IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

53 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

Ahh, it would appear Americans do the same as Brits. You used centigrade to for the cold temperatures, and Fahrenheit for the warmer.  

It didn't break right.

Five inches of snow hit on Friday before it really warmed up and enough of the snow was still there on Sunday to make it impossible. There would have been a window on Monday if it weren't for work. It has rained ever since.

Just one more day and I'd have had a chance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/31/2019 at 7:52 AM, mcanadiens said:

-4 this morning but not much wind. Already feels better.

We're going to be in the 50s by Sunday and that has the wheels turning.

Is it possible for the ground to thaw enough to make golf happen?

I was on the course Tuesday (2/5) less than a week after our polar vortex visit. The ground was thawed to at least 2.5 inches as I could push a long tee all the way down.  The city's executive course only has 7 holes open, weather permitting, so we went around three times.

Amazing how a bit of sun and warmer temps could work their magic so quickly.  Yes, much of the turf is a soggy mess but I have seen a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

35 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Amazing how a bit of sun and warmer temps could work their magic so quickly.  Yes, much of the turf is a soggy mess but I have seen a lot worse.

Yep. Walked around in the yard between the snow piles on Sunday and thought the same thing. 

The incessant need to make money is all that kept me off on Monday.

We've had freezing rain the last two days.   All schools have been closed.    There have been two school days in the last 9 weekdays.  

3 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Ahh, it would appear Americans do the same as Brits. You used centigrade to for the cold temperatures, and Fahrenheit for the warmer.  

We don't.   Most Americans don't have a clue when it comes to centigrade temperatures.   All reported temperatures are Fahrenheit.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Wishful thinking 😂

Montreal gets down to - F temps then all the way up to 50 is freakish but possible...

We got to freezing last night in So. Cal. but it’ll likely get to the 60s in some places.

Weird weather swings these days.

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

What the heck, it's your rainy season anyway. I was in the wholesale wine business for 30 years, and was working the market w/the sales mgr. of a winery in Paso Robles. She asked if we had a rainy season. I said yes, we call it the calendar year! 

“Seattle rain festival” Jan 1st to December 31st . I was given a T shirts by my cousins living up there as a kid because I complained about the early morning fog in Berkeley 😂🤪😂

f95ff1888a60f77a809ef0891b18e9c3.jpg

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, I'm up to 6 weeks of not playing golf outside of the range or simulator. Looks like that's set to continue, since we got another 6 inches of snow yesterday. It's been a frustrating winter for golf. Normally, we'll get enough melt and nice days that courses are open a lot of the winter. Most courses have been closed about a month now.

Hoping that the spring weather will be milder as a payback for the winter being pretty snowy.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Well, I'm up to 6 weeks of not playing golf outside of the range or simulator. Looks like that's set to continue, since we got another 6 inches of snow yesterday. It's been a frustrating winter for golf. Normally, we'll get enough melt and nice days that courses are open a lot of the winter. Most courses have been closed about a month now.

Hoping that the spring weather will be milder as a payback for the winter being pretty snowy.

Yeah.  It has been frustrating this winter.  Seems like just when we get enough melt to have some courses open, it snows again.

Hoping it will warm up next week when I am back in town to play.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yay, all last week was in the 50's and 60's... I can play golf!!!!!! 

Boo, it rained all last week... no golf.

Yay, it's not raining... I can play golf!!!!!

Boo, it's 18 degrees outside... no golf. 

Damned you, Ohio Weather!

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

59 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hit up eBay for a pair of used rain pants, a rain jacket, a beanie and a pair of golf gloves for use in the rain. You're good to go. When you play in the rain there are no crowds and it can be very serene. And make sure there's plenty of single malt scotch in your flask.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

New Guy here - 1st Post !!!!!!!!

Made a Major mistake.  Just bought a new set of clubs last week.  Driver and irons.  It'll probably be 2 months before I can get to use them here in Iowa !!!!!!  Sigh........  10:30am and it's a balmy -9 with 18mph winds ..  -21 wind chill......  Just a touch too windy for the driving range.......  Yee Haaaaaaaa

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

1 hour ago, IowaGreg said:

New Guy here - 1st Post !!!!!!!!

Made a Major mistake.  Just bought a new set of clubs last week.  Driver and irons.  It'll probably be 2 months before I can get to use them here in Iowa !!!!!!  Sigh........  10:30am and it's a balmy -9 with 18mph winds ..  -21 wind chill......  Just a touch too windy for the driving range.......  Yee Haaaaaaaa

Welcome to TST.   You've found the correct thread to complain about winter.     

Enjoy the forum!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 9:54 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

That's the bitch isn't it? For the last few years, every time it gets warm, it gets wet! Hell, it's gotten wet even while staying cold! It's just been wet! Second wettest year on record last year! At least up here, nothing ever completely dried out. Courses stayed a little "soft" the entire Summer. i was getting mud on the ball in August!

I am so sick of Winter! 

Hard to believe there really this much snow in Scottsdale.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Hard to believe there really this much snow in Scottsdale.

I've been to Scottsdale once. It rain 5 inches in three days. I swear I wasn't there yesterday!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I've been to Scottsdale once. It rain 5 inches in three days. I swear I wasn't there yesterday!

I was in Tucson last week where they get like 12" of rain per year.  I think it rained about every day for maybe a third of that total! Oh yeah, we got snow too on Friday, and the residents I spoke too who had been there a decade hadn't seen anything like it before. Maybe a dusting once or twice before.

Here's a shot of a saguaro cactus near the facility I was visiting. The flakes were HUGE, even if you can't really tell. By afternoon, it was pretty much all melted except for the mountain peaks surrounding the city.

saguaro-in-snow-tucson-Feb-2019.jpg

Edited by RandallT
spelling fix of saguaro
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Yeah, my in-laws winter in Tucson and sent us pictures of snow. It didn't look like much, but it snowed. It apparently also snowed in Vegas last week. Strange winter.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Currently it's 79* here and sunny.  Light breeze from the NE. 

Is there a thread to complain about summer?  All you folks in colder climes can rub it in come June-September. But for now, I'll take this weather!