me Hell afterward!

Our snow is gone for a few days. Was able to get out in the yard and practice today.

I have the 15th off from work to go hunting, but I might try to hit the course as well - even though they're forecasting cold rain.

Jon

Winter depression! Carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. Surgery Nov 27. Haven't been able to hold a club since Sept 28. Probably won't until Christmas. Usually we can play most every weekend of the year. So, Winter Depression indeed. But the wound isn't near the heart, I suppose. -Marv 

Edited by MarvChamp
To remove double message!?

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 11/13/2017 at 5:37 AM, HozzleRocket said:

Been watching too many simulators on eBay that I really shouldn't buy.  Come January I have no doubt I will cave and buy through depression of no golf until April (Scotland)

Had the same problem, but not made of money, nor have the height in the house. Started looking at it by the hour. Even a cheap one at $15,000 US dollars/$35 hr rental=many freaking hours. Thats like 250 two hour trips. More trips than I have left. Maybe I should remortgage the house, build a higher ceiling extension-that makes more sense.