IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

I was having coffee in the kitchen this morning when I get a text from my buddy asking if I wanted to go play! I called him back and told him that of course I want to play, but it makes no sense. Went pheasant hunting yesterday afternoon once the rain lightened up, and it was an absolute quagmire! The ground is saturated, and there's nowhere for the water to go. 

I'd reconsider if we'd get an extended dry spell, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards for us. They're calling for more rain tomorrow, and it's opening day of deer season. I don't think I'll go out. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hauled the bag out of the basement Sunday.  After finishing the yard clean-up I went over to Fox Hills, my "winter home."  The course is seriously soggy but playable if one moves laterally out of the really wet areas.  Almost no wind and 45 degrees makes for a nice walk.

Everything is white today.  Bag is going back into the basement.

Brian Kuehn

Played yesterday. Course was very wet, but completely playable. Lots of people out (it's NYC after all), but we got out first and finish in 3 hours. Hoping for a few more decent weekends before snow shuts things down.

Woke up this morning and all of the local schools were closed.   We didn't get enough snow to sneeze at...It made an easy trip to Club Champion!   Ya me!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I am suppose to be back in CO next weekend, but the forecast isn't looking too good.  Hopefully, I can get a few rounds in before the real snow starts.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Looks like Sunday is good for some of the NE.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

As hard as the golf bug bit me this year, I can't be depressed with winter. My first sport love is ice hockey and so from mid Sept to the end of Mar, I get to play nets 4-6 times per week ( my goal is to deny yours) and the great thing about being a goalie is goalies don't pay to play. By not having to pay saves me $1600- $200/yr and most of the savings will go into golf come spring.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fever said:

As hard as the golf bug bit me this year, I can't be depressed with winter. My first sport love is ice hockey and so from mid Sept to the end of Mar, I get to play nets 4-6 times per week ( my goal is to deny yours) and the great thing about being a goalie is goalies don't pay to play. By not having to pay saves me $1600- $200/yr and most of the savings will go into golf come spring.

OK don't leave us hanging...Where are you located?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Not sure if this is a deal in your area, but the PGA Superstore gave me a $25 gift card when I renewed the annual practice plan which lets you practice indoors and is $150. Best winter deal I ever bought. Will apply gift card to a box of balls.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

The course flags are still up in RI, but the ground is frozen. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

I had the weirdest dream the other night. I was playing golf...IN MY HOUSE!! And with real clubs and balls, not nerf balls. The damage I was doing was quite extensive! One shot that stuck with me was trying to play a delicate chip shot to the dining room window sill! The ball rolled under a chair, and after I moved the chair I couldn't find it. I had to take a penalty!

Good grief! I think I'm going stir crazy and we're still a couple days short of the Solstice. Maybe I should go buy a "dream book" and see what lottery numbers I should play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we need @Rulesman to weigh in on this.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

52 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I had the weirdest dream the other night. I was playing golf...IN MY HOUSE!! And with real clubs and balls, not nerf balls. The damage I was doing was quite extensive! One shot that stuck with me was trying to play a delicate chip shot to the dining room window sill! The ball rolled under a chair, and after I moved the chair I couldn't find it. I had to take a penalty!

Good grief! I think I'm going stir crazy and we're still a couple days short of the Solstice. Maybe I should go buy a "dream book" and see what lottery numbers I should play. 

Mr. Bowman... I love it!  What a great dream... you must have had golf on the mind when you went to bed.  I expect to see an article soon in Golf Magazine outlining how to chip to a window sill.  Probably authored by Phil Mickelson.

I thought I'd post here since we got down to 61 today. A bit chilly. But I'm fighting through it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

I'm playing golf on Thursday.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets