IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

• Administrator
On 1/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, RussUK said:

Still bad over there Erik?

Erie even got on the news over here last month and it looked bad.

We've had two melts since then, so it's not too bad right now. Today it was almost 60° (it's still 53° at 10pm right now), so it's been melting pretty well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could have golfed today but even a retiree has obligations..    Monday and today we had high temperatures of 52º...Hoping the weather just reverts to spring and continues to warm but...alas...I'm not betting against Winter.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Weather beaten northeastern kids when its 50 degrees. Break out the shorts!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yep, it's going back in the deep freeze with 2"-3" of snow tonight with temps in the upper teens. Highs in the low 20's tomorrow. La Nina doing her worst. Just have to face facts that this is going to be one of "those" Winters! Our roads are crumbling.

We've had a colder than normal January here in Charlotte, but the real problem is my club has brand new Tif Eagle Bermuda greens. Because they're new our superintendent has been forced to cover them when the temps drop to the low 20s (or the teens). We've been totally or partially closed for twenty of the thirty one days. Our senior group has really struggled to get out on the course. We're all hoping for a warmer February and an early Spring. Also, we hoping that by next Winter our greens will be mature enough to withstand these lower temperatures.

Heard this on the radio this morning:

"OMG, the groundhog predicts another 6 weeks of winter. Another, gasp, 6 weeks of 82 degree weather <here in Southern California>. . . :-P"

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Heard this on the radio this morning:

"OMG, the groundhog predicts another 6 weeks of winter. Another, gasp, 6 weeks of 82 degree weather <here in Southern California>. . . :-P"

Yeah, 82 degree weather is really the pits this time of year. In a couple of weeks we'll be in Monterey. Hopefully it will be cooled off by then, so I can get in some more winter golf.;-)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 minutes ago, Patch said:

Yeah, 82 degree weather is really the pits this time of year. In a couple of weeks we'll be in Monterey. Hopefully it will be cooled off by then, so I can get in some more winter golf.;-)

I predict we're going to get crucified by the Northerners. :-D

Have fun in Monterey. Shouldn't be too warm up there, but it might be windy.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

A little syrupy

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This is going to be one of those 6 month off-seasons for us.  Didn't get a huge amount of snow, but what we did get came early and for the most part stuck around.  Unfortunately had some melting and rain in early December, so likely will be dealing with winter-kill once the season does start. 

John

In Finland it's about -10 degrees celsius! Fortunately starting the golf season in Spain in a month, going to play 3 rounds. Then hopefully start playing in Finland late April or beginning of May

Ugh.  It's suppose to snow on Saturday.  Just in time for weekend golf.  I have a tee time on Sunday and hope the forecast is wrong.

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:56 AM, FinTurma said:

In Finland it's about -10 degrees celsius! Fortunately starting the golf season in Spain in a month, going to play 3 rounds. Then hopefully start playing in Finland late April or beginning of May

We are about the same situation.  No wonder so many people of Finish decent live around here.  I've got 4 March rounds scheduled in Southern Nevada / Western Arizona to get me warmed up for a late April start to the season. 

• Like 1

John

We've had a pretty mild winter in Denver so far, but it's been an annoying one. For the second week in a row, it's going to snow on the weekend. We've also been getting a shot of cold air and some snow pretty much every week, even though it hasn't been much snow. It hasn't been sunny enough for the snow to melt quickly, either. That means that golf courses have been closed because of snow pretty frequently and that a lot of driving ranges aren't open either. So it's been tough to get my golf fix in.

I'm starting to get that itch to get outside and play, or at least hit some balls. It will probably be another week before I can do that, though.

On the other hand, I should start doing some more indoor practice and mirror work at home. I've been really lazy about doing that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: